GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 16:30   #26
Eyescream
hates you
 
Eyescream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 38,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Jack View Post
Personally, as a beginner I had success benching three times weekly using a heavy, light, medium approach.
That's pretty reminiscent of the Texas Method or some of the Westside programs. Ain't nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Jack View Post
But then again, beginners can be successful with just about any program.
No gains like novice gains. lol
__________________
someone has to go around behind you undoing all the evil you do. it balances the world out - Trout
Eyescream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 17:08   #27
dotsun
conf t
 
dotsun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 1,153
Good advice you've been given. If I read your post correctly your body weight is currently 150lbs so I would only add to start GOMAD tomorrow.
__________________
www.ironjeep.com
dotsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 18:12   #28
nathanours
Texan
 
nathanours's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Born in Texas, now in Colorado
Posts: 2,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotsun View Post
Good advice you've been given. If I read your post correctly your body weight is currently 150lbs so I would only add to start GOMAD tomorrow.
This has got to be one of the weirdest things I've heard. I'm not sure I could drink a gallon of milk a day...
__________________
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud


Black Rifle Club #1989
nathanours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 18:17   #29
Eyescream
hates you
 
Eyescream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 38,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanours View Post
This has got to be one of the weirdest things I've heard. I'm not sure I could drink a gallon of milk a day...
You'd be surprised. From the book:

Quote:
Eating correctly may mean 6000 calories/day, including a gallon of whole milk, or it may mean 3500 calories/day on a Paleo-type, lower-carb, no-dairy diet, depending on your initial body composition.

Rippetoe, Mark (2012-01-13). Starting Strength (Kindle Locations 7753-7755). The Aasgaard Company. Kindle Edition.
GOMAD is a useful dietary edition in the short term for hard gainers and small dudes that want to get big and strong.
__________________
someone has to go around behind you undoing all the evil you do. it balances the world out - Trout

Last edited by Eyescream; 03-06-2012 at 18:18..
Eyescream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 18:26   #30
RedNine
AutomatedSystem
 
RedNine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 222
I lift 4 days a week. 2 days of upper body circuit and 2 days of lower body circuit. I do cardio every day.
RedNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 18:55   #31
S.O.Interceptor
Khem-Adam
 
S.O.Interceptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: The Rock of Eternity
Posts: 3,814
5'11 , 150lbs !?!?!?!?!? Mother...... of..... god!!!!

This is an easy fix. 12 cheeseburgers a day and Mark Rippetoes' Starting Strength will have you to man size in a couple of months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanours View Post
I had a thread in the Lounge and was given advice to check out this forum. I didn't know it even existed.

Here's a link to the original thread:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1406386

How many times a week do you guys recommend working out? I'm at between 2 and 3 right now. Just was able to do 170 on bench today, but would really like to get it up to at least 200. I heard someone say that being able to bench your weight is good, so right now I'm currently benching 20lbs over my weight.

Also, I'm gonna try to pick up that Starting Strength book you guys were recommending.

Should I be looking at a different routine since I am skinnier though? I'm in good shape cardio wise, my resting heart rate is around 50 ish.

Also, should I be on creatine?

Thanks,

nathan
Eyescream should know better than to post a direct link in GNG. He gets a virtual pimp-slap for that. It's only a matter of time before we're invaded. Most people don't know this sub-forum exist, and we like it that way. If you're wondering why, just read any strength thread in GNG. Advice ranges from "all you need is 1 kettlebell" coming from very weak people, to "don't exercise, you'll live longer, coming from admittedly obese people who "just have a glandular problem", to "check out bodybuilding . com , it's all you need".

Feel free to follow my log in here to get an idea of how often/heavy I lift. However, I am training for powerlifting at this time, so you may not want to copy me.

Creatine can be a big help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahrah12 View Post
not to poopoo the comments that you will get here but also check out bodybuilding.com
Damn, I was too late. I have failed.

Not to knock you, but bb.com is a nightmare, especially for a true novice who can't differentiate between the complete garbage and the useful info. It's has the bro-iest bro-science slinging bros, a bro has ever seen, bro.


Quote:
I'm very active (I walk about 4 miles a day to classes and play racquetball for 3.5 hours twice a week) and according to a free demonstration I participated in, I have roughly 4% body fat.
Just to warn you, your lifting is going to suffer with this much conditioning. One of my heroes, Jim Wendler likes to say "you can't serve 2 masters, or at least not for long".

Starting Strength is great, if you can dedicate the time, calories, and intensity to big lifting 3 days a week. If not, you'll stall out fast!

