SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:59   #1
The Habit
كافر

Who shoots IDPA with a G27?

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right spot or not but, here goes...

I'm going to start shooting IDPA matches and will be using my EDC gear; bone stock G27 in a Glock sport/combat holster.

Upon reading the IDPA rule book, the ammunition rules talk about the SSP class needing to meet an ammunition power floor of 125,000 (bullet weight x muzzle velocity).

It goes on to recommend chrono'ing three rounds at 10 ft to ensure the ammo meets the required PF. I don't have a chrono but figured I could just rely on the published factory load specs(?). For example, Blazer Brass 180gr would be 180 x 985 = 177300. No barrel length is listed for those specs but I have to assume the short G27 barrel wouldn't deviate enough to make much of a difference.

Based on this, I'm going to assume that most factory FMJ is going to meet the PF requirement. For those that do shoot IDPA with a G27 and use factory ammo, what are you using?

(I'd like to use my carry ammo but don't want to go broke shooting matches)
The Habit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:13   #2
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

First of all, your factory .40 ammo is going to WELL make power factor. Most .40 ammo will make USPSA major, even out of the short barrel or close to it, which is 165 (or 165,000 to use IDPA calculations). 125,000 is a breeze.

I don't typically shoot my G27 in IDPA, but do on occasion when the match offers a second time through. I prefer my G35 with downloaded ammo. That being said, when I do shoot the G27 I do use real carry gear and standard power ammo.
BuckyP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:21   #3
jcbarlow
Glock 27

That's a good question. I'd like to hear other's responses as well. I have shot in a few "fun shoots" and taken a 3-day defensive pistol with my glock 27, but no IDPA experience.
jcbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:45   #4
Spiffums
I.C.P.

Your good to go in IDPA. You can carry a max of 10 rounds in the magazine and start with 10+1. I'm not sure what capacity the 40s have but I know the 9s have 10 rounds. You might want to see about getting mag extensions after you shoot a few times.

Most people shoot 9mm around here in SSP and ESP. If you have a stippled grip your in ESP by the way. It's great fun and you have to do a little thinking to get thru a stage.

Good Luck and Have fun!
Old 02-24-2012, 09:24   #5
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Habit View Post
Not sure if I'm posting this in the right spot or not but, here goes...

I'm going to start shooting IDPA matches and will be using my EDC gear; bone stock G27 in a Glock sport/combat holster.

Upon reading the IDPA rule book, the ammunition rules talk about the SSP class needing to meet an ammunition power floor of 125,000 (bullet weight x muzzle velocity).
I have shot IDPA and GSSF with a 27. Works just fine.

Any factory ammo you can find meets the power floor for SSP. Don't worry about it. Also, local matches rarely chrono rounds - even majors often don't unless yours don't sound right or don't knock down the steel.

125,000 PF means a 155 gr. .40 has to travel just over 800 fps and a 180 gr. has to travel 694 fps. I don't think anybody make a factory .40 S&W round that slow.

Local matches are more concerned with your holster, ammo pouch, position on your belt, gun modifications, etc.

Last edited by Bren; 02-24-2012 at 09:26..
Bren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:31   #6
Radian

You are good to go with 40. Try to find the WEAKEST slowest 40 you can. Lots of guys reload it down to just barely make power.

Few things you want for your first match.

minimum 2 Spare magazines, g22 or 23 mags will be easier to handle in reloads. Bring more mags if you can.
minimum 2 magazine carriers.
GOOD BELT, wilderness makes a nice instructors belt to be sure you holster is stable.
Comfortable shoes, lots of folks wear tactical boots, I find cross trainers or tennis shoes better for MOST places.

Cover garment, anything from a Hawaiian shirt to the "tactical vest"
hat
safety glasses
hearing protection
long pants, kneeling on brass sucks.

150 rounds (you will want follow up shot option). at LEAST 50 rounds more than the stages require.

Realistic attitude: Show up early, let the folks know you are new so they can get you on the right squad.
You WILL probably get gigged for penalties, don't sweat it, just be slow and safe.
Ignore the timer, concentrate on your muzzle and which way is downrange / safe.

Have FUN. IDPA is a great opportunity to learn and improve your shooting. It's just a game but you meet quality people.

RULES:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...uPy7EA&cad=rja
Old 03-04-2012, 14:39   #7
Landric
Supervisor?

Send a message via AIM to Landric
I shot a local IDPA match yesterday with my G26 using my standard carry IWB holster and carrying the spare magazines in the pocket of my vest. I generally don't wear a spare magazine when actually carrying off-duty, I tend to just drop one in my pocket, so it made sense to do it that way. My G26 is totally stock except for night sights and a smooth trigger from a G17. Since it is a carry gun I don't have a lighter connector installed.

I didn't do half bad considering, but since I was shooting in ESP Sharpshooter, I didn't win or anything. I did much better at the rifle side match afterward, 4th overall.

Thanks to my very busy schedule this was my first match in the last year, and I had forgotten how much fun IDPA is. I need to make more time for shooting.

I don't see any reason not to shoot a match with a G27, especially if that is your carry gun. I made (and need to make again) a habit of shooting the BUG matches held every couple of months locally with a SP101 (my other regular carry gun) loaded with full-power .357 Magnum ammunition.
Mon: Do you carry chambered?, Tue: Can a cop write a ticket without his hat?, Wed: Should I carry a spare mag?, Thurs: I got stopped without "probably cause"., Fri: Will there be a Glock Carbine?, Sat: Why the GAP hate?, Sun: I hate the GAP.
Landric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:30   #8
irishman001

Just shot a match yesterday with my g27. I do use the g23 mags for the extra rounds for the first mag (10+1). I was very competitive to everyone else shooting the bigger guns, definitely didn't win but still did very well. Just GT out there and have fun, it is great practice and the add stress of people watching helps keep you on your toes.
irishman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:55   #9
ron59
Bustin Caps

I think the biggest difficulty in shooting with any Glock subcompact (the 26/27 sizes) is reloads.

With my G26, I can *usually* avoid pinching my hand, but when I do! Game over man. I carry a G26, but I won't use it in a match.

Quote:
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:28   #10
Flexmoney

I don't have a G27, but I have shot my G26 in a fair number of matches. Often, I shoot it out of the Glock Sports Holster (that I normally carry it in).

It shoots great. The gun handling can be a challenge. I haven't pinched myself on a reload, but have shifted grip enough on reloads that it messed up my interaction with the gun (read: I pulled the gun off target while working the trigger = miss )

If you carry it...shoot it. I've run mine in USPSA, Steel Challenge, and a rouge match or two.
Flexmoney is offline   Reply With Quote