Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:22   #26
LApm9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxGlock9 View Post
You got that damn right.
"A soft answer turneth away wrath." That could also be an opportunity make a teachable moment, beginning with "Hi miss. Is this your first visit here?"

In this political world, it is best if we can convince as many newbies as possible comfortable with us gun-lovers.

If they are resistant to safety training, then call in the RSO.
LApm9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 15:59   #27
TxGlock9
2014 RACE TIME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LApm9 View Post
"A soft answer turneth away wrath." That could also be an opportunity make a teachable moment, beginning with "Hi miss. Is this your first visit here?"

In this political world, it is best if we can convince as many newbies as possible comfortable with us gun-lovers.

If they are resistant to safety training, then call in the RSO.
That's true but it would piss me off if someone still did that to me. Of course that doesn't give me the right to lash out at them. I know.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:27   #28
ScottieG59

I used to go to a range when I lived in a resort area. It was during a time when many New Workers would buy vacation homes and pretend they lived there. For many, it meant they could buy guns and play cowboy.

Eventually, the range I visited was frequented by these weekenders. Many had no idea on how guns operated and would try to guess at the range. Many times, I would remind these people to keep their weapons aimed down range.. that is where the targets are.

The last time I went to the range, several vacationers were trying to figure out how to load and operate their automatic. One of the guys held the gun sideways, and tried to slowly pull the slide back and slowly ease it forward, with fingers all over the trigger area. Though the gun was aimed right at me, I simply moved out of his line of fire and reminded the group about what gun safety meant. I actually remained calm, but I never went back to a public range for years. Instead, I practiced on private property.

I live in Kansas now and go to a range in Missouri. It is state run and range control is extremely tight. The shooting positions make it tough to shoot other shooters and no rapid fire is permitted. Additionally, it is all regimented and controlled. I like it for basic marksmanship and it is very inexpensive. The place gets very crowded when the weather is nice and all sorts of people show up. So far, I have not seen anything unsafe there. If you are in the KC area, it is Parma Woods.

Lately, I have been looking for a place where some combat tactics can be practiced. Finding something at a reasonable cost would be nice. Though I can legally shoot on my property, I prefer not to alarm neighbors who are not far away.

Another issue I face is that I do not have a great deal of free time, with a house full of kids. I prefer not to have a long drive to the range, only to find it packed full with a waiting line. I guess the crowds come along with the large numbers supporing the 2nd amendment.
ScottieG59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:14   #29
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

My last trip to a public range before joining my club was a bit tense.

Guy with a new Beretta Storm kept loading it by turning it sideways - pointing it right at me and racking the slide repeatedly, with his finger in the trigger guard.

He was having some trouble figuring it out. I helped him with that and gently coached him to keep it pointed "thataway" at all times.

Then he proceeds to shoot at rocks and crap on the ground about 10 feet out from the line. WTF? I packed up my stuff, called a cease fire and hung up some paper for him on the target boards. His girlfriend said "This is his first pistol..." Really?

Thankfully at my private club I haven't encountered too much nonsense. I rarely use the indoor pistol range. I prefer the outdoor range where the firing pits are separated from each other by concrete walls.

Honestly, and I know it will never happen, I wish basic gun safety / air rifle class or something was a part of every high school gym curriculum for a couple of weeks.

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.

Last edited by HKLovingIT; 02-20-2012 at 10:15..
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:21   #30
AA#5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
No one would get away with covering me with their muzzle without a severe tongue lashing! If they were the guest of a more experienced person, that individual would also be the recipient of my stern advice.
A "severe tongue lashing" does not get your point across & teaches them nothing. It only distracts by putting people in a defensive mode & they don't really hear what you're saying.
AA#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:55   #31
Rumbler_G20

IF it appears due to simple unfamiliarity the first time I may have something nice to say.

The second time, point out firmly but calmly that pointing a weapon at someone is often considered a direct threat to life.

The third time is a charm. I've found an elixir that leaves an indelible impression and stops future violations cold.

