Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:37   #1
GKC1

Lee Child/Jack Reacher

Does anyone else here read Lee Child's books, with Jack Reacher being the main character? I just read where "One Shot" is going to be made into a movie. Now, Jack Reacher has been described in every book as being VERY big, like 6'5", with long arms and hands like hams...so, who do they get to star in the film? TOM CRUISE!
GKC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 20:52   #2
skorittnig

Reacher novels are great. I alternate between lee child and Vince Flynn.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."
Niccolo Machiavelli
skorittnig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 16:38   #3
Glock26girl
G26, G19

I've read all of them and hope that they find someone who fits the Reacher description to play him in the movies. I personally, would be very disappointed with Tom Cruise playing him. Though I like Tom Cruise a lot in other roles.

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."- George Orwell
Glock26girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 15:27   #4
NorseHammer

Just read this and am shocked. Tom Cruise to play the part? C'mon. By the way, I just read a short story available from Amazon (I got it on my Kindle) with Barry Eisler's, Lee Child's, and another author's characters receive sex therapy (wanted or not). Great little short stories, and a hoot to read. Can't recall the author or the name at the moment but search on Amazon and you'll find it. Neat backstory on how the author (who has her own series) thought up the idea and presented it to Eisler, Child and the other.

NorseHammer
NorseHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 18:45   #5
TKM
Lifetime Membership
Shiny Member

Lee Child clearly had no other choice. Herve Villachaize having passed on and all.
TKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:53   #6
Undersiege1

I like Lee Child. Also Vince Fynn and Brad Thor.
Undersiege1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 21:57   #7
Nanuk

Read em all, Reacher is da man.....

Tom Selleck would be a better choice, size and attitude he has.
Nanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 17:47   #8
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

I love the books, as well as the other authors mentioned.

I too was shocked to learn that they got a crazy ****** bag midget to play Reacher.
Much like I was shocked and pissed off that they got marky mark to play Bob the Nailor.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787

Last edited by Jason D; 02-23-2012 at 17:52..
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 18:05   #9
NorseHammer

Jason D, I am definitely agreed on your remark about Marky Mark playing Bob the Nailer. Not exactly who I had in mind either.

That's the problem, isn't it? Read the books and get a picture in your mind what the character looks like, regardless of whether it may be different from what someone else thinks. Watch the movie and it rarely, if ever, does the book justice.

EricO
NorseHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 20:14   #10
GKC1

It's one thing if the character is not really described in the book...but Jack Reacher is very well described in each novel, and he is a very large man. Tom Cruise is not. I don't see how he can play a character whose physical attributes are such a part of the story.

Of course, with Hollywood, anything is possible. Look at Michael Clark Duncan in "The Green Mile" for example. Yes, he is very well built, but he is not as humongous as he appears in the Mile...he was probably standing on a box for the entire filming.

I just think that Cruise will detract from the movie, at least for me. Surely there were other actors who could have been a better physical match.
GKC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:16   #11
Fastbear

The Rock has the build for Jack Reacher. Lee Child writes novels you have difficulty putting down at night.
Fastbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:06   #12
Jack23
I. B. Glockin'

Well I never got so excited and then turned around and got so disappointed so quickly in my life. I have read every word Lee Child has ever published, Every book he has ever written would be a great movie.

When I read the OP where one of them was going to be a movie I nearly went out to the back yard and did back-flips. And then to learn that Tom Cruise is in the lead roll?!?! That doesn't offer a lot of hope for the quality of the movie. They went for the big name/big box office instead of trying to find an actor that could make Jack Reacher come to life. Tom Cruise is nothing but smile and a haircut! In all his action flicks he is totally mechanical with no human qualities what-so-ever. Not only because of the physical differences but just as much because he could never capture the essence of Jack Reacher. I couldn't think of a worse choice. In all his action stuff a robot would do just as well as a live actor.

There may not be anyone around that is 6'5" and weighs 250 but there MUST be better actors for cryin' out loud. Too bad Clint Eastwood is so long in the tooth. He could bring that hard edge and inner toughness to the part just fine. I see Tom Cruise I think of a spoiled brat that never worked a day in his life. Soft through and through and was totally devoid of any discernable amount of these or other traits to demonstrate toughness.

Oh, I'll see the movie. I think of another movie where the character from the book was a big man and played in the movie by a small man and totally captured every quality needed to steel not only the part and make it his own but he stole the movie as well. Yep I'm talkin' about Robert Duvall as Augustus McRay in Lonesome Dove. So maybe there is one chance in a thousand that Cruise can pull this off but I'll have to see it to believe it.

I gotta go lie down. Sigh..................
G-17, G-23, G-21, G-36, Ruger blackhawk, ss, Ruger 10/22, Ruger Mark II, Ruger SP101, British Webley MKI .455, Kel-Tec P32, S&W top break .38, S&W 24-3 .44spl N frame Colt 1903 .32, Heritage .22 Combo, Colt AR-15, LE6920.

Last edited by Jack23; 02-29-2012 at 14:54..
Jack23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 20:47   #13
TKM
Lifetime Membership
Shiny Member

Dredging this one back to the surface with an idea.

Trace Adkins?

TKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:36   #14
SC Tiger
Some say...

Or Toby Keith (though he might be kind of hard to take seriously after "Beer for my Horses")

Or there's always Ahnuld.

Last edited by SC Tiger; 03-05-2012 at 11:37..
SC Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote