Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-05-2012, 19:50   #101
jwhite75
Gubmint Worker

I have spent 3/4 of my career working with nothing but convicted felons and criminals (probation and parole). I have been personally responsible for a lot of people going to prison. They dont like me, their families are still out and they get out at some point. I can also spot the unjailed criminals much easier than other people.

I dont plan to be a headline about some turd killing a probation officer at Wal Mart or the shopping mall. I will be a whirlwind of violence towards my aggressor until my last breath. If that means multiple rounds being flung downrange so be it.
Old 03-05-2012, 21:08   #102
Offtarget

I actually had a Police Officer ask me "Why do you feel the need to carry a gun?" I said politely "Officer I would like to ask you the same question and use your answer".
Offtarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 21:25   #103
kensteele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offtarget View Post
I actually had a Police Officer ask me "Why do you feel the need to carry a gun?" I said politely "Officer I would like to ask you the same question and use your answer".
What if he said because his job requires him to carry a firearm? Personally if asked that question by LEO, I would reply with "I'm not really sure how to answer that question. I'm afraid I don't have a good answer for you, sorry."
kensteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 21:50   #104
Offtarget

kensteele, He kind of gave me a knowing smirk and moved on to something else. He could tell, under the circumstances, that I wan't trying to be smart, so he did view that as an acceptable answer.
Offtarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 21:59   #105
RedHaze
Handgunner

I came across this quite a while back... but I think it sums it up pretty well.

Quote:
I don’t carry a gun to make me feel like a man. I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don’t carry a gun to scare people. I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don’t carry a gun because I’m paranoid. I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don’t carry a gun because I’m evil. I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don’t carry a gun because I hate the government. I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don’t carry a gun because I’m angry. I carry a gun so that I don’t have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don’t carry a gun because I want to shoot someone. I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

-My Favorite-
I don’t carry a gun because I’m a cowboy. I carry a gun because, when I die and go to heaven, I want to be a cowboy.

I don’t carry a gun because I feel inadequate. I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don’t carry a gun because I love it. I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

Police Protection is an oxymoron. Free citizens must protect themselves. Police do not protect you from crime, they usually just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.
Old 03-06-2012, 00:11   #106
ConcealedG23

When seconds count, LEO are minutes away.

D
ConcealedG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:18   #107
OSSI
CLM Number 128
Litter Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvdux View Post
So what is your favorite Answer to the question "why do you need to carry a gun?"

Obviously many need to, police and such, but For the ccw what is your answer?

My buddy asked me a few weeks back and I said "I don't NEED to, and I AIM to keep it that way." corney but got a laugh out of him.
Well, down here the Bad guys do, so I 'm supposed to do. They do, I can't. What's wrong here
Old 03-06-2012, 06:25   #108
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat

Quote:
I actually had a Police Officer ask me "Why do you feel the need to carry a gun?"
Spits tobacco juice on the ground: " 'cause some folks need shootin'."

Regards,
Happyguy
Old 03-06-2012, 06:48   #109
eclark53520

I pretty much avoid the question. They will never understand why you 'need' to carry a gun, asking the question is just a way for them to feel superior because now you have to somehow justify yourself to them.

If they insist on an answer, I answer with 'If you have to ask that question, you're not mature enough to understand the answer.' They don't typically want to talk to you after that suggestion, which is what I was aiming for.
eclark53520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:17   #110
SigFTW

Quote:
Because I don't have room in my pocket for a cop because of the Israeli guy.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:36   #111
Mopaw

Why do I carry a gun?
Because when seconds count the police are minutes away.

Now please understand, I have many close friends who are in Law Enforcement, and this is in no way a slight to them (or any LEO). I'm only pointing out the practicality of being prepared. On any given day you'll find me carrying a Glock, keys, money, and a handkerchief. Each has a specific, indispensable purpose that the others can't meet.
Mopaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 15:54   #112
Jack23
I. B. Glockin'

