Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:23   #1
Skycop1

Sovereign Citizen Help

I have been tasked with putting together a basic briefing for my department regarding how to respond when interacting with a sovereign citizen. I am starting this from scratch. If anyone has any briefings, powerpoints or templates for such it would be very helpful.

Thanks.
Skycop1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:29   #2
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
On the street you definitely need to handle with care. There are those who have no compunction concerning the killing of local LEO. If I initiate a stop on the place I work, (one of our rolling armed posts for example), and could tell by fake plates, then the person would immediately be detained, handed over to local LE for processing. I would keep my weapon drawn and ready, and wait for back up, if that is afforded.

Definitely handle with care, and look for the bulletins that come across about any in your area.
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:40   #3
OXCOPS

They can be tasered just like anyone else. Just tossing that out there. Maybe put that in the appendix.
OXCOPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:49   #4
OXCOPS

http://definitions.uslegal.com/s/sovereign-citizen/

http://www.adl.org/learn/ext_us/scm.asp?xpicked=4

http://www.sovereign-citizenship.net/home.html This is one of their sites and offers a glimpse into their approach to LE contacts. They also claim that their book will teach you how to "make money off the cops" by eluding to lawsuits for violating their rights. I would seek the advice of counsel and add some "do's and don'ts" to your brief. While they claim you can't do something, you may very well be able to. It would help to know where the lines are.

Last edited by OXCOPS; 03-08-2012 at 11:54..
Old 03-08-2012, 11:56   #5
OXCOPS

Also, if you can stomach the DOJ, here is the FBI's take on them.

http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/pu...reign-citizens
Old 03-08-2012, 12:06   #6
DoogieHowser
Eh

I'll try and remember to scan a printout we have around here somewhere.

"Includes special chapter on "having ninja babies" and how to protect your family from predatory public pirates with the legal self-defense art of "judicial jiu-jitsu." WTF? Ninja Babies?

Last edited by DoogieHowser; 03-08-2012 at 12:07..
DoogieHowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:09   #7
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

Maybe come up with a better buzz word to more helpfully generalize the population so that you can include everyone that is pro-gun, believes in civil liberties, and the Constitution.

Disclaimer: This writer is not a lawyer. This product is meant for entertainment and fan or political fiction purposes only and writer accepts no liability. All material should be considered as infotainment only. Writer does not own any characters, topics or subject matter in this story. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is for entertainment only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading immediately and consult your physician.
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:11   #8
lpo
what?!?!?!?!?

Send a message via Yahoo to lpo
I think I heard on the news they have been put on the "extremest" list. Check on the homeland security website or rescources your department may have from them.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 03-08-2012, 13:02   #9
lndshark

I'm attending training in mid-April that's hosted by the Bureau of Justice SLATT (state and local anti-terrorism training) program.

Go to SLATT.org for training info and to find out when seminars are being held in your area.

If I'm provided with any information I'll be happy to pass it along to you...

Old 03-08-2012, 14:04   #10
ray9898

Extreme caution. If you are alerted by the fake plates then I would wait for backup even before the initial approach.
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 14:04   #11
ray9898

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
Maybe come up with a better buzz word to more helpfully generalize the population so that you can include everyone that is pro-gun, believes in civil liberties, and the Constitution.

While everything you just said describes me perfectly, none of that has anything to do with these folks.
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 15:08   #12
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post

Let me guess: you don't understand what all the fuss is about "bath salts" and "spice" either.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 16:28   #13
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
On the street you definitely need to handle with care. There are those who have no compunction concerning the killing of local LEO. If I initiate a stop on the place I work, (one of our rolling armed posts for example), and could tell by fake plates, then the person would immediately be detained, handed over to local LE for processing. I would keep my weapon drawn and ready, and wait for back up, if that is afforded.

Definitely handle with care, and look for the bulletins that come across about any in your area.

Agreed we have several of them in our joint. Our SIS office has a good briefing we just got in our annual training on them and what they are all about.
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 17:21   #14
lndshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray9898 View Post
Extreme caution. If you are alerted by the fake plates then I would wait for backup even before the initial approach.
Yeah. Think "Hutaree."
Old 03-08-2012, 17:24   #15
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
Let me guess: you don't understand what all the fuss is about "bath salts" and "spice" either.
I'm not a cop. Though I played one in Iraq and took down lots of HVT's... I have no clue what you do in the privacy of your bathroom Sam.

As far as I am concerned these criteria that the FBI & DOJ are using seem to be aimed very loosely at anyone that is patriotic. By the very definition of 2008 HS report Napolitano declares even us Iraq vets as potential terror suspects.

So you guys have fun with your little Ranger games.

Disclaimer: This writer is not a lawyer. This product is meant for entertainment and fan or political fiction purposes only and writer accepts no liability. All material should be considered as infotainment only. Writer does not own any characters, topics or subject matter in this story. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is for entertainment only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading immediately and consult your physician.
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 18:01   #16
EMTCOP

You need to get with Bob Paudert. His son and nephew were shot and killed in the line of duty in West Memphis, Arkansas, by two sovereign citizens. Bob was the Chief of Police in West Memphis when this occurred. He now travels around the country teaching law enforcement about the dangers of sovereign citizens.

You can probably get some information on how to get in touch with him from the West Memphis, Arkansas, Police Department at (870) 732-7555.
EMTCOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 18:17   #17
glockurai

Going after HVTs has nothing to do with what is being discussed. Different circumstances and very different ROE. And yes I've been there.

Old 03-08-2012, 18:23   #18
Chad Rogers

This doesn't directly answer the question, but here's a pretty good, free, 45 page report on the American Patriot Movement.

http://www.cjesconsultants.com/asset...aster-Copy.pdf

I'm not sure what the server capability is if multiple people try to download it at the same time.

Last edited by Chad Rogers; 03-08-2012 at 18:25..
Chad Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 18:31   #19
Cav

Sovereign citizens are a little nutty, but you can not clump them all in the same boat.

Most are about as sick of Govrernment games as anyone else, and try to go by the laws and powers that our founding fathers saw. Are some a real threat, yes. Is everyone one of them a threat to police, no. A lot has to do with how you deal with them. Some are just there to play games like any other thug without a job and who thinks they know the system.

IMHO treat them as a threat when you deal with them, but use verbal skills to get what you want. Dont let them push your buttons. They should recognize set law enforcement (Sheriff/Deputies).

I feel that our current Government is over stepping its bounds in many areas and are making more people anti-government. Our courts, legal system, governments, laws, law enforcement all bump heads, and some people are fed up with it.

I would treat them like any other person you dont know. I would not try and treat them like a common thug or idiot.

If you deal with a sovereign citizen, call for another unit and record all that happens. Be the better person and keep them in check. Some are nuts and some have a point, just our current system does not work how they want it to.
Old 03-08-2012, 18:35   #20
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Whoops, wrong thread.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.

Last edited by CJStudent; 03-08-2012 at 18:35..
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote