Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-26-2012, 16:51   #1
israel 54
I'm here now...

Send a message via Yahoo to israel 54
Issue with an SKS I purchased.

Ok, before I start, I came to this forum because for the most part Ak's, AKM's and SKS' seem to run hand in hand. Now with my issue. I purchased a Yugo 59/66 from a friend as a favor. When he got it he payed a very low price for it and for a reason. It was originally equipped with the grenade launcher and the original owner was not to bright apparently. Instead of using a punch, driving out the pis and removing it that way he used a grinder, cut-off wheel or something and chopped of a fair portion of the barrel. Enough to make the overall length illegal. My friend brought it to me. I recut and threaded .5" of the barrel to a total length of 14.5 inches (still illegal, I know) but I added a 3" muzzel brake and a tack weld making the overall length 17" for the barrel. I just want to make sure that this is all correct and I should have no legal issues. Also between the break and gas block I have about 1.125 inches of exposed barrel does anyone know of a rail system that I can add so as to give it a front sight?
Old 03-26-2012, 21:51   #2
Veedubklown

You need to either blind pin it, tack weld it 2 or 4 times, silver solder it on, or weld over 50% of the circumference of the barrel. Good save on the SKS, btw.

You don't happen to have the front sight he cut off do you? You could weld that to the gas block. Or, you can get the Prince50 front sight.

There's mounts that replace your rear sight blade, and those hold zero great, or you can mount a reciever mounted rail, but then you need to screw that cover on through the hole the takedown pin is in, or it'll likely not hold zero with any optic.

The Kalashnikov Klub

Barrel chop is the last thing on my list

Last edited by Veedubklown; 03-26-2012 at 21:57..
Veedubklown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 23:21   #3
israel 54
I'm here now...

Ok, I' can do a full weld. I knew it had to be permanent I just wasnt sure as to how much had to be done for it to qualify. The front sight is completely gone. It has the rear in tact. I considered the tapco gas block with tac rail but it would be too far forward, almost in the middle of the rifle. It had the original wood but I had some things laying around from past build so I put a fiberforce stock on and just sanded and flat black painted the wood upper. I'll post a pic so you can see what I'm working with.
Old 03-26-2012, 23:39   #4
israel 54
I'm here now...

OK, Here is where I'm at with it. You have to click the top bar that says video. Do you know of an way I can put a 1" tack rail or the barrel or gas tube? or can you post a link to the one you were talking about. I'm good with doing the work on them, its just a matter of finding the parts that I want to the work. I was able to pick this up for a good price so I don't mind the work. It's going to be a coyote and critter getter anyway. Also the break is the SKS style but has multiple holes at each vent. would an AK-74 break help with the percussion and sound. Its louder now than when it was just short. I appreciate the help. since I had the stock and break. plus the time I have in the barrel work Normal rate I charge is $40 hr plus parts. I would have a total of $230 in it but I can't charge myself so I'm at $150 plus. a little time. Now to get sights on it and I'm done. Again, any help is appreciated

Last edited by israel 54; 03-27-2012 at 00:09.. Reason: attachment didnt post
israel 54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 17:58   #5
Veedubklown

Well heck, to put a front sight base on, your going to need to remove the muzzle break.

If you can remove it, you can put a sight on like this;

The Kalashnikov Klub

Or maybe cut the bottom off, and solder it on.

I'd just mount a rail (not on the hand guard, unless it's super solid.) and put a red dot on it.
Old 03-28-2012, 00:48   #6
israel 54
I'm here now...

I was looking at the Tapco gas blocks with the rail. I also considered mounting a short 1" picatinny rail on the barrel the just adding an AK style front sight. I don't really know. Advice is always appreciated and even sometimes considered, lol. Thanks.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:12   #7
Veedubklown

I'm not sure tapcos handguard will work with that stock. Also, their handguard is cut to work with the stock sight. You would need a rail mounted rear sight too, because your stock rear sight blade is way too low, it'd have to be a really low sight. Your better off with an optic, IMHO. The handguard rails don't work that great, unless your handguard is rock solid, then they're a pain to get on/off. Also the tapco one is made to lock into their stock, so they go best together.

Tags
barrel length, sbr, sks, yugo