GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 17:52   #21
Jim S.
Senior Member
 
Jim S.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 4,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGlockBoy View Post
When you place your pinky against the mag bottom, it pushes it back and hence makes the front top of mag pull down a little more. This only flattens out the angle that much more. This tends to let the rim of the fired case catch the neck of the next round in the mag. THis either causes it to pull out of the extractor premature and not eject properly or something odd.
I do not place my "pinky" on the magazine but actually I place it under the base plate.
Much more comfortable for my large hands.
I too noticed that the magazine could be influenced by pulling on it with your little finger and I thought that it could cause feed problems.
It would be interesting to see if there are any problems with this gun after altering how it is held.
__________________
The Evil Captain Kirk
Jim S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 17:53   #22
WinterWizard
Senior Member
 
WinterWizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,331
I have a G36 with about 600 rounds so far, 10 different brands of ammo, zero malfunctions.
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 18:23   #23
dawgchamp
Senior Member
 
dawgchamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWizard View Post
I have a G36 with about 600 rounds so far, 10 different brands of ammo, zero malfunctions.
Ten different actual brands, or ten different brand/weights/bullet types?

Last edited by dawgchamp; 02-29-2012 at 18:23..
dawgchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 22:24   #24
mah77
Senior Member
 
mah77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: California
Posts: 139
Bought mine on Valentines Day (2-14-12), and it had a test fire date of 2-7-12. Ive shot Federal, Winchester, PMC, and Blazer, all with ZERO issues. Sorry to hear about your problems though.
__________________
Glock 19 Gen 4
Glock 30 Gen 3
Glock 36 Gen 3
mah77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:11   #25
WinterWizard
Senior Member
 
WinterWizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgchamp View Post
Ten different actual brands, or ten different brand/weights/bullet types?
Ten different brands. Federal (Champion and American Eagle), Cor-Bon (regular JHP and Pow'R Ball), Hornady, PMC, S&B, Fiocchi, Speer, Winchester, Magtech, Remington.

And I have shot the Cor-Bon, Hornady and Speer in different weights as well.

So, ten different brands, ranging from FMJ to hollow point to +P. Zero malfunctions.

Last edited by WinterWizard; 03-01-2012 at 10:16..
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 16:07   #26
tuica
Senior Member
 
tuica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Portland,Oregon
Posts: 1,832
Next time I shoot the G36 will have to see how much I "pull back" on the mag extension. Think I have always used the Pearce +0, so no experience firing with the standard Glock extension. Pearce felt the best from the start. Cheers.
__________________
Tuica: NRA Certified Instructor; Oregon CHL Instructor; GMG2 - US Navy 1976-1980. USS Coral Sea, 1977-1980. Forward Deployed - The Gulf.
tuica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 16:18   #27
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,020
My 2nd Glock is likely to be a G36. I hope that all of the problems are worked out by then . . . . .
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 16:24   #28
fastbolt
Senior Member
 
fastbolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Within the lightning (Northern CA)
Posts: 9,681
I don't see or shoot many G36's. For whatever reason, it doesn't seem to be a "popular" off-duty weapon among the folks I see come through our range.

The last couple of them I can remember shooting seemed to run just fine in my hands, using the duty hollowpoints of the time (which change among the major makers).

The owner of the first one complained of frequent feeding problems. It worked just fine when I tried it, but he took it to a friend at another agency who was a Glock armorer. That armorer told him that while the gun could use some cleaning and wasn't sufficiently lubricated, that otherwise it was in good condition and working normally. Last I heard, that owner got rid of that G36 and bought a different make/caliber of gun.

The last one I shot was very recently (although it was a gun made in the mid-2000's, I believe). Good feeding & functioning using duty hollowpoints (230gr Golden Sabre), shooting 1 & 2-handed, slow & rapid shot strings. Nothing out of the ordinary. No pinched finger. Good to go.

The G36 is an interesting model. Same overall length as the G30 (with a longer barrel than my 3.25" CS45, being just barely longer than my 3.75" 4513TSW), but with more length between the sights than the G30.

