Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-07-2012, 19:59   #41
Eyescream
hates you

One best makes use of the linear progression described in the book by maintaining a caloric surfeit over what their normal maintenance needs would be. It's a possibility that you'll lose definition during this process because of the two sentences before this. Some go overboard, and stay way over what they need, and they end up getting a little chubby (they also, generally, end up with the biggest numbers at the end of the progression, but that's neither here nor there).

Anyway, the other side of this is that, generally speaking, it's far easier to cut down when one's significantly increased their muscle mass and has therefore a higher metabolism.

So you got that goin' for you.
Old 03-07-2012, 23:38   #42
nathanours
Texan

Ya, I am unsure if my body structure can support huge numbers though. One thing that concerns me is that my wrists are pretty small.

Also, I am through about 75% of the gallon today alone, but I can't drink another drop tonight.

Here is a pic of what I look like now. As you can see, I am insanely skinny, much too much so...

Strength & Conditioning

Black Rifle Club #1989
nathanours is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 23:46   #43
nathanours
Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Manelishi View Post
6 packs are highly over-rated unless it's a rreeaallyy good stout, porter, or ale.
I prefer oatmeal stouts, and IPAs. Most between is kind of boring. My favorite are double IPAs. Big fan of Double Jack and Myrcenary.

Black Rifle Club #1989
Old 03-08-2012, 00:19   #44
Eyescream
hates you

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanours View Post
Ya, I am unsure if my body structure can support huge numbers though. One thing that concerns me is that my wrists are pretty small.

Also, I am through about 75% of the gallon today alone, but I can't drink another drop tonight.

Here is a pic of what I look like now. As you can see, I am insanely skinny, much too much so...

Strength & Conditioning
I think you'd be surprised at what you can handle. There are women weighing what you do that are pulling in the 400s, for example.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:48   #45
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

Quote:
I beg to differ. You are not "insanely" skinny; you are not heavily muscled, or carrying excess weight. Eat enough, lift hard, get enough rest and you look like you'll do well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Green_Manelishi; 03-08-2012 at 12:49..
Green_Manelishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 20:18   #46
Comedian

I was using creatine without many side effects for 8 yrs. More recently i had to stop, since i was getting bad insomnia and some tension from it. Don't take more than 1 teaspoon a day of creatine. Also don't stay on creatine for more than 2 months at a time and make sure you cycle off for at least a month at a time.

You also might experience some feelings of shortness of breath. That was a side effect that i always had to deal with, on the creatine.

Last edited by Comedian; 03-08-2012 at 20:22..
Comedian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 20:45   #47
S.O.Interceptor
Khem-Adam

Quote:
This is going to be my new routine, with a few other things like maybe crunches thrown in once a week.

Monday - Workout A
Back Squat 3x5 (low bar's better for posterior chain recruitment)
Bench Press3x5
Deadlift 1x5

Wednesday – Workout B
Back Squat 3x5
Overhead Press 3x5
Power Clean 3x5

Friday – Workout A
Back Squat 3x5
Bench Press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

I'll do like you guys said and alternate doing some of the workouts on wednesdays and then on mondays and fridays.
I also just picked up a gallon of whole milk I'm gonna try to see if I can finish in 2 days before I build up to one. I'm planning on mixing in a scoop of my muscle milk protein powder with it as well.

I'd also really like to thank Eyescream for cluing me in to this subforum. I had no idea it existed.

What other workouts could I incorporate on the days I lift to possibly work on abbs (specifically lower, it is the only area where I don't have good definition) and maybe calves?

ETA: I've forced myself to lift for a month or so a couple times in the past, but never really took the time to learn what I was doing. It was always a pain to do, and for some reason I hated it, but forced myself to do it for a while. Interestingly enough this time, I have really enjoyed it. I find it very relaxing and stress relieving after a long day of coursework, and we've got a nice sauna to sit in afterwords. This is what makes me think I'm definitely in for the long haul this time, and am glad I found this resource.
Actually, you'll only want to deadlift once a week. Heavy deadlifts can be hard to recover from. I recommend on Monday doing squats, bench/press, then power cleans. On Wednesday just do squats and bench/press to take it a little easy, because Friday is squat, bench/press and deadlift day.
And if you have to go H-2-H, unload your holster gun first and rely on your concealed BUG, so that if the nut-job gets your holster gun it will be empty.
S.O.Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 21:25   #48
Eyescream
hates you

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.O.Interceptor View Post
Actually, you'll only want to deadlift once a week. Heavy deadlifts can be hard to recover from. I recommend on Monday doing squats, bench/press, then power cleans. On Wednesday just do squats and bench/press to take it a little easy, because Friday is squat, bench/press and deadlift day.
I gave him the beginner program from SS:BBT. Novices can do that, but you still don't do but one workset for the reasons you outlined.

