GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 15:17   #1
beaversgs
Senior Member
 
beaversgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boone, NC
Posts: 592
Wanting a 5" 1911...

Starting to shop around for 5" 1911's. Want a blue/black gun. Can't decide if I want a rail or not. Here's my short list. Not a fan of MIM parts since I had a MIM trigger on my carry revolver crack and randomly lock the trigger back after firing until you shook it loose. So:

Rail:
Colt Rail Gun
Kimber TLE
SIG Tac
RIA

Non Rail:
Colt XSE
SA Loaded or RO
Kimber TLE or Custom II
SIG

Prefer US made guns and the only reason I'm even considering the RIA is the rail gun in my local shop is @$600 and has as good if not a better trigger than the SA's and Colts I tried. I've also been told that the Colt has more plastic parts than the RIA. I've had a 4" Colt 1991 A1 Combat Commander that was a jam-0-matic and a Kimber Pro Carry I that had "issues". My 3" Kimber Ultra Carry was super reliable, but difficult to shoot fast and accurate given its size and weight.

Love to hear input from folks who own any of those above or other suggestions. Ruger and S&W E series aren't listed primarily because they don't make a blue/black one yet

Thanks,

GregB

Last edited by beaversgs; 02-21-2012 at 15:19..
beaversgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 15:20   #2
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member
 
Glockdude1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Beaumont,Texas
Posts: 26,645


You forgot to add Springfield Operator at the top of your "Rail" list.

1911 Forums

__________________
"Some People Are Like Slinkies. They're Not Really Good For Anything, But They Bring a Smile To Your Face When Pushed Down The Stairs."
Glockdude1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 16:11   #3
Wetrudgeon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Beyond the beyond
Posts: 884
We own a full rail RIA and have been very well pleased with it so far. Like the one you examined, the trigger on ours is excellent. For the price, you can scarcely do better.

We trudge on.
Wetrudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 16:16   #4
Bodyarmorguy
Senior Member
 
Bodyarmorguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 1,035
Almost all production firearms these days are going to have some MIM parts in them. Unless you do a custom build from the ground up with non-MIM parts spec'd your going to get some.
__________________
"If you are ALWAYS ready....you never have to GET ready....."
Bodyarmorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 16:17   #5
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member
 
faawrenchbndr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: US
Posts: 31,974
Find a Ruger ST1911,......
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 21:57   #6
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 87,368
There are plenty of great choices.
__________________
.

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 22:06   #7
crazymoose
Nonentity
 
crazymoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,075
All of the guns in the list use MIM parts. The cheapest option I know of that doesn't use MIM in the critical areas (fire control parts) is the STI Trojan at $1,000.
__________________
Do not mistake precedent for justification.

Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. Voltaire
crazymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 23:38   #8
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It
 
fnfalman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: California & New Mexico, US
Posts: 54,810


If you want another option for non-rail model then consider the offerings from ATI. Their guns are made by SAM of the Phillipines - much nicer than RIA offerings.

BTW, Colt M1991A1s were and are not very good representations of the marque. They were baseline models back in the days. The XSE is pretty decent if you can live with the ambidextrous safety, front slide serration and a bunch of unnecessary geegaws that are so de rigueur nowadays. I wanted a Lightweight Commander and the only gun that was available at that time was the XSE Lightweight Commander. So instead of waiting for a used gun to come in, I bought it. Changed out the ambi safety for the left side safety, steel mainspring housing for the stock plastic housing and a 10-8 rear sight for the factory Novak rear. Nothing wrong with Novak sight design, in this gun it just happened to shoot 3" low.
__________________
Can you dig it?
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 00:03   #9
kansasboy91
Your Opinion
 
kansasboy91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kansas
Posts: 74
Remington R1, RIA, or Auto-Ordnance
__________________
Glock 17 Gen3
Glock 27 Gen4 - Meritime Spring Cups and +"2" baseplate
Auto-Ordanance M1911-A1 .45acp
Ruger SR22P
kansasboy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:01   #10
beaversgs
Senior Member
 
beaversgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boone, NC
Posts: 592
I checked out the ATI and the trigger wasn't as good as the RIA, IMHO, also haven't seen a railed ATI yet. The only reason I'd buy the RIA is if I can get my head/heart around a quality imported 1911 to save @$200-$300. As for the Operator, love it, but it's two tone, a non starter for me at that price. Same with the Ruger, I don't want to pay @$700 and then have to have it coated to make it black like it should have been in the first place

