Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:09   #1
SouthpawShooter
Rocker Glocker

My dad gave me his unit patch...

Question for you Army guys.

My dad gave me his unit patch from the Army circa 1969. I think it has a rather cool design, and sort of as a tribute to him, I was thinking about stitching it on my shooting bag.

Since I was never in the Army, I just want to know if you guys would think this is a lame move. I'm not trying to pose as a vet, and I think it would be obvious that it would have been impossible for me to have been in the army the year I was born! (I have the most awesome pic of my dad holding me as a baby in his uniform, as I was born right before he went into basic)

If anyone were to ask about it, I would obviously just tell them it was my dad's unit patch.

What is the general opinion on this?
SouthpawShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:34   #2
Taphius

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawShooter View Post

My dad gave me his unit patch from the Army circa 1969. I think it has a rather cool design, and sort of as a tribute to him, I was thinking about stitching it on my shooting bag.

Since I was never in the Army, I just want to know if you guys would think this is a lame move. I'm not trying to pose as a vet, and I think it would be obvious that it would have been impossible for me to have been in the army the year I was born! (I have the most awesome pic of my dad holding me as a baby in his uniform, as I was born right before he went into basic)

If anyone were to ask about it, I would obviously just tell them it was my dad's unit patch.

Usually the people who get upset with stuff like that have never worn such things. Id say do as you wish, especially since you'll be doing it tastefully.

Part of those pesky rights we defend and all

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk
Taphius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:03   #3
USMCSergeant

I think that's a great way to remember your dad and I seriously doubt anyone would have a problem with it. If they do tell them to piss off.
USMCSergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 17:01   #4
oneofthose

If it's the one your dad actually wore, you may want to display in a nice shadow box or something similar.

If you do a little research you could probably find a replica to sew to your range bag.

Whatever you decide, it's great that you're honoring your Father.
Old 02-13-2012, 17:13   #5
ancient_serpent

I, too, would get a replica and keep the original safe. I was in the military ten years and I think its a great idea.
No one in their right mind is going to be offended that you have that patch on your range bag. If they're that easily offended they need to get a hobby.
ancient_serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 18:53   #6
SouthpawShooter
Rocker Glocker

Thanks for the replies guys, and thanks for your service as well!

I have some of his other stuff, like his boots (which I actually wore as a teenager, they don't fit me anymore though), and some nametapes, and his awards/medals (nothing big, just basic ones like his rifle award that has an iron cross and says "rifle" under it, and others)

I guess I could do a shadow box, but knowing him, I don't think he'd like me making such a fuss. You'd have to know him to know what I mean.

At any rate, I just wanted to see what the general opinion is.

Thanks again.
SouthpawShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 19:03   #7
jerryd

what unit was he with ??? Can you post a pic of the patch???
jerryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 23:57   #8
Linh40

I see no problem with it. BTW that's a great idea.
Linh40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:59   #9
Fred Hansen
Liberal Bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofthose View Post
If it's the one your dad actually wore, you may want to display in a nice shadow box or something similar.

If you do a little research you could probably find a replica to sew to your range bag.

^^^^ This.

When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. - George Santayana
Fred Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:22   #10
Glockworks
Ready/Aim/Fire

Quote:

Retired USAF MSgt here (2001), and if my sons wanted to do what you described, outstanding for them. Anyone who says different, well tell them I said to "F... O.."

I think I made my opinion known?
Glockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 13:29   #11
Bren
NRA Life Member

Anybody who has actually been in the military would think that's just fine. But I agree that you might want to display it somewhere bettter than a shooting bag.

What patch is it?

Last edited by Bren; 02-28-2012 at 13:30..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 14:08   #12
PocketGlock

G'Day SouthPawShooter:

I'm a vet (USA - 69-73 / MOS: 91-C-20) and I have no objections to anyone wanting to honor their father in the manner you've chosen - placing his unit patch on your range bag.

Of course, I can't speak for other vets but seems to me that anyone who would object to what you're wanting to do may very well have some 'issues' - if you catch my meaning.

So, what unit did your father serve with (just curious)?

Cheers!
Old 02-29-2012, 14:24   #13
bulletandgrunt

Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys, and thanks for your service as well!

I have some of his other stuff, like his boots (which I actually wore as a teenager, they don't fit me anymore though), and some nametapes, and his awards/medals (nothing big, just basic ones like his rifle award that has an iron cross and says "rifle" under it, and others)

I guess I could do a shadow box, but knowing him, I don't think he'd like me making such a fuss. You'd have to know him to know what I mean.

At any rate, I just wanted to see what the general opinion is.

Thanks again.

I thought the same thing about my dad not appreciating a shadow box. His ex wife burned all of his medals and records he had. I sent off to St Louis in 1998 and got copies of everything. Mom and I never knew he recieved a Silver Star in the Korean War. Ordered all the medals and ribbons etc etc.... I build him a nice shadow box with a picture of him in it and his only remaining ID tag (dog tag) I gave it to him on his birthday, which is Nov 11th. He cried for a good 5 minutes. He had no idea I was doing it and was totally suprised. He asked how, and I told him almost a year of reserach and work. He was so happy and grateful. He had 22 months in the Korean War and 3 tours in Vietnam. I had everything that was lost when he divorced. 3 years later while I was in Bosnia, he passed away. I came home for the funeral which was the Day after Christmas 2001, my mom and I both were presented a flag graveside, she has hers still to this day under her matress where she sleeps so she can feel close to him, I put mine in a case and mounted it over his shadow box showing his completion of life and service.

Long story short, I think your dad would appreciate it more than you think. I know when the day comes that my kids want to do mine I certainly will.
bulletandgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 14:32   #14
alexanderg23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletandgrunt View Post
I thought the same thing about my dad not appreciating a shadow box. His ex wife burned all of his medals and records he had. I sent off to St Louis in 1998 and got copies of everything. Mom and I never knew he recieved a Silver Star in the Korean War. Ordered all the medals and ribbons etc etc.... I build him a nice shadow box with a picture of him in it and his only remaining ID tag (dog tag) I gave it to him on his birthday, which is Nov 11th. He cried for a good 5 minutes. He had no idea I was doing it and was totally suprised. He asked how, and I told him almost a year of reserach and work. He was so happy and grateful. He had 22 months in the Korean War and 3 tours in Vietnam. I had everything that was lost when he divorced. 3 years later while I was in Bosnia, he passed away. I came home for the funeral which was the Day after Christmas 2001, my mom and I both were presented a flag graveside, she has hers still to this day under her matress where she sleeps so she can feel close to him, I put mine in a case and mounted it over his shadow box showing his completion of life and service.

Long story short, I think your dad would appreciate it more than you think. I know when the day comes that my kids want to do mine I certainly will.

dang it, I got something in my eye.
Old 02-29-2012, 15:00   #15
Mongosafari
El diablo verde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Anybody who has actually been in the military would think that's just fine. But I agree that you might want to display it somewhere bettter than a shooting bag.

What patch is it?
I have to agree with the others that a shadow box might make a more fitting tribute than his patch sewn to your range bag.
Old 02-29-2012, 15:09   #16
Fred Hansen
Liberal Bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletandgrunt View Post

When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. - George Santayana
Fred Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 22:09   #17
Army66
USA (Ret)

As a Vietnam vet and a 20 year vet, 1966-1986 I see nothng wrong with it at all. And if you son or grandson who is now in BCT wanted any of my patches I would be proud give them to them.
Old 03-04-2012, 13:42   #18
ca survivor

another idea is to frame it.
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 15:24   #19
ArtyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofthose View Post

Good recommendation! Plenty of places can replicate the patch and the shadow box, or similar idea, is also a great idea.

You might also want to have some script added above or below the patch to further recognize your dad's service. Maybe his name/rank and the years he served.
Old 03-06-2012, 15:35   #20
oldsoldier

What is the unit or post a picture of the patch. The unit may still be active, reserve, or national guard and it won't be hard to get another patch. Patches of deactivated units aren't all that hard to find either. Many people collect and trade them. Do an internet search.
oldsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote