Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-09-2012, 18:36   #1
themighty9mm

A this or that thread, and more Q's

I know it has been asked before, loked but after several pages going back diddnt find what I was looking for or missed something.
I'm looking at getting a optic here in a couple weeks. It will be either aimoint or eotech. Dont need, nor do I want magnifacation at this time.
On one hand I like the reticle of the eotech. I played with one at a gun shop for bit. On the other hand I love the battery life of aimpoint. This will be for a HD gun so one less thing to muck with would be nice. So what did you guys who own one or the other or both go with and most importantly why?

Also I am in need of a light and mount. I want to be able to mout the light slightly forward of the rail while still being on the rail. I dont like the small rail peices that mount to the front sight post. So what light and mount do you suggest I look into?
themighty9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 18:50   #2
WoodenPlank
Who?

I owned an EO Tech as my first AR optic, mainly because I got an employee discount at the time. I pulled the EO Tech off one day to try a different optic, then remounted the EO Tech when I was done. In the process of reinstalling it, the cross-bolt of the integrated mount sheared through, rendering the sight useless. I found someone that wanted the broke EO Tech (they exchanged it under warranty or something), and happily switched to an Aimpoint M2, and have not looked back. Mine lives in a LaRue LT-129 cantilever mount. Battery life on the Aimpoint smokes the EO Tech, and it's MUCH more durable.

Do you already have a rail system installed, or would you have to add that, as well? Assuming you already have a rail system, look at the VTAC L4 combo. $195 including a VTAC mount gets you the same brightness of a Surefire 600 Scout light at half the price, just lacking pressure pad and a different mounting method. The body of the light should be just long enough to reach from a railed handguard and put the lens of the light in front of an A-frame.

If you don't have a rail system, IWC offers some mounting solutions that can help push your light in front of the A-frame, without mounting to the gas block.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 18:57   #3
themighty9mm

No, should have the kac at my door in a week or 2ish. Its ordered now just waiting for funds to clear.
Old 03-09-2012, 19:04   #4
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by themighty9mm View Post
No, should have the kac at my door in a week or 2ish. Its ordered now just waiting for funds to clear.
Carbine railed handguards?
Old 03-09-2012, 19:24   #5
themighty9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Carbine railed handguards?
Yes found a kac m4 ras with all the panels and forward grip that I wont use for an ok price. Thats why I was wanting to find a mount that will bring the light at about front sight post placement, without mounting a rail on the front sight post. I remember seeing something like what I wanted but cant think of what it was called. The mount did not mount on the 1913 rails but in the slots/holes between them. I'd like to find similar but one that uses the rails

Last edited by themighty9mm; 03-09-2012 at 19:26..
Old 03-09-2012, 19:52   #6
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Yes found a kac m4 ras with all the panels and forward grip that I wont use for an ok price. Thats why I was wanting to find a mount that will bring the light at about front sight post placement, without mounting a rail on the front sight post. I remember seeing something like what I wanted but cant think of what it was called. The mount did not mount on the 1913 rails but in the slots/holes between them. I'd like to find similar but one that uses the rails
Sounds like a cantilever mount from IWC. Using the longer body L4 from VTAC should give you enough forward position to clear the A-Frame. I believe the 6P sized lights will do the same if you want something a little less expensive.
Old 03-09-2012, 20:13   #7
themighty9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Sounds like a cantilever mount from IWC. Using the longer body L4 from VTAC should give you enough forward position to clear the A-Frame. I believe the 6P sized lights will do the same if you want something a little less expensive.
Yes thats the one. So what makes a good light mount? What should I be looking for, and what to avoid? Is the IWC any good? Will it work with the ras?
Old 03-09-2012, 20:21   #8
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Yes thats the one. So what makes a good light mount? What should I be looking for, and what to avoid? Is the IWC any good? Will it work with the ras?
Anything IWC makes that will fit to a picatinny rail should be good to go, same goes for the VTAC mount.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:49   #9
K. Foster

If I were buying an EOTech today, I would definitely get one of the newer XPS models with the sideways battery. I have an EOTech 512 and an Aimpoint ML2. I wouldn’t be afraid to use either one for HD but if I had to pick one it would be the Aimpoint for durability and battery life.
The VTAC light mount is light weight and surprisingly durable. I use one with a G2 LED and am very pleased with it. This combo is offered by VTAC as well.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:33   #10
Teecher45

Go to LaRue Tactical and look at their Aimpoint micro combo's. They also have the 2 moa available now. They also have mounts available for lights. One stop shopping, and really good stuff.
The IWC is good stuff too.