Wendler posted a beginner version of 5/3/1 on his site, though I'm not sure how one computes that since it relies on an honest assessment of one's 1RM…which would be difficult for a novice to come up with.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:17   #49
nathanours
Texan

Thought I'd give you guys an update. I finished the whole gallon in 2 days! It made me pee a lot more but that was about the only side effect. I also tried to eat normally in addition to the milk.

I'm gonna try to get to the gym later this afternoon, but sadly I may only be able to go once or twice this next upcoming week because it is my spring break and I'll be away from the college gym. I've got a dip and pullup bar thing in my garage at home and all my boxing stuff, so I'll be able to do some light workouts with that though.

Should I keep doing the milk thing over this next spring break week if I may not be able to lift the full 3 times a week?

Also, I have been doing dips, pull ups, and inverted rows in addition the the workout routine given above. Should I stagger all these things as well?

Black Rifle Club #1989

Last edited by nathanours; 03-09-2012 at 09:26..
Old 03-09-2012, 10:34   #50
dotsun
conf t

Personally if I were taking a week off from heavy lifting I'd lay off the milk. But I'm much older and somewhat fatter than you so YMMV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
dotsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:03   #51
Cincy2

Nathan

This advice is based on my 45+ years of training with weights.

If you train hard and regularly for that many years your joints are going to be toast. The human body was not meant to endure that type of activity. Is it worth it. Yes. Many of my peers who never saw the inside of a weight room have bad joints and look like a train wreck. At least I weigh what I did in high school and am fit at age 60.

You will spend your first 10 - 15 years of lifting trying to gain weight and the rest of your life trying to lose it. Train progressively, eat clean and in moderation and let your bodyweight do what it wants to. As I grew older and couldn't / didn't want to train heavy I learned the secret that 5 lbs of well defined muscle looks a whole let better than 10 lbs of muscle covered in fat. A lean, strong (for your weight) body would be my goal if I was in my teens starting over today.

Train like you are going to keep it up for 65 years. You should! Most of the feebleness of old age is directly related to lack of muscular strength and flexibility. No 7 day a week programs that are going to burn you out in a few years. Three times a week with a few cardio workouts will make and keep you fit.

Speaking of flexibility, stretch AFTER every workout. Warm up BEFORE a workout with body weight dynamic movements, not stretching.

Here's one fact no one likes to hear. While you will always be able to improve your health, fitness, strength and muscularity, you will probably never look like the guys in the magazines. They have genetic gifts. I've known dudes who never went in a weight room who had better physiques than I ever dreamed of. Sad but true. Find your special talent and develop it. Don't lament the fact that you may have lost the chromosome lottery. Don't think that steroids will make up for your genes. I trained with a guy in the 70's who used them. He certainly got bigger and stronger. Lost touch with him then heard several years later he died of breast cancer. BREAST CANCER???!! Don't screw around with your hormones.

Don't substitute training for having a life. I will never forget meeting a power lifter I idolized from the magazines. He held several power lifting world records. I met him at a gym in California back in the 80's. He was living in the gym parking lot in a VW van. He was 30 years old. Another Olympic lifter who was on the team as a heavyweight in 1968. Lived with his mother until he died at age 46, Height 5'4", weight 375lbs. Strive for balance in all you do.

I sound like my father. I've come full circle.

Cincy
Cincy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 15:33   #52
nathanours
Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy2 View Post
Nathan

This advice is based on my 45+ years of training with weights.

If you train hard and regularly for that many years your joints are going to be toast. The human body was not meant to endure that type of activity. Is it worth it. Yes. Many of my peers who never saw the inside of a weight room have bad joints and look like a train wreck. At least I weigh what I did in high school and am fit at age 60.

You will spend your first 10 - 15 years of lifting trying to gain weight and the rest of your life trying to lose it. Train progressively, eat clean and in moderation and let your bodyweight do what it wants to. As I grew older and couldn't / didn't want to train heavy I learned the secret that 5 lbs of well defined muscle looks a whole let better than 10 lbs of muscle covered in fat. A lean, strong (for your weight) body would be my goal if I was in my teens starting over today.

Train like you are going to keep it up for 65 years. You should! Most of the feebleness of old age is directly related to lack of muscular strength and flexibility. No 7 day a week programs that are going to burn you out in a few years. Three times a week with a few cardio workouts will make and keep you fit.