GregB
beaversgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:04   #11
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member
 
Glockdude1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Beaumont,Texas
Posts: 26,645


Quote:
Originally Posted by beaversgs View Post
As for the Operator, love it, but it's two tone, a non starter for me at that price. Same with the Ruger, I don't want to pay @$700 and then have to have it coated to make it black like it should have been in the first place

GregB
They come in all Black.
1911 Forums



(In case you change your mind and want to spend a little more.)
__________________
"Some People Are Like Slinkies. They're Not Really Good For Anything, But They Bring a Smile To Your Face When Pushed Down The Stairs."
Glockdude1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:26   #12
itstime
Senior Member
 
itstime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 6,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymoose View Post
All of the guns in the list use MIM parts. The cheapest option I know of that doesn't use MIM in the critical areas (fire control parts) is the STI Trojan at $1,000.
I agree. Of what you listed the Sig gets my nod.

I would also look more into Springfield also.

How much do you want to spend? TRP?
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:36   #13
brickboy240
Senior Member
 
brickboy240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Houston, TX, USA
Posts: 3,481
Colt only uses around 2-3 MIM parts...unlike some of the others on that list. They are all internal small parts.

- brickboy240
__________________
Our founders would be shooting by now!
brickboy240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 15:56   #14
jrs93accord
Senior Member
 
jrs93accord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 5,637
Here are a few suggestions:

Desert Eagle 1911-G
1911 Forums

Remington 1911-R1
1911 Forums

Remington 1911-R1 Enhanced
1911 Forums

Kimber Custom II
1911 Forums

RIA Tactical
1911 Forums

and if you like the old school look, here is a blued Cimarron Arms 1911
1911 Forums
__________________
Pensacola, FL, NRA Member

A bad day shooting beats a great day working!
jrs93accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 13:23   #15
beaversgs
Senior Member
 
beaversgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boone, NC
Posts: 592
Not looking to spend TRP or Operator money. If I'm spending $1K or more on something that goes "bang" at this point in my life, it'll more than likely be .308 and have a stock

I handled the SIG TacOps, SA Range Officer, SA Loaded, Kimber Custom II, and the Remington Enhanced yesterday. Both the SA's and the Kimber, required that I drop the mag to drop the slide, they were that tight. The SIG and the Remington Enhanced were both nice and I liked the "feel" of both of them. The SA's biggest selling point for me is the "gear" pack. I could buy one more mag and be set for IDPA, so that figures into the price. The SIG is the best deal, comes with a decent holster and I think 4 mags. Local prices:

SA Loaded $829
SA RO $839
Kimber Custom II $799
RIA Rail $589
R1 Enhanced $829
Sig TACOPS $869

I know I can probably get 'em cheaper elsewhere. What do you think? Also, seeing a used Doublestar Rail gun for @$1K...

Thanks,

GregB
beaversgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 18:39   #16
majette
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 899
if the loaded is a NM serial go for it. other than that, get the doublestar.
majette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 19:51   #17
gocubs6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaversgs View Post
Not looking to spend TRP or Operator money. If I'm spending $1K or more on something that goes "bang" at this point in my life, it'll more than likely be .308 and have a stock

I handled the SIG TacOps, SA Range Officer, SA Loaded, Kimber Custom II, and the Remington Enhanced yesterday. Both the SA's and the Kimber, required that I drop the mag to drop the slide, they were that tight. The SIG and the Remington Enhanced were both nice and I liked the "feel" of both of them. The SA's biggest selling point for me is the "gear" pack. I could buy one more mag and be set for IDPA, so that figures into the price. The SIG is the best deal, comes with a decent holster and I think 4 mags. Local prices:

SA Loaded $829
SA RO $839
Kimber Custom II $799
RIA Rail $589
R1 Enhanced $829
Sig TACOPS $869

I know I can probably get 'em cheaper elsewhere. What do you think? Also, seeing a used Doublestar Rail gun for @$1K...