I carry a gun for the one time in my entire life that I will need it to protect my own life of the life of someone else. Since I don't know when or even if I'll ever need it but if I only need it one time having carried it for all the years of my life it will have been well worth it. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, I carry it so I don't have to be afraid. Many of my friends that don't carry have told me that they do feel comfortable around me because if the worst should happen they know that I'll be prepared.
G-17, G-23, G-21, G-36, Ruger blackhawk, ss, Ruger 10/22, Ruger Mark II, Ruger SP101, British Webley MKI .455, Kel-Tec P32, S&W top break .38, S&W 24-3 .44spl N frame Colt 1903 .32, Heritage .22 Combo, Colt AR-15, LE6920.
Jack23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 16:19   #113
ConcealedG23

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclark53520 View Post
'If you have to ask that question, you're not mature enough to understand the answer.'
I'm defanitely going to reply with this one to whomever asks why I carry with a demeaning tone. If an individual has a genuine interest, see my prior post.

D
ConcealedG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 17:06   #114
C J

Besides the obvious 'protect myself & family' or the lame 'because I can', it's our right. We all see what's going on in this country now. Contrary to the fact that crime is down. Most of us have been carrying for a few years. I'd hate be caught without a firearm anywhere or anytime. None of us even run to the mailbox without something. People who act like it's not happening in their town or area crack me up. Where do all these people live anyway? When's the last time any of you guys have been to Florida? If you come down, don't pack light!
C J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 17:24   #115
pokersamurai

Either:

"Some people like their life insurance policy written on paper, I like mine made out of steel."

or my smart a** response,

"I carry a gun because I can't afford the model that carries me."
Old 03-06-2012, 18:05   #116
Tang419
Glock is GUUD

My best answer has to go back to "It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it"

They might find me some day dead in a ditch, but by God I will be in a pile of brass.

I now carry a G19 and two extra mags. Thats 46 rounds at my disposal. If I don't get the job done by then, I deserve to die.

I was asked once, because I carry gun, was I scared of something. No I'm not scared, I have a gun dumb@$$ :-D

...and ofcourse, Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Last edited by Tang419; 03-06-2012 at 18:09..
Tang419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 18:12   #117
Tang419
Glock is GUUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by C J View Post
Besides the obvious 'protect myself & family' or the lame 'because I can', it's our right. We all see what's going on in this country now. Contrary to the fact that crime is down. Most of us have been carrying for a few years. I'd hate be caught without a firearm anywhere or anytime. None of us even run to the mailbox without something. People who act like it's not happening in their town or area crack me up. Where do all these people live anyway? When's the last time any of you guys have been to Florida? If you come down, don't pack light!

Im glad you posted this, I don't feel so bad now. I carry my pistol on me every second Im at home. Sometimes open sometimes concealed, but my neighbors like me around.
Old 03-06-2012, 18:19   #118
sglock45

why do I carry, because I have seen some crazy stuff in my 29 years and I don't want to become a victim or when the seconds count the cops are minutes away that's my favorite

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
old .22 relvolver
sglock45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 18:29   #119
SouthernBoyVA

Quote:
Answer: "Same reason as you, I suppose."
Answer: "So I don't have to use it."
Answer: "Same reason that I feel I need fire insurance."
Answer: "It's not a question of need. It's a question of necessity."
Answer: "I hear and see things others don't."

Obviously, a few of these are in the humorous vein and are probably best used if the officer has a sense of humor.
Old 03-06-2012, 18:32   #120
RedNine
AutomatedSystem

Because it's not going to follow me around on it's own initiative.
RedNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 18:50   #121
wrenrj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUJEEPER View Post
Why I carry a gun...

I don't carry a gun to kill people. I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don't carry a gun to scare people. I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid. I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I'm evil. I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I hate the government. I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry. I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone. I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man. I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate. I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don't carry a gun because I love it. I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

Stolen off another GT poster....
I'm printing this off and keeping it in my glove box for future use...
Old 03-06-2012, 19:02   #122
GKglock324
GKshooter

I carry because I can and I have not shot anyone...nor do I want to. As a trained CHL carrier, you are trained to deal in certain situations. Everyone is different. When to use force to to stop..and when to kill. To protect your life and property is a good right. If ya unarmed, and someone try to carjack ya...I don't think harsh language will stop them.
Granted, if they have a gun to your head, give up the car...then ya shoot out the tires after they drive away. No One wants the conscience of killing someone on their mind over a car....BUT...if a trespasser is found in the house..He can talk to St. Peter.
GKglock324 is offline   Reply With Quote