I am currently doing Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 and love it. It's more flexible to conditioning and an unsure random lifting schedule. But no lifting program is going to respond to a lot of conditioning. Read some of Jim's articles on Elitefts.com , T-Nation.com, and jimwendler.com where he discusses how to program conditioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanours View Post
Thanks, I've been looking over them as well.

Do you guys think I may be overworking by benching 3 time a week? That is what I seem to be seeing.
I haven't seen anyone mention benching 3 times/week. Mayve you mistook "press" or "pressing" for the bench press, when it is in fact the overhead press?

My personal opinion, I don't think benching 3 times/week is a good idea, unless you're a bench-only competitive lifter. I truly think the overhead press is a superior lift in almost all regards. I do both overhead and bench because they make each other stronger and because I want to compete in powerlifting, which contests the bench. SS:BBT recommends switching the bench and the press every other workout. 5/3/1 had a lot of different mixes.
__________________
Rest In Peace Dad! I love you!!!!
Rest In Peace Mom! I love you!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTPD View Post
And if you have to go H-2-H, unload your holster gun first and rely on your concealed BUG, so that if the nut-job gets your holster gun it will be empty.
S.O.Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 18:58   #32
S.O.Interceptor
Khem-Adam
 
S.O.Interceptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: The Rock of Eternity
Posts: 3,814
Here:

http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/forum.php

http://www.t-nation.com/

And here on the homepage there is a great article on conditioning and doing the 5/3/1 full body split and how to mix them:

http://www.jimwendler.com/
__________________
Rest In Peace Dad! I love you!!!!
Rest In Peace Mom! I love you!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTPD View Post
And if you have to go H-2-H, unload your holster gun first and rely on your concealed BUG, so that if the nut-job gets your holster gun it will be empty.
S.O.Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 19:06   #33
Eyescream
hates you
 
Eyescream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 38,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.O.Interceptor View Post
Eyescream should know better than to post a direct link in GNG. He gets a virtual pimp-slap for that. It's only a matter of time before we're invaded. Most people don't know this sub-forum exist, and we like it that way. If you're wondering why, just read any strength thread in GNG. Advice ranges from "all you need is 1 kettlebell" coming from very weak people, to "don't exercise, you'll live longer, coming from admittedly obese people who "just have a glandular problem", to "check out bodybuilding . com , it's all you need".
I deserved that.

__________________
someone has to go around behind you undoing all the evil you do. it balances the world out - Trout
Eyescream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 22:41   #34
nathanours
Texan
 
nathanours's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Born in Texas, now in Colorado
Posts: 2,769
I'll definitely check out those other articles. I have the time to work out 3 times a week, and have been for the last month or so.

This is going to be my new routine, with a few other things like maybe crunches thrown in once a week.

Monday - Workout A
Back Squat 3x5 (low bar's better for posterior chain recruitment)
Bench Press3x5
Deadlift 1x5

Wednesday – Workout B
Back Squat 3x5
Overhead Press 3x5
Power Clean 3x5

Friday – Workout A
Back Squat 3x5
Bench Press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

I'll do like you guys said and alternate doing some of the workouts on wednesdays and then on mondays and fridays.
I also just picked up a gallon of whole milk I'm gonna try to see if I can finish in 2 days before I build up to one. I'm planning on mixing in a scoop of my muscle milk protein powder with it as well.

I'd also really like to thank Eyescream for cluing me in to this subforum. I had no idea it existed.

What other workouts could I incorporate on the days I lift to possibly work on abbs (specifically lower, it is the only area where I don't have good definition) and maybe calves?

ETA: I've forced myself to lift for a month or so a couple times in the past, but never really took the time to learn what I was doing. It was always a pain to do, and for some reason I hated it, but forced myself to do it for a while. Interestingly enough this time, I have really enjoyed it. I find it very relaxing and stress relieving after a long day of coursework, and we've got a nice sauna to sit in afterwords. This is what makes me think I'm definitely in for the long haul this time, and am glad I found this resource.
__________________
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud


Black Rifle Club #1989

Last edited by nathanours; 03-06-2012 at 22:44..
nathanours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:17   #35
BCR
BIGASS!!!!
 
BCR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanours View Post
This has got to be one of the weirdest things I've heard. I'm not sure I could drink a gallon of milk a day...
You can try 1/2 GOMAD as a start. Thats what I did in the past.

With your frame you need to eat tons of food. Stay away from junk like sweets, but pound down everything else.

I was 5'11" and 140 when I got out of the Marines. Now I'm between 180-190 and 10-12% bodyfat.

Food makes you grow. Rest lets you recover. And lifting stimulates. Do a lot of each.
__________________
Without progression, I am nothing.