Thanks,

GregB
Id take the RO or RIA Rail on that list.
gocubs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 20:14   #18
Feanor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaversgs View Post
Starting to shop around for 5" 1911's. Want a blue/black gun. Can't decide if I want a rail or not. Here's my short list. Not a fan of MIM parts since I had a MIM trigger on my carry revolver crack and randomly lock the trigger back after firing until you shook it loose. So:

Rail:
Colt Rail Gun
Kimber TLE
SIG Tac
RIA

Non Rail:
Colt XSE
SA Loaded or RO
Kimber TLE or Custom II
SIG

Prefer US made guns and the only reason I'm even considering the RIA is the rail gun in my local shop is @$600 and has as good if not a better trigger than the SA's and Colts I tried. I've also been told that the Colt has more plastic parts than the RIA. I've had a 4" Colt 1991 A1 Combat Commander that was a jam-0-matic and a Kimber Pro Carry I that had "issues". My 3" Kimber Ultra Carry was super reliable, but difficult to shoot fast and accurate given its size and weight.

Love to hear input from folks who own any of those above or other suggestions. Ruger and S&W E series aren't listed primarily because they don't make a blue/black one yet

Thanks,

GregB

Colt would be my first choice, Dan Wesson or SA my second.

Last edited by Feanor; 03-01-2012 at 13:17..
Feanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 21:00   #19
glock2740
Gun lover.
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NW Ark.
Posts: 18,905
Kimber TLE is the tops on your list. Personally, and I'm a big Kimber fan, I'd go Valor or TRP.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:02   #20
20South
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: East of CBUS
Posts: 1,907
I'd buy the Doublestar...
__________________
"You should never under estimate the predictability of stupidity" - Bullet Tooth Tony
20South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:06   #21
beaversgs
Senior Member
 
beaversgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boone, NC
Posts: 592
Now I'm seeing the SALightweight Operator for @$900. Dang it this ain't easy... Biggest decision I need to make is what I want to spend.

GregB
beaversgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 13:35   #22
Lethaltxn
Senior Member
 
Lethaltxn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaversgs View Post
Now I'm seeing the SALightweight Operator for @$900. Dang it this ain't easy... Biggest decision I need to make is what I want to spend.

GregB
When I was looking for a SA LW champion operator, it took me about three months. I got one for $780 from a guy in Connecticut. Keep your eyes open they're out there.
__________________
Custom PC's
2012 Bumper Stickers
Lew Horton Springfield Compact 1911
Springfield Loaded
Lethaltxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 22:00   #23
thinktwice
Senior Member
 
thinktwice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 396
If I am not mistaken, the Colt Rail gun has less MIM parts, than most of the other production guns. I looked at the new Colt Rail gun in all black, it's seems to be very well made,and fit and finish was very impressive.
__________________
Guns Have Only Two Enemies: Rust and Politicians.
thinktwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 22:40   #24
Glocklvr
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 80
Kimber TLE is a great service pistol. I don't know if LAPD SWAT is still using it but I know at one time it was their sevice pistol. Mine has never failed me although I do use Wilson Mags. I think you would be happy with it.
Glocklvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:44   #25
okie
GT Mayor
 
okie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Muskogee Ok.
Posts: 129,520


I vote the RO my friend
1911 Forums
__________________
Don't dial 911, dial 1911
If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them!
Schiit audio, everything else ain't.
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:16.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 834
202 Members
632 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42