Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-17-2012, 22:20   #1
dustbusterplus

Modifying a Kydex Holster

I have a Kydex holster that I bought from X-Concealment and I love the quality of it, but I was thinking of putting an additional mounting hole along the side of it to get the ride just like I like it. Is there any advice I could get for going about this? I have a drill, but as far as the eyelets that finish the hole, what would be the cheapest way to go about that? I want to add a hole on each side, so 2 total. I really don't want to spend a lot of money for something that I doubt I will do again.

Or would this be a task that would be better left just sending it to someone who already does this sort of thing?
dustbusterplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 00:04   #2
KentuckyPatriot
No BS Here!

You could always try your local hardware store for small quantity eyelets. They should be able to help you find the right size. Not sure, but perhaps if you have a Tandy Leather they might have a few for some of their leather kits and belts they sell...

Just a couple ideas.
Gen 4: G22, G27; Gen 3: G23, G26, G30s;J-Frames: Model 60 and M&P 340; S&W Bodyguard 380 x2; Ruger LC9 with Laserguard
KentuckyPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:25   #3
dustbusterplus

I'm really looking for what tools would I need to flare the eyelets and what would be the cheapest way to go about it?
Old 02-18-2012, 13:17   #4
RedneckRampage

I added holes to a OWB Kydex holster to give it more cant. I didn't use the eyelets and haven't had a issue.
RedneckRampage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 16:10   #5
vbrtrmn

Sorry I'm a bit late to the thread, first post here too.

I run a very small custom Kydex holster company out of VA. You can get a small set of eyelets from KnifeKits.com they also sell the eyelet flaring dies. Tandy Leather also sells eyelets and the flaring dies. Both companies are easy to deal with, there are some local Tandy Leather shops in some areas.

I highly recommend using the flaring die to get a finished look on the eyelet... if you don't want to spend the cash on it... perhaps starting with a countersunk head screw then finishing with a flange or cheese head or vice versa. Use light, consistent taps with your hammer to get the eyelet to roll properly, I highly recommend experimenting with the eyelets on something aside from your holster to get used to how they form. We use a flaring press, but $50-$100 is a bit much to pay to put a couple of eyelets in.

When drilling.. go very slowly (low RPM low pressure) with your drill, you can easily get the Kydex caught up in the bit and convert your holster into trash. We use step drills which work MUCH better than standard... but again, you're going to pay considerably more per bit.
vbrtrmn is offline   Reply With Quote