SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:25   #1
fredw56

Hello from Long Island

Hello everybody!

I will be purchasing a Glock 19 Gen 2 from a friend of mine next week. This will be my first 9mm and, actually, my first Glock, so I'm pretty excited.

Just wanted to say hello and throw my hat in the ring! I'd be grateful for any advice with respect to ammo, holsters, etc.

Thanks!
fredw56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:26   #2
ithaca_deerslayer

Welcome, fellow NYS'r

Ammo? Depends on what works for you. Me, my wife, and my guns, like Gold Dot 124gr. We don't go +P, but many do. It is your choice. Me not using +P has more to do with keeping everying standardized in my household, knowing it works in all the guns, and the recoil isn't too bad for my wife; nothing wrong with having an extra 50fps though with +P. For target ammo, I like American Eagle 124gr. I really don't like buying different kinds of ammo once I find something that works well (functions, is accurate, and has good SD reviews). So I tend to buy stuff in large quantities when I find "my brand". A couple dollars here or there doesn't matter if it saves the aggrevation later of wondering if inaccuracy or functioning problems are due to you, your gun, or the ammo

As to holsters, depends on how you want to carry. I have a 17 and a 26. Carry the 26. I prefer kydex IWB. There are tons of brands to choose from. Important for me is that the barrel and trigger guard are completely covered, and that the gun fits perfectly and "snaps" into place. No retention straps, no levers to press for drawing. Typically, the "snap" sound is made because of the formed kydex (fancy plastic) holster fitting snugly around the trigger guard. If you want a couple suggestions, here they are:

For quick and cheap, with a plastic clip instead of a loop, try the Galco Triton. Note that some are concerned that a clip will come loose on a draw and you'll be pointing the whole holster. That's a valid concern. Practise will tell you if that is an issue or not with your own holster.
http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPT3.as...75&CatalogID=7

Or if you want a well designed high quality holster from a small shop try the Alabama Holster "offside" (I'd go with the straight drop on this particular holster for better balance).
http://www.alabamaholster.com/index.php?p=2_22

Another style that is popular is an IWB hybrid, that has the back made of leather, and the holster part itself as kydex, and the belt loops off to both sides (the Alabama example I linked to above has one belt loop, off to one side). Personally, I find that leather aborbs and retains sweat, stains your clothes, rusts your gun, and loosens/degrades over time. Just my odd opinion on that, because some others love leather holsters. These thoughts pertain to IWB (inside the waist band), which conceals better and is close to your skin. But if you go OWB (outside the waist band), then leather is ok and purty Again, just my 2 cents.

There are tons of holsters to choose from, and tons of opinions on them!

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 02-29-2012 at 10:33..
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:46   #3
ithaca_deerslayer

Oh, about that 19. Does it have the pre-ban high cap mags? If so, great.

You probably already know, but NYS only allows pre-ban mags, if holding over 10 rounds in the mag "high capacity". Have to be made before the magic date (Sept 1994, I think, but the specific date can be looked up). They can still be found in gun stores for things like Beretta 92 and Glock, but they cost a lot. You'll never legally get one for a recent gun, like a Springfield XDm. If they are post-ban, such as having "LEO only" written on them, or if post-ban even without anything telling you they are post-ban, they are a felony.

So, while the G19 has the better grip for shooting. The G26 is one of the most ideal handguns for NYS, because it is smaller for carry and is by standard design already maxed out at the 10 round capacity, which matches the 10 round mag limit. With the 19 or other such larger guns, you get empty space in the grip because of the mag ban. But them longer grips are easier to shoot. By the same logic, the single stack 1911's also make a lot of sense for NYS.

I'm not trying to say what is better, just wanted to mention some of the pluses and minuses, related to the NYS mag ban. Note that you can still have a round in the chamber, so it is really 10+1.

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 02-29-2012 at 10:48..
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:48   #4
bac1023

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 15:35   #5
windvale

As a former Long Islander (New Hyde Park) I say "hi". Left there back in '93 when I was 31 to live near Raleigh, NC. Love living in Raleigh, but miss the friendly people of Long Island...

I remember trying to get a carry permit back in 1989 and eventually giving up because the process was so setup to basically sicken me...which it did. Has it got any better ?
windvale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 20:19   #6
SSNimrod

Your just starting out, buy the cheapest ammo you can find at Walmart and save a couple of bucks. After 5k rounds you'll start getting an idea what you like/want/need
SSNimrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:09   #7
Mike 257

Hello from another former Long Islander (Shirley) . I left there in 2000 now live in Kansas City . Anyway Welcome to the Club !

Sub Club #1962
Mike 257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 22:00   #8
kj4963

Welcome!
G21 Club # 4963. .357 Sig club #4963
NRA & GSSF member. :therapy:
kj4963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:50   #9
oily_oink
###########

From Michigan!