If I didn't already own a CS45 & an "original" 4513TSW, both of which also use 6-rd magazines, I'd buy a G36.
__________________
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer

Last edited by fastbolt; 03-01-2012 at 16:24..
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:52   #29
WinterWizard
Senior Member
 
WinterWizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
My 2nd Glock is likely to be a G36. I hope that all of the problems are worked out by then . . . . .
There are no problems to be worked out. The OP had a lemon gun from years ago. The G36s, by all accounts, have been running fine for about almost 10 years now in the hands of people who know how to shoot, not nancy limp-wristers who think they can manage a compact, lightweight .45 acp.
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:43   #30
iambrb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5
I cannot help but wonder if the chamber was at the limit of acceptability, and if so, changing the barrel would do it. Just a thought
iambrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 19:33   #31
Chipotle
Senior Member
 
Chipotle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWizard View Post
There are no problems to be worked out. The OP had a lemon gun from years ago.
Wrong.

I'm the original owner of the G36 that led to a lawsuit against Glock.

See the comments at the site to see that a new G36 was purchased last year with this exact issue.

The design has a defect that Glock 1) will not acknowledge, and 2) shows in some of the G36s.

Most G36s work fine.

It is fun to throw out the "limp-wrist" label. It takes more effort to know the facts.

Chris
Chipotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 19:59   #32
WinterWizard
Senior Member
 
WinterWizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
Wrong.

I'm the original owner of the G36 that led to a lawsuit against Glock.

See the comments at the site to see that a new G36 was purchased last year with this exact issue.

The design has a defect that Glock 1) will not acknowledge, and 2) shows in some of the G36s.

Most G36s work fine.

It is fun to throw out the "limp-wrist" label. It takes more effort to know the facts.

Chris
It says you bought the gun in June 2008. That is nearly 4 years ago. And your experience is your own and not typical of G36s. You got a bad gun with a weird problem. Deal with it. Stop whining. Just because you had a problem with your G36 does not mean it's indicative of EVERY G36.

By the way, the three brands of ammo listed on the blog (Remington, Winchester and Blazer) are all notorious for being weak. Standard velocity out of a 5" barrel for .45 acp is about 830-850 fps. I would gander those three brands are probably in the 750-800 range. I try to avoid them if at all possible. And I don't care what the box or their website says. Read the fine print. All cheap ammo will say somewhere, "Subject to change" or "Subject to variances." This is their get out of jail free card to manufacture weak ammo and save on powder, in turn maximizing profit. You can't blame a gun that won't run on ammo that is not even SAAMI spec. Try American Eagle, Speer Lawman, Sellier & Bellot or Fiocchi. Stay away from Winchester, Remington, Blazer, PMC and I am sure many more off brands that I won't even bother to gamble on.

Not saying ammo is the problem with the G36 in question, but it certainly isn't helping if the problem can't be duplicated with Corbon +P ammo.

A lot of American ammo is weak. Corporate greed rules the day. Glock made the mistake of redesigning their gen4's for real ammo and it has backfired. Most American range ammo is weak and a lot of new shooters buy Glocks. It's no wonder between the weak ammo and poor grip that a lot of guns are not generating enough energy to positively extract and eject consistently.

Last edited by WinterWizard; 03-06-2012 at 21:08..
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 20:20   #33
Lockback
Polymerlicious!
 
Lockback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLL9mm View Post
I was having the exact same issues with my G36 as mentioned. I replaced the extractor and bearing with the older Non-LCI versions and the problems went away completley. Give it a try.
I have the older non-LCI version and have never had any issues whatsoever.
Lockback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 20:42   #34
bunk22
Senior Member
 
bunk22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
Wrong.

I'm the original owner of the G36 that led to a lawsuit against Glock.

See the comments at the site to see that a new G36 was purchased last year with this exact issue.

The design has a defect that Glock 1) will not acknowledge, and 2) shows in some of the G36s.

Most G36s work fine.

It is fun to throw out the "limp-wrist" label. It takes more effort to know the facts.

Chris
I bought a problematic/defective Glock 36 back in 2010. It is still the worst gun I've purchased, a lemon no doubt. I know a few guys with G36's who have had no issues at all but you and I were not so lucky.
__________________
-Glock Gen 4 G17/G19/G42; Gen 3 G17/G19/36
-Sig P226 Navy/220/227 SAS/229R/M11-A1D/1911 TACOPS/M400/556xi
-XDM 45/XDs 4.0 45/Walther PPX/C39 AK47

bunk22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 23:44   #35
rich n
Senior Member
 
rich n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 214
Stay away from Winchester, Remington, Blazer, PMC and I am sure many more off brands

No problems with any of this ammo with my G30 but my 30sf wouldn't cycle my duty ranger+p 230 grain reliably or cheaper stuff. Why is it so hard to believe that Glock can make a bad massed produced gun once in a while?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
rich n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:03   #36
WinterWizard
Senior Member
 
WinterWizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich n View Post
Why is it so hard to believe that Glock can make a bad massed produced gun once in a while?
A handful of bad G36s over years and years (and conveniently only with certain ammo and often people new to .45s and certainly people new to compact, lightweight .45s), perhaps, but there is nothing wrong with the G36 in general.

Now the new gen4 G17 and G19, that is another story. When hundreds of people are having issues in a short time period, there is a problem.

Last edited by WinterWizard; 03-07-2012 at 02:04..
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 23:35   #37
BIGBOY61
Senior Member
 
BIGBOY61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chantilly, Va.
Posts: 177
It is amazing that after the documented history of the problems of your G36 that Glock wouldn't just replace it with a new pistol and keep the customer happy!

I think it would be cheaper to replace the entire pistol than to send their attorney goons into court at $500 an hour to be represented.

We are not talking about a Wilson Combat Supergrade that sells for $5000. Geez, a $500 retail gun that costs Glock about $150 to make.........you do the math!!!

Sad story. Greed over a $500 pistol? Replace the damn thing.

I own a G36 and have not had an issue with it so far. I reload my own .45 ammo and keep it just around 900fps. I use a Lone Wolf barrel because I reload.
BIGBOY61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 16:47   #38
tinstar78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1
Glock 36

Just came back from the range with my new Glock 36. Fired 200 rds . FMJ JHP 230 gr. Winchester white box. Not one problem! Dead on at 15 yards. Checked with Glock when it came in last week,my gun was made in May,2012. I guess they got it right. Slim ,love it. 7 rds its ok,what i had in the service.33 yrs law enforcement always worked on that first shot! I will take the slim G36 in .45 cal. Love it!
tinstar78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 23:56   #39
fastbolt
Senior Member
 
fastbolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Within the lightning (Northern CA)
Posts: 9,681
Maybe some folks might not care, but I know of a couple of Glock employees who carry G36's. Doubt they'd do so if they felt there was an inherent problem.
__________________
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 16:50   #40
RichardB
Silver Membership
Senior Member
 
RichardB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 1,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWizard View Post
It says you bought the gun in June 2008. That is nearly 4 years ago. And your experience is your own and not typical of G36s. You got a bad gun with a weird problem. Deal with it. Stop whining. Just because you had a problem with your G36 does not mean it's indicative of EVERY G36.

By the way, the three brands of ammo listed on the blog (Remington, Winchester and Blazer) are all notorious for being weak. Standard velocity out of a 5" barrel for .45 acp is about 830-850 fps. I would gander those three brands are probably in the 750-800 range. I try to avoid them if at all possible. And I don't care what the box or their website says. Read the fine print. All cheap ammo will say somewhere, "Subject to change" or "Subject to variances." This is their get out of jail free card to manufacture weak ammo and save on powder, in turn maximizing profit. You can't blame a gun that won't run on ammo that is not even SAAMI spec. Try American Eagle, Speer Lawman, Sellier & Bellot or Fiocchi. Stay away from Winchester, Remington, Blazer, PMC and I am sure many more off brands that I won't even bother to gamble on.

Not saying ammo is the problem with the G36 in question, but it certainly isn't helping if the problem can't be duplicated with Corbon +P ammo.

A lot of American ammo is weak. Corporate greed rules the day. Glock made the mistake of redesigning their gen4's for real ammo and it has backfired. Most American range ammo is weak and a lot of new shooters buy Glocks. It's no wonder between the weak ammo and poor grip that a lot of guns are not generating enough energy to positively extract and eject consistently.
If a gun sold in the USA won't reliably fire American made range ammunition, then it is junk.

The G36 problems were discussed long and hard on this and other bulletin boards well before your time. It was not the Glock Red Herring called limp wristing that caused the problems. As a result I waited and waited until Oct 2010 to get mine. No issues so far, don't keep meticulous records about how many rounds downrange.
__________________
Richard

“Food for thought is no substitute for the real thing”
RichardB is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply


Tags
fte, ftf, g36, glock 36
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 21:04.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,386
401 Members
985 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42