PAIN IS MY BEST FRIEND.
BCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:20   #36
nathanours
Texan
 
nathanours's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Born in Texas, now in Colorado
Posts: 2,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCR View Post
You can try 1/2 GOMAD as a start. Thats what I did in the past.

With your frame you need to eat tons of food. Stay away from junk like sweets, but pound down everything else.

I was 5'11" and 140 when I got out of the Marines. Now I'm between 180-190 and 10-12% bodyfat.

Food makes you grow. Rest lets you recover. And lifting stimulates. Do a lot of each.
Makes sense. I'm at 1/3 of a gallon of whole milk so far today. Used it in cereal at breakfast, drank a glass of orange juice and of coffe also. Had another glass of milk, and now on my 3rd one while eating a turkey sandwich for lunch. Are you guys sure this isn't gonna make me fat?

I'm going to get to the gym later tonight after my Finance midterm, and I'm gonna use the schedule eyescream posted above.

Here's a pic just for you guys:

Strength & Conditioning
__________________
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud


Black Rifle Club #1989
nathanours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 13:01   #37
Eyescream
hates you
 
Eyescream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 38,326
I'm so proud I could bust.
__________________
someone has to go around behind you undoing all the evil you do. it balances the world out - Trout
Eyescream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 15:39   #38
dotsun
conf t
 
dotsun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 1,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanours View Post
Are you guys sure this isn't gonna make me fat?
We made no such claim. It will help you get bigger and stronger, though.
__________________
www.ironjeep.com
dotsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 17:25   #39
nathanours
Texan
 
nathanours's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Born in Texas, now in Colorado
Posts: 2,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotsun View Post
We made no such claim. It will help you get bigger and stronger, though.
Uh oh... I like having definition...
__________________
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud


Black Rifle Club #1989
nathanours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 18:47   #40
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter
 
Green_Manelishi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: On the edge but not quite over ...
Posts: 6,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanours View Post
Uh oh... I like having definition...
6 packs are highly over-rated unless it's a rreeaallyy good stout, porter, or ale.
Green_Manelishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 18:59   #41
Eyescream
hates you
 
Eyescream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 38,326
One best makes use of the linear progression described in the book by maintaining a caloric surfeit over what their normal maintenance needs would be. It's a possibility that you'll lose definition during this process because of the two sentences before this. Some go overboard, and stay way over what they need, and they end up getting a little chubby (they also, generally, end up with the biggest numbers at the end of the progression, but that's neither here nor there).

Anyway, the other side of this is that, generally speaking, it's far easier to cut down when one's significantly increased their muscle mass and has therefore a higher metabolism.

So you got that goin' for you.
__________________
someone has to go around behind you undoing all the evil you do. it balances the world out - Trout
Eyescream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 22:38   #42
nathanours
Texan
 
nathanours's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Born in Texas, now in Colorado
Posts: 2,769
Ya, I am unsure if my body structure can support huge numbers though. One thing that concerns me is that my wrists are pretty small.

Also, I am through about 75% of the gallon today alone, but I can't drink another drop tonight.

Here is a pic of what I look like now. As you can see, I am insanely skinny, much too much so...

Strength & Conditioning
__________________
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud


Black Rifle Club #1989
nathanours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 22:46   #43
nathanours
Texan
 
nathanours's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Born in Texas, now in Colorado
Posts: 2,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Manelishi View Post
6 packs are highly over-rated unless it's a rreeaallyy good stout, porter, or ale.
I prefer oatmeal stouts, and IPAs. Most between is kind of boring. My favorite are double IPAs. Big fan of Double Jack and Myrcenary.
__________________
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud


Black Rifle Club #1989
nathanours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 23:19   #44
Eyescream
hates you
 
Eyescream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 38,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanours View Post
Ya, I am unsure if my body structure can support huge numbers though. One thing that concerns me is that my wrists are pretty small.

Also, I am through about 75% of the gallon today alone, but I can't drink another drop tonight.

Here is a pic of what I look like now. As you can see, I am insanely skinny, much too much so...

Strength & Conditioning
I think you'd be surprised at what you can handle. There are women weighing what you do that are pulling in the 400s, for example.
__________________
someone has to go around behind you undoing all the evil you do. it balances the world out - Trout
Eyescream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:48   #45
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter
 
Green_Manelishi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: On the edge but not quite over ...
Posts: 6,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanours View Post
Here is a pic of what I look like now. As you can see, I am insanely skinny, much too much so...
I beg to differ. You are not "insanely" skinny; you are not heavily muscled, or carrying excess weight. Eat enough, lift hard, get enough rest and you look like you'll do well.

