Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-26-2012, 20:28   #1
NewGlocker28

NC Conceal Carry permit (how long must I wait)

Hey All,

I applied for my conceal carry permit back in February and, if I'm counting the days up correctly, today was day 45 since I turned in my application and I have yet to receive my permit in the mail. I know that in the past the county had 90 days to issue the permit but I was thinking the comprehensive gun bill last legislative session changed this to 45 days. Hopefully its in the mail and will be here by the end of the week. I was just wondering if anyone else has had to wait the full 45 days (and beyond). I'm in Wake County btw if that matters to anyone. Thanks!
Old 03-26-2012, 21:01   #2
ParisArms

I will tell you now expect to wait the full 90 days plus a few days for the post man.
ParisArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:20   #3
ashecht

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisArms View Post
I will tell you now expect to wait the full 90 days plus a few days for the post man.
I woul expect to wait the full 90 days.
Ruger SR1911 Commander
Colt LE6920
ashecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:40   #4
NC Bullseye

There is no longer a 90 day time frame on issuing new concealed carry permits. December 2011 the laws changed to 45 days AFTER the sheriffs office recieved all of the information required to issue listed in GS_14-415.13.

Here is the new law with the time limits.
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedL...14-415.15.html

If your permit isn't back in 45 days ask the SO what documents they have not received or if all have been received, what was the date the last document necessary was received and add 45 days to that to see what date they must issue or deny by.
NC Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:59   #5
Silver_Bullet_00

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGlocker28 View Post
Hey All,

I applied for my conceal carry permit back in February and, if I'm counting the days up correctly, today was day 45 since I turned in my application and I have yet to receive my permit in the mail. I know that in the past the county had 90 days to issue the permit but I was thinking the comprehensive gun bill last legislative session changed this to 45 days. Hopefully its in the mail and will be here by the end of the week. I was just wondering if anyone else has had to wait the full 45 days (and beyond). I'm in Wake County btw if that matters to anyone. Thanks!
I waited a little less than 3 weeks. Depends on the Sheriff. It only takes 3 weeks in Columbus County, and they call you as soon as it is in to go pick it up. They issue it as soon as the criminal background checks, mental health check, and finger prints are all done. We are a rural gun friendly pro hunting county though. They use to have 90 days. I wasn't aware of a new 45 day law. I've heard of certain Sheriffs letting them sit on their desk the max amount of time. It really only takes about 2 weeks for them to get everything back they need.

Expect to wait the max, you live in a Blue Pro Obama Liberal county
2008 Voting
Carolina Glockers

Last edited by Silver_Bullet_00; 03-27-2012 at 12:00..
Silver_Bullet_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 13:08   #6
whitebread
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It is good to see the law was changed. In Wake they use to take the full 90 days before notifying you it was ready, even though the permit was signed and dated well before that.
whitebread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 22:09   #7
tim12232
Pistolero

Call them up!!! They have 45 days from the time you interview with them and turn in your information. Not 45 days from when they get everything!!! Call em up and give em hell!
I also had no need for NV, so I went with the 512. As far as the submersion, if I'm 10 feet under water and still holding onto my rifle, something has gone terribly awry and I don't think an extra 23 feet is going to matter to me. YMMV
G21 Club #858
tim12232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 22:20   #8
rilkil23

Did you get it, did you get it? Hope it shows up soon. Maybe you know where my new holster is? I'm getting frustrated and it's only been five days.
rilkil23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 00:15   #9
NC Bullseye

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim12232 View Post
Call them up!!! They have 45 days from the time you interview with them and turn in your information. Not 45 days from when they get everything!!! Call em up and give em hell!
Tim that is incorrect. They DO have 45 days AFTER they get the required paperwork from you AND the responses for the mental health records.

Quote:
14‑415.15. Issuance or denial of permit.

(a) Except as permitted under subsection (b) of this section, within 45 days after receipt of the items listed in G.S. 14‑415.13 from an applicant, and receipt of the required records concerning the mental health or capacity of the applicant, the sheriff shall either issue or deny the permit. The sheriff may conduct any investigation necessary to determine the qualification or competency of the person applying for the permit, including record checks.[
That is why I recommend that he make an appointment with the sheriff in person and find out the dates that the records were received by the sheriffs office. Then he will have a valid maximum due date.
NC Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote