GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-25-2012, 13:08   #1
Aceman

Would you take others food at gun point?

Before you answer:

At some point, everything runs out. Your stored food has been eaten - whether it was a week, a month, a year...you could run out. Your "sustainable" food isn't sustainable; bad weather, contamination, over hunting/growing, migration, disease, etc. It becomes unsustainable at some point?

Would you?

I was thinking about this as I reflected on some relatives little fresh garden plot in the middle of Seattle. I'm sure they feel it's a great supply in case something goes wrong. I'm also sure there are some far less friendly people that will gladly remove them of the goods when the time comes.

And then it struck me - for the unprepared, it will come in 3-7 days. For the minor preppers, a couple weeks or months. And for the rest, no matter what you do, it can happen. And at some point, likely would.

I know we all frown up and loathe the concept of banditry. But when it is you/your kids or someone else's - would you / could you use force to survive when it all runs out?
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 13:41   #2
LarryD1130

I'm sure if things do get that bad; people will do whatever is necessary to survive. It's a human instinct.

Last edited by LarryD1130; 02-25-2012 at 13:41..
LarryD1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 13:58   #3
RED64CJ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
I know we all frown up and loathe the concept of banditry. But when it is you/your kids or someone else's - would you / could you use force to survive when it all runs out?
Could I? Yes. I think anyone who says they couldn't is a liar.

Would I? That's what I don't know. I'd like to think that my reliance on God to fulfill my needs would not send me down that path. Instead of relying on one's self, the kind of situation you describe dictates a strong faith for survival.
RED64CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 14:08   #4
USMCsilver
Bolt Life©

Send a message via AIM to USMCsilver Send a message via Yahoo to USMCsilver
I'd do it without hesitation. I hate people, in general, and if it'll keep my family alive, then I really don't think that I'd have a problem with it.

Hopefully it'll never come to anything like that.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

"Kiss my ass, I bought a boat! I'm goin' out to sea..." (Jimmy Buffett covering Lovett)
USMCsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 14:11   #5
Spiffums
I.C.P.

Depends on how hungry I am/ the kids are and if I think I can take them. After a certain point all the good intentions and moral right and wrong go out the window. That is why people survived the Donner party.
Old 02-25-2012, 14:19   #6
arclight610

Why begin when you run out? Preparedness means taking before you run out.
arclight610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 14:21   #7
Dexters

Quote:
In these hypothetical situations require more then one variable change.

Let's say due to a national problem, grocery stores are having delivery disruptions. The store places limits on purchases and people follow the rules and people are treated equally. No problem.

Same as above but everyone some get more then others, some steal, and there then is a run on the stores. We have a problem.

Same with your hypothetical situation. If, someone has food and the people around there follow the law; there most likely will not be a problem or the problem would be manageable.

The person owning such plot such as you describe in an emergency would be wise to harvest it and replant. But they should not expect too much return in a SHTF situation due to insects and animal population growth over the medium term. And if people are stealing their food the farmers are exposing themselves to desperate people.

The idea of this situation, children hungry etc has been discussed before. Some did say they would take what was needed to feed their children if they were starving. If it got to that point I wonder who would be around to steal from and if they were around would the person know it.

In a way the above does not make sense for the people here - they are preppers. So, if their food has run out who will they get food from - other better prepared preppers - people trying not to be found with food, guns ammo and the knowledge to use them? Let's see them go up against LG1 and his friends.

I think many here are of the mind to lay low and the gray man concept in an emergency.

Last edited by Dexters; 02-25-2012 at 14:36..
Dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 14:36   #8
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED64CJ5 View Post
Could I? Yes. I think anyone who says they couldn't is a liar.
I don't.

There is more to life than survival. Many people dont feel that way, I know. If you dont feel that way, it is hard to imagine that others wouldnt feel the same as you... maybe that is a way people rationalize their immoral behavior.

Am I saying that I am above it? I would hope so, but I wouldnt ever know unless I was in that situation. However, I know for a fact that there are people out there that would sooner die than to kill (whether you shoot them or take the last of their food, you are still killing them) another person.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 15:14   #9
jdavionic
NRA Member

No...stealing is stealing, whether there's a cop on the corner or not.

I would take food off anyone that attempted to harm my family or me. I'd take everything of any value off them - shoes, socks, guns, knives, ammo, food, water, etc.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 16:38   #10
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

If the event was so bad that we run outta stores this world ain't worth saving.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 16:53   #11
NMG26

If they are not an enemy I am not going to point a gun at them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
NMG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 16:57   #12
Syclone538

I have no children, and am currently single. If it's just me, no I would not, with the possible exception of having just seen the people with the food commit murder to steal it themselves.

Put a wife and kids into the mix, and I do not know.

Quote:
The constitution is not, nor was it meant to be absolutely literal.
Syclone538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 17:08   #13
AA#5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMTactical View Post
I don't.

There is more to life than survival. Many people dont feel that way, I know. If you dont feel that way, it is hard to imagine that others wouldnt feel the same as you... maybe that is a way people rationalize their immoral behavior.

Am I saying that I am above it? I would hope so, but I wouldnt ever know unless I was in that situation. However, I know for a fact that there are people out there that would sooner die than to kill (whether you shoot them or take the last of their food, you are still killing them) another person.
"that is a way people rationalize their immoral behavior."

Bingo! That's an x-ring hit. People find it much easier to do the wrong thing when they convince themselves that everyone would do it.
AA#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 17:29   #14
Dexters

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA#5 View Post
"that is a way people rationalize their immoral behavior."

Bingo! That's an x-ring hit. People find it much easier to do the wrong thing when they convince themselves that everyone would do it.
+1
That is what I was trying to say.
Old 02-25-2012, 18:00   #15
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

You so much as look at my sandwich funny and its on...
G29Reload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 18:09   #16
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"

Quote:
Before you answer:

At some point, everything runs out. Your stored food has been eaten - whether it was a week, a month, a year...you could run out. Your "sustainable" food isn't sustainable; bad weather, contamination, over hunting/growing, migration, disease, etc. It becomes unsustainable at some point?

Would you?

I was thinking about this as I reflected on some relatives little fresh garden plot in the middle of Seattle. I'm sure they feel it's a great supply in case something goes wrong. I'm also sure there are some far less friendly people that will gladly remove them of the goods when the time comes.

And then it struck me - for the unprepared, it will come in 3-7 days. For the minor preppers, a couple weeks or months. And for the rest, no matter what you do, it can happen. And at some point, likely would.

Depends. From liberals and statists, yes.
Ruble Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 18:16   #17
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Yes. There are circumstances where I can completely agree, and understand doing so.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 18:29   #18
inzone

NO, not worth losing your immortal soul over....just save your last bullet for yourself and die with dignity rather than becoming a predator...... but use this as a lesson to prep in earnest now.....I think I have enough beans, rice, pasta and crisco and other supplies to feed my family for at least a couple years...after that, well.... we go to be with the Lord......
inzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 18:30   #19
Glock30Eric
.45 ACP

I don't know. I dont think I'll rob for a food. I'll do my best to find a food to eat. I'll eat bugs, worms, plants, bones, and maybe grass with whatever. I know it will be very nasty but at least I'll survive.

If I had to rob for a food then they will never forget my face. They will try everything to take a revenge. They will also spread the word of mouth in a community that I have robbed him and that's far worse than robbing for just food to survive.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Glock30Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 18:31   #20
michael e

No one can truely say how they would handle it until in that situation.
michael e is offline   Reply With Quote