Last edited by Green_Manelishi; 03-08-2012 at 11:49..
Green_Manelishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 19:18   #46
Comedian
Senior Member
 
Comedian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 923
I was using creatine without many side effects for 8 yrs. More recently i had to stop, since i was getting bad insomnia and some tension from it. Don't take more than 1 teaspoon a day of creatine. Also don't stay on creatine for more than 2 months at a time and make sure you cycle off for at least a month at a time.

You also might experience some feelings of shortness of breath. That was a side effect that i always had to deal with, on the creatine.

Last edited by Comedian; 03-08-2012 at 19:22..
Comedian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 19:45   #47
S.O.Interceptor
Khem-Adam
 
S.O.Interceptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: The Rock of Eternity
Posts: 3,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanours View Post
This is going to be my new routine, with a few other things like maybe crunches thrown in once a week.

Monday - Workout A
Back Squat 3x5 (low bar's better for posterior chain recruitment)
Bench Press3x5
Deadlift 1x5

Wednesday – Workout B
Back Squat 3x5
Overhead Press 3x5
Power Clean 3x5

Friday – Workout A
Back Squat 3x5
Bench Press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

I'll do like you guys said and alternate doing some of the workouts on wednesdays and then on mondays and fridays.
I also just picked up a gallon of whole milk I'm gonna try to see if I can finish in 2 days before I build up to one. I'm planning on mixing in a scoop of my muscle milk protein powder with it as well.

I'd also really like to thank Eyescream for cluing me in to this subforum. I had no idea it existed.

What other workouts could I incorporate on the days I lift to possibly work on abbs (specifically lower, it is the only area where I don't have good definition) and maybe calves?

ETA: I've forced myself to lift for a month or so a couple times in the past, but never really took the time to learn what I was doing. It was always a pain to do, and for some reason I hated it, but forced myself to do it for a while. Interestingly enough this time, I have really enjoyed it. I find it very relaxing and stress relieving after a long day of coursework, and we've got a nice sauna to sit in afterwords. This is what makes me think I'm definitely in for the long haul this time, and am glad I found this resource.
Actually, you'll only want to deadlift once a week. Heavy deadlifts can be hard to recover from. I recommend on Monday doing squats, bench/press, then power cleans. On Wednesday just do squats and bench/press to take it a little easy, because Friday is squat, bench/press and deadlift day.
__________________
Rest In Peace Dad! I love you!!!!
Rest In Peace Mom! I love you!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTPD View Post
And if you have to go H-2-H, unload your holster gun first and rely on your concealed BUG, so that if the nut-job gets your holster gun it will be empty.
S.O.Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 20:25   #48
Eyescream
hates you
 
Eyescream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 38,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.O.Interceptor View Post
Actually, you'll only want to deadlift once a week. Heavy deadlifts can be hard to recover from. I recommend on Monday doing squats, bench/press, then power cleans. On Wednesday just do squats and bench/press to take it a little easy, because Friday is squat, bench/press and deadlift day.
I gave him the beginner program from SS:BBT. Novices can do that, but you still don't do but one workset for the reasons you outlined.

Wendler posted a beginner version of 5/3/1 on his site, though I'm not sure how one computes that since it relies on an honest assessment of one's 1RM…which would be difficult for a novice to come up with.
__________________
someone has to go around behind you undoing all the evil you do. it balances the world out - Trout
Eyescream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:17   #49
nathanours
Texan
 
nathanours's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Born in Texas, now in Colorado
Posts: 2,769
Thought I'd give you guys an update. I finished the whole gallon in 2 days! It made me pee a lot more but that was about the only side effect. I also tried to eat normally in addition to the milk.

I'm gonna try to get to the gym later this afternoon, but sadly I may only be able to go once or twice this next upcoming week because it is my spring break and I'll be away from the college gym. I've got a dip and pullup bar thing in my garage at home and all my boxing stuff, so I'll be able to do some light workouts with that though.

Should I keep doing the milk thing over this next spring break week if I may not be able to lift the full 3 times a week?

Also, I have been doing dips, pull ups, and inverted rows in addition the the workout routine given above. Should I stagger all these things as well?
__________________
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud


Black Rifle Club #1989

Last edited by nathanours; 03-09-2012 at 08:26..
nathanours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:34   #50
dotsun
conf t
 
dotsun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 1,153
Personally if I were taking a week off from heavy lifting I'd lay off the milk. But I'm much older and somewhat fatter than you so YMMV.
__________________
www.ironjeep.com
dotsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:46.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,277
340 Members
937 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42