GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:50   #26
ScottieG59

This sort of thing probably happens more that is discovered. I remember my father having a gun cabinet, but we were all trained on firearm use and would never think of taking one to school. I am less trusting of my kids. Only I have access to my gun safes and there is nothing hidden around the house to allow anyone entry, such as keys or written combos.

I even have two secured safes in my vehicle for when I cannot carry into a facility.

It is too easy for the wrong person to get your guns if they are not secured. It may not be the son taking it to school; it can be a burglar shooting you with your own gun as you get home.
ScottieG59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 23:31   #27
Mister_Beefy
Legal & Proper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnut 45/454 View Post
Mister_Beefy
Unfortunately Mass. has destroy laws- any firearms confiscated by the LEO's are destroyed. He'll not see those guns again. Without compensation either!

well, were it me in that situation all bets would be off.
Mister_Beefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:10   #28
pmcjury

Quote:
The police chief said the boys three friends that he told about the weapon could face charges as well.
Is it really a crime not to be a snitch? I understand it is if the police ask you, and you lie in an attempt to cover for your friend, not offering the information up gets you in trouble?
pmcjury is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:01   #29
Zeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbluegrass View Post
I was a little curious about the guns but I always knew without being told that it would been the end of my life had I touched any of the guns without my dad present.

Hokies do tend to be mature and exercise sound judgement at a young age but you can't depend on all kids to be that smart.

All my guns are kept in a quality safe and only I have the combination. My home defense pistol is in a small quick access safe - again only I have the combination. That said, as soon as my kid's hands were big enough to hold a pistol I began taking them to the range to understand what firearms are all about, how to safely handle them, and to satisfy their curiosity. My guns are not accessible to them at home, but I can't be sure about their friend's house....

Go Hokies!

The Dalai Lama: "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Last edited by Zeker; 02-28-2012 at 06:03..
Zeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:09   #30
dabigguns357

And this is why my guns stay locked in safes,Closet that safes are in stays locked and my bedroom where the closet stays locked.At night when i sleep, lock the bedroom door behind us but thats more for personal reasons.

The only gun i have out is on my hip.
dabigguns357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:37   #31
hamster
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneyBooney View Post
Everyone knows kids can get into anything. Taking the dad's permit is really not right. The kid didn't even have bullets. This will be interesting to watch and see what happens.
Depends. If Dad is one of those who never locks the gun Cabinet because "he has trained his kids never to touch the guns without permission." The he IS responsible IMO.

If he had a reasonably strong cabinet with a proper locking mechanism and the kid somehow bypassed it then I'd probably not yank his license.
hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:39   #32
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Beefy View Post
well, were it me in that situation all bets would be off.
What do you mean, "all bets would be off?"

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:57   #33
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeBadOne View Post
http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/l...t-falmouth-hs/

The police chief said the boys three friends that he told about the weapon could face charges as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcjury View Post
Is it really a crime not to be a snitch? I understand it is if the police ask you, and you lie in an attempt to cover for your friend, not offering the information up gets you in trouble?
Do you know that those charges would be for not snitching?

Do you believe children should be taught not to tell authorities when someone violates rules and/or laws?

Old 02-28-2012, 07:58   #34
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeker View Post
Hokies do tend to be mature and exercise sound judgement at a young age but you can't depend on all kids to be that smart.

Go Hokies!
Amen!!

Old 02-28-2012, 09:01   #35
BrewerGeorge

Don't live in MA!
BrewerGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:59   #36
SigFTW

When I was in middle school I was sent to a alternative school class (like detention) for 3 days because of fighting (more like self-defense). The kid sitting next to me was there because of bring a gun to school and another one was there because of bring a knife. The whole time I was there I keep muddering to my self, "I don't belong here" "I don't belong here!!".

How times have changed.

It would be interested to see if the father gets his guns or CHL back.
Old 03-17-2012, 20:18   #37
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Police charging 3rd Falmouth student in handgun case

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/re...osition=recent
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 21:10   #38
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeBadOne View Post
Police charging 3rd Falmouth student in handgun case

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/re...osition=recent
Maybe the kids can say they didn't know it was a gun.

How would they know? It is a thought crime to even draw a picture of a gun in school. The guns have been banned, teaching about guns has been banned, books about guns have been banned. Seems a solid defense. Heck, for all they know, they didn't hold a gun.
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:50   #39
Sbh87
Handgunner

OK since this has to do with MA I figured I would chime in. The father is done. Will never get the permit back and will never get the guns back. In MA the chief of police has the power to decide suitability. There is no legal definition for it, it's just the chiefs own opinion of you as a person. Even if he is never convicted of allowing his kid access to the gun, the chief can find him unstable to own firearms and thus deny his license to carry (LTC).

There are ways if you screw up to get your LTC back and that is if you were convicted of something (not firearms related and not otherwise a disqualification for firearms ownership) you have to wait 5 years after your release from prison or probation or parole AND it can't be firearms related. A conviction of something firearms related in MA is automatic disqualification of your 2nd amendment for life. Now if you are charged but never convicted of something firearms related legally you can still own firearms because one was never convicted but as you read in my first paragraph if it's firearms related the chief will play the suitability card.

Now if he is not convicted but is denied based on suitability he can appeal to the district court in the area that he lives. If he is eventually denied his LTC based on being convicted for allowing access to the firearms he can't appeal to district court or the firearms record bureau. The below image is the letter from the Firearms Records Bureau to anyone wishing (and I do mean wishing) for their LTC back.

Carry Issues

So even after doing the petition (if he can) and the FRB finds him suitable they can only make the recommendation that he is suitable and this final decision still lies with the Chief. So if the Chief does in fact find him not suitable after a petition (if he can petition) then he goes on to the district court in his area.

Last edited by Sbh87; 03-18-2012 at 01:55..
Sbh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:00   #40
Sbh87
Handgunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnut 45/454 View Post
Mister_Beefy
Unfortunately Mass. has destroy laws- any firearms confiscated by the LEO's are destroyed. He'll not see those guns again. Without compensation either!
That is 100% false. They have to wait until a conviction and even if someone is convicted of something they may have the chance to own again (see above post). Also if the convicted can't have them back more times than not they are transferred to someone who has a valid LTC and will most likely be chosen by the person who had them confiscated. I've known someone who went though a suspension for something stupid and a lot less serious than what happened in Falmouth and everything was eventually returned not destroyed. It takes years before anything can legally be destroyed.

Last edited by Sbh87; 03-18-2012 at 02:10..
Old 03-18-2012, 02:02   #41
Sbh87
Handgunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Beefy View Post
If it's found that the kid broke into the cabinet, I don't see how the government will be able to justify the continued revocation of the father's permit and the confiscation of his property.

so, he'll probably get everything back. (in about six years and after spending tens of thousands of dollars on legal fees)

this is a prime example of why registration of any kind is bad.
Yes registration is bad. And yes they absolutely can justify continued revocation. If convicted there is 0.00% chance he will get it back. If not convicted and denied based on suitability he can appeal to district court for the area he lives in and in the rare event they find him suitable he MIGHT get his LTC back. Even after a district court petition he may still be denied. These steps have happened will continue to happen and there is a 100% chance people will still be denied. This is MA, freedom started and ended here.

Last edited by Sbh87; 03-18-2012 at 02:13..
Old 03-18-2012, 12:37   #42
LongGoneDays
Misanthropical

its precautionary to make sure that we suspend and also take into custody all of those weapons, said Chief Anthony Riello, Falmouth Police Department.

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

I especially like the part at the bottom where the other 3 yuits are being charged as well
LongGoneDays is offline   Reply With Quote