Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-06-2012, 19:40   #1
Lockback
Polymerlicious!

The G36-The Rodney Dangerfield Of Glocks

It gets no respect.
Two of my favorite gun people, Massad Ayoob and hickock45 - of YouTube fame - ignore it. Both say the G30 packs more rounds and is therefore better. Or that the same-sized Baby Glocks carry more rounds in an even smaller package.
I've had mine for over ten years and it's my EDC gun. (I also have a Gen2 G19 that I love, but the G36 fits my hand and conceals even a little better).
I mean, to each their own. And I respect the opinions of experienced gun guys like Mas and hickock45, who have put many more rounds downrange than I ever have and served in law enforcement. But I still think the G36 is a terrific carry gun. With 7 rounds of .45ACP on hand plus a quick 6-round reload, you're talking up to 13 Big Boys on tap. My gun has been totally reliable. No issues.
So what gives? Why doesn't the G36 get any love?

What say you?
Lockback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:28   #2
Fastbear

There are many Glock models to carry so you will just have to make a pick. Sometimes I carry a 36 with a spare clip in a cell phone BBC carrier. The 36 is light and will do the job. If you feel the need for more firepower then move to the bigger magazine guns. Somedays I carry a revolver just because I can. Today is range day and my new Glock 17 gen4 gets the call. Often when i make casual day trips to do local business the 36 goes on the belt. Look at it this way, the more Glocks you have, the more choices you can have.
Fastbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:56   #3
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockback View Post
It gets no respect.
Two of my favorite gun people, Massad Ayoob and hickock45 - of YouTube fame - ignore it. Both say the G30 packs more rounds and is therefore better. Or that the same-sized Baby Glocks carry more rounds in an even smaller package.
I've had mine for over ten years and it's my EDC gun. (I also have a Gen2 G19 that I love, but the G36 fits my hand and conceals even a little better).
I mean, to each their own. And I respect the opinions of experienced gun guys like Mas and hickock45, who have put many more rounds downrange than I ever have and served in law enforcement. But I still think the G36 is a terrific carry gun. With 7 rounds of .45ACP on hand plus a quick 6-round reload, you're talking up to 13 Big Boys on tap. My gun has been totally reliable. No issues.
So what gives? Why doesn't the G36 get any love?

What say you?

One reason is all the internet gossip/garbage that the G36 is a problematic gun...

One reason is because most people are high cap minded.

One reason is truth be known, a good deal of people cannot shoot a small 45 like this, it hurts there hands.. Seriously !

The, "they are problematic and the the low cap" are the two biggest issues against it I've seen.....

I own one with about 1500 rds through it and not one flaw. I carry it, and switch back and forth from it to my M1911.

Who care what Masad And Hickock say or do amigo, do what you like and what is what is best for your needs!

Enjoy your gun.

CM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:09   #4
NH Trucker
Needs coffee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockback View Post
With 7 rounds of .45ACP on hand plus a quick 6-round reload, you're talking up to 13 Big Boys on tap.

What say you?
I have that capacity in a single G21 magazine, plus 1 in the chamber giving me 14 before I have to reload. The G30 gives you 10 rounds at hand.

Some people prefer a higher capacity. To each their own. It's why there are as many different models of firearms as there are, even just within Glock's brand.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 03-07-2012, 17:34   #5
Wetrudgeon

Lockback:
Your point is well made. Like you, we carry a G36 every day in complete confidence. Ours was purchased in 2004 and has been flawless in reliability. It is small and light and easy to hide; and .45ACP handguns make us feel more cozy than the 9mm.

We don't consider the G36 perfect, but our complaints against it are few, and minor. Being "limited" to six rounds in the magazine might be a tactical disadvantage in some rare scenarios, but we hardly see this limitaion as high risk. Our main complaint against the G36 is relatively heavy recoil makes it not-so-easy to shoot well. A plug, a "+0" mag extension, and some skateboard tape (along with practice) go far to overcome that issue for us.

Perhaps the perfect handgun has yet to be devised, but we think the G36 comes as close as any to perfection.

We trudge on.
Wetrudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 19:11   #6
Lockback
Polymerlicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetrudgeon View Post
Lockback:
Your point is well made. Like you, we carry a G36 every day in complete confidence. Ours was purchased in 2004 and has been flawless in reliability. It is small and light and easy to hide; and .45ACP handguns make us feel more cozy than the 9mm.

We don't consider the G36 perfect, but our complaints against it are few, and minor. Being "limited" to six rounds in the magazine might be a tactical disadvantage in some rare scenarios, but we hardly see this limitaion as high risk. Our main complaint against the G36 is relatively heavy recoil makes it not-so-easy to shoot well. A plug, a "+0" mag extension, and some skateboard tape (along with practice) go far to overcome that issue for us.

Perhaps the perfect handgun has yet to be devised, but we think the G36 comes as close as any to perfection.

We trudge on.
Amen.
I think it's not only the most underrated handgun in the Glock lineup, I think it's one of the most underrated handguns on the market.
Having said that, I know it's not for everyone. Which is fine with me. I don't mind being one of The Few, The Proud, The G36 Carriers.
Old 03-07-2012, 19:59   #7
DaBurna

Shot one at the range the other week from a Gentleman who was nice enough to let me try it out! I can say I was impressed!! Not impressed for me to change from my G30SF, but it shot marvelously! He said he'd owned his for about 2 years and it has had ZERO problems. I do think that much of the G36 bad rap is hyperbole and innuendo...I can say it has WORKED as that was one of the determining factors that led me to getting my G30SF in the 1st place.
DaBurna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 20:37   #8
random southpaw

G36 is my CCW.

Additionally, I recently shared, with my son, about a posting of a study based upon NRA's Armed Citizen incidents. My quick summary is that most "encounters" took place just beyond arms length and the average number of shots fired by the defending citizen against the BG was a total of 2.

My son had been concerned about whether 9mm was "enough." He had also heard from a LEO friend that there were concerns about whether 9mm was what they ought to have.

So, my son asked if he could try on my Cross Breed Super Tuck with the G36 in it. He was pleasantly surprised at how well the G36 conceals. He was also pleased with the comfort of the CBST.

It looks like my son will be buying a G36 and a CBST. However, he may choose to get the horsehide (more expensive) option instead of the cowhide holster that I got.

When I queried my son about whether 6+1 was enough to give him the confidence he needs, he said, "if you can't hit the target with 7 shots, it ain't gonna get done, anyway."
random southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 15:43   #9
L Pete

Those same people who say the G36 don't hold enough carry a J frame on a semi regular basis. I like my G36 and confess to carrying a J frame as well, but I think that 7 shots with a quick mag change is just as effective as can be expected. If you can't put the stop to someone with seven rounds of 45 acp, you just need to move to your basement and seal up the door. The key is not how many shot your auto holds, but how quick you can make a mag change, and how effective you are with that auto. I feel that in a gunfight, you would not empty your G36 before the fight is over.
L Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:18   #10
fastbolt

I know of a couple of Glock employees who prefer the G36.

If I didn't already own an excellent CS45 (3rd gen S&W w/3.25" barrel & 6-rd mags) I'd have picked up a G36. As it is, the G36 is actually closer in size to my 'original' 4513TSW (3.75" barrel & 6-rd mags, vs. the 7-rd mags the current model uses).

I was shooting another instructor's G36 the other day. It was a used model he'd just picked up. Fed & fired just fine with the duty 230gr JHP's used.

I don't worry overly much about sheer capacity issues, myself. (Yes, I'm one of those folks who returned to carrying one or another of my J-frames in recent years when I'm not carrying one or another of my smallish 9's, .40's or .45's.)

Back when I was first carrying my Colt Commander as an off-duty weapon, the magazines only held 7 rounds, and nowadays I use 8-rd 1911 mags.

I have 'standard' 6-rd mags for my Colt Officers Model, although I also picked up a couple of 7-rd mags for it some years ago.

Yes, the G30 magazine holds more rounds if that's a major concern for someone. The G30 also has a larger grip and overall size. Oddly enough, while the slide/barrel length is the same for the G30/36, the G36 has a slight advantage in sight radius.

Suit yourself.

FWIW, my last issued pistol prior to retirement was a 7+1 capacity compact .45, and I didn't lose sleep carrying it.

Train & practice. It's just a handgun.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer

Last edited by fastbolt; 03-10-2012 at 19:23..
fastbolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 17:01   #11
Lockback
Polymerlicious!

Well, it's nice to know I'm not completely alone on this.
Obviously, there are others here who love the G36 and carry it regularly, realizing that they don't or won't necessarily need a 33-round magazine if trouble knocks at their door. I couldn't agree more.
To each their own and I won't criticize those who've made other choices. I like the 9mm and .40 S&W rounds and the 1911 and the G30 and the G21 and the ... well, you get the idea.
I just happen to really, really like the G36. I've owned dozens of handguns and I'm not going to tell you it's the best one I've ever owned. But it is my favorite. Of that, there's no doubt: tough, reliable, fits my hand perfectly, light weight, concealable.
I'm glad there are others here who agree with me.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:54   #12
DesertEagle
CLM Number 57
OH HELL MY HEAD

Send a message via AIM to DesertEagle Send a message via Yahoo to DesertEagle
There was a story posted on GT, a long time ago, of a member (IIRC) who had to defend himself and his loved one. Long story, most of it not relevant to this post, but he faced multiple attackers, and it took 9 rounds to end the confrontation I believe, and other attackers fled in the force of overwhelming response rather than press the attack which would have required even more rounds.

Average may be 2. Do you want to be the one caught without if you wind up in an "above average" situation? Carry as much as you can. Sorta goes with shoot the biggest caliber that's comfortable. Sure a man with .22 holes is less likely to want to hurt you than a man with no holes - but a man with 9mm holes, .40 holes, .45 holes, etc might be even more disinclined to do you harm.
Bladerunner: #1208 - Forty Club: #1208 - HiPo Club - Niner's: #1208 - Rimfire: #69
DesertEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:39   #13
DonGlock26

I've always been impressed by the G36. It fits my hand very well and packs a big punch.
Old 03-11-2012, 13:27   #14
citra47

Years ago when I had my FFL, my partner and I had to laugh at the number of new concealed carry permit holders that came in with a list of priorities for their ideal CC gun. Of primary concern was the magazine size (it had to carry a lot of ammo), then adjustable sights and so on. Most purchased a rather large handgun usually of 9mm persuasion. It didn't take long for many to return for something smaller and lighter......and, a willingness to ask for assistance in what works well for CC. That said, I love the .45 as a defensive cartridge and I love Glocks. The G30 is just too large for my hand and although I find it exceedingly accurate in timed fire for me it is not a carry option. The G36, however, fits me very well and is easy for me to conceal and shoot well. In Florida, concealment can many times be a problem but my G36 gets carried a lot.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:37   #15
xmanhockey7

Last edited by xmanhockey7; 03-12-2012 at 10:37..
xmanhockey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 15:00   #16
Rick O'Shay

The G36 is also MY favorite of the Glock family. It doesn't hurt my hand at all, but all of the .40's do. They are now serving other masters, while the 36 is in the safe, waiting for its next outing with me.
The G19 is a very close second, and if I want high capacity. But if seven .45's don't get you, I'm all ***** and elbows from the scene anyhow.
Rick O'Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 20:16   #17
Lockback
Polymerlicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertEagle View Post
There was a story posted on GT, a long time ago, of a member (IIRC) who had to defend himself and his loved one. Long story, most of it not relevant to this post, but he faced multiple attackers, and it took 9 rounds to end the confrontation I believe, and other attackers fled in the force of overwhelming response rather than press the attack which would have required even more rounds.

Average may be 2. Do you want to be the one caught without if you wind up in an "above average" situation? Carry as much as you can. Sorta goes with shoot the biggest caliber that's comfortable. Sure a man with .22 holes is less likely to want to hurt you than a man with no holes - but a man with 9mm holes, .40 holes, .45 holes, etc might be even more disinclined to do you harm.
Fair point and I won't argue with you ...

... much.

"In most cases", I think 7 rounds of .45ACP plus a spare magazine of 6 rounds should solve most "problems". But I confess that, all things being equal, the more rounds, the better.
But I'll take my chances, thank you very much.
Old 03-12-2012, 21:44   #18
Shark1007

I, for one, got spooked by the stories on the 36 and instead I have a Kahr CW45 and am pleased. I have a 30 that's too fat and a 21 that's too big and a 38 that's just about right.

Maybe the 36 has gotten a bad rap and the stories of failures were too many for my comfort level. Of course, the Kahr has been back to the factory more than once before I felt trust after another 500 rounds.

Good discussion, I wonder how many have been spooked away from a purchase?
Shark1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 19:36   #19
Lockback
Polymerlicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark1007 View Post
I, for one, got spooked by the stories on the 36 and instead I have a Kahr CW45 and am pleased. I have a 30 that's too fat and a 21 that's too big and a 38 that's just about right.

Maybe the 36 has gotten a bad rap and the stories of failures were too many for my comfort level. Of course, the Kahr has been back to the factory more than once before I felt trust after another 500 rounds.

Good discussion, I wonder how many have been spooked away from a purchase?
Many, I'm sure.
The G36 has always been the most controversial of Glock models. So many stories about it: failures to feed, failures to extract, jams, blah blah blah ...
I can't speak for others. I'm not saying it hasn't happened or that every failure is user-oriented. I honestly just don't know.
All I know is that mine works every time.
'Tis a mystery.
Old 03-13-2012, 19:47   #20
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonMan View Post
, a good deal of people cannot shoot a small 45 like this, it hurts there hands.. Seriously !
Hurts my ears, but I'll deal with that if I have to.

Last edited by OldSchool64; 03-13-2012 at 19:48..
OldSchool64 is online now   Reply With Quote