Speaking of flexibility, stretch AFTER every workout. Warm up BEFORE a workout with body weight dynamic movements, not stretching.

Here's one fact no one likes to hear. While you will always be able to improve your health, fitness, strength and muscularity, you will probably never look like the guys in the magazines. They have genetic gifts. I've known dudes who never went in a weight room who had better physiques than I ever dreamed of. Sad but true. Find your special talent and develop it. Don't lament the fact that you may have lost the chromosome lottery. Don't think that steroids will make up for your genes. I trained with a guy in the 70's who used them. He certainly got bigger and stronger. Lost touch with him then heard several years later he died of breast cancer. BREAST CANCER???!! Don't screw around with your hormones.

Don't substitute training for having a life. I will never forget meeting a power lifter I idolized from the magazines. He held several power lifting world records. I met him at a gym in California back in the 80's. He was living in the gym parking lot in a VW van. He was 30 years old. Another Olympic lifter who was on the team as a heavyweight in 1968. Lived with his mother until he died at age 46, Height 5'4", weight 375lbs. Strive for balance in all you do.

I sound like my father. I've come full circle.

Cincy
Thanks, I really appreciate your advice. You mention certain people winning the gene lottery, and I am lucky in this aspect with regard to my metabolism. I am currently lifting 3 times a week, and playing racquetball twice a week along with walking 4 miles a day (5 times a week) to classes. I try to eat healthy as well. I like the point you make clear about training like you plan on doing it for the next 40 or however many years. It does put things in perspective, and I'll definitely take it into consideration.

Black Rifle Club #1989

Last edited by nathanours; 03-09-2012 at 15:34..
Old 03-09-2012, 17:32   #53
Eyescream
hates you

Another point: It's a marathon, not a sprint. If you'd rather go ride a bike or something instead of lifting one day…who cares? It's not like you're going to lose a sponsorship or anything.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:11   #54
nathanours
Texan

Thought I'd give you guys an update. Last week being spring break, I was only able to go to the gym once. I got in a good workout though, and went through 2 gallons of whole milk over the break. Hiking a lot dropped my weight down to 148 at the lowest point, but after lifting hard yesterday It's back up to around 151.

I'm back on the MWF plan and drank half a gallon of whole milk yesterday. It feels great to be back into the routine again. This is my overhead press M and F and bench W week.

Take care everyone.

Black Rifle Club #1989
Old 03-20-2012, 11:28   #55
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

Quote:
Hiking a lot dropped my weight down to 148 at the lowest point, but after lifting hard yesterday It's back up to around 151.
Keep in mind your weight will fluctuate from day to day. You are looking for steady loss, or gain, over a period of weeks not "oh I lost a pound yesterday but damn I gained two today."

Green_Manelishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:18   #56
ateamer
NRA4EVR

Don't bother weighing yourself every day, or even every week. As a matter of fact, if you aren't competing in some sport that has weight classes, ditch the scale completely. Measure progress with how you are performing, how you feel and how you look - in that order.
Know-it-all
ateamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 19:38   #57
sappy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamer View Post
Don't bother weighing yourself every day, or even every week. As a matter of fact, if you aren't competing in some sport that has weight classes, ditch the scale completely. Measure progress with how you are performing, how you feel and how you look - in that order.
Great advice. The scale should only be looked at occasionally. Maybe once a month at most. If your trying to loose weight u will prolly be disappointed when u think of how hard u have been working. When in reality u have probably lost fat and gained muscle, and in turn can probably where clothes u never thought u could fit. Then if your trying to gain just look at your increase in lifts And the actual muscle size. Iv.barely gained anything in my goal to hit 200, maybe a pound or two at most in 3 or so months, but my muscles have exploded. Lifts too. Just use your monthly scale to help u with calorie intake needs and macros

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk
sappy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 20:19   #58
California Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy2 View Post
Nathan

Another Olympic lifter who was on the team as a heavyweight in 1968. Lived with his mother until he died at age 46, Height 5'4", weight 375lbs. Strive for balance in all

Cincy
American weightlifter? Joe Dube did not die at age 46. I'm pretty sure he is still alive.
Old 03-20-2012, 20:32   #59
Eyescream
hates you

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Jack View Post
American weightlifter? Joe Dube did not die at age 46. I'm pretty sure he is still alive.
He's still active in the sport, too; training kids and stuff.
Old 03-20-2012, 20:47   #60
California Jack

cool, wish he would train my son. Glad to hear I was correct about him still being alive. Hopefully Cincy will come back and clarify.