It is whatever that stuff is that leaves a black .45 caliber ring on the tip of their nose once I have screwed my 1911 on it.
Rumbler_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:14   #32
YtownGlock
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA#5 View Post
A "severe tongue lashing" does not get your point across & teaches them nothing. It only distracts by putting people in a defensive mode & they don't really hear what you're saying.
I have to agree, the last thing you ever want to do is yell at someone who is holding a firearm and putting even more stress and pressure on them than there already is, especially if it is their first time.

When I went through the police academy, nothing bad happened, but if something were to happen, someone would yell Code Red and the instructor would walk over, have the person who is being unsafe unload and hand their weapon over and be asked to leave.

The only time we got a sever tongue lashing is when we were all sitting down, guns unloaded and holstered, and one of the instructors chewed us all out for a mistake one person in our group made earlier.

Last edited by YtownGlock; 02-20-2012 at 12:16..
YtownGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:58   #33
100MMFan

There are a lot of gun owners out there who have never had proper firearm training. I'd even say the majority. You can only get it from a good civilian class, hunting or shooting with a parent or grandparent who can kick your ass, or professional police/military trainers who will kya. A lot of gun accidents happen just from not knowing what can always happen with carelessness.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
100MMFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 15:28   #34
Rumbler_G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100MMFan View Post
There are a lot of gun owners out there who have never had proper firearm training. I'd even say the majority. You can only get it from a good civilian class, hunting or shooting with a parent or grandparent who can kick your ass, or professional police/military trainers who will kya. A lot of gun accidents happen just from not knowing what can always happen with carelessness.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

I think that the $64 question is: "And who's problem should that be?"

The threat, or the one being threatened?

Seems pretty obvious in those simple terms doesn't it? Makes me wonder what those "have a nice sweet gentle talk with them - it is not their fault they are ignorant" folks are smoking.

. . hopefully it is something that makes them highly bullet resistant.
Rumbler_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 23:32   #35
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

Perfect...

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 20:38   #36
Deaf Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by YtownGlock View Post
It took every bit of me not to flip out on her and her friends for improper firearm and range safety.

Anyone else feel the same way?
And what will you feel if next month you read in the paper where these fools accidentally kill some kid on that range?

Look, you don't have to flip out but you can give them a serious talking to.

I would.

Deaf
Old 02-24-2012, 12:55   #37
YtownGlock
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf Smith View Post
And what will you feel if next month you read in the paper where these fools accidentally kill some kid on that range?

Look, you don't have to flip out but you can give them a serious talking to.

I would.

Deaf
To be honest, I wouldn't feel anything. Most times I try to tell people how to do something right because they were doing it wrong or unsafely they just tell me to go F%$K myself or just F%^K off. It seems every time I am presented with the opportunity to have a "serious talking to" with someone it ends being that person who is the "No, I'm always right, everyone else is wrong" type. So I just don't bother anymore.

I used to have a job in high school and in my early years in college that required me to correct people's mistakes and behavior in the name of safety. After almost 4 years I resigned. And when asked why I did it I replied, "I got tired of coming up with impossible solutions to problems created by other *******ing people."
Old 02-25-2012, 05:34   #38
vram74

You should've performed several mag dumps downrange while cussing as loud as possible. Probably would've spooked them enough to leave.
vram74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 22:05   #39
The_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedo1 View Post
Public ranges can be scary. Private ones can be too.

A few weeks ago I was finsihed shooting and leaving a club range and a guy with a blackpowder rifle was standing in front of my car with his rifle pointing 180 deg from the target and directly at my car. I asked him what he was doing and he said he had a misfire and was trying to clear it. I told him not to point it at my car, he then started pointing it at me. I circled away and the idiot tracked me with his rifle under his arm. I yelled at him to stop pointing it at me. He responded "it won't fire I'm having a problem with it".

I went full Gunny on him and explained why he was an idiot and told him to leave his rifle on the table until he couldn't see my car leaving the club any longer. Honestly I was about a second away from disarming him.
Yeah this guy should be banned from the range for at least a year. If someone repeatedly points a gun at me after I've warned them not to I'd probably point one back.
The_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 22:44   #40
jprj

Send a message via Yahoo to jprj

The knowing everything and doing nothing, leave the range and report it to their management.
jprj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:39   #41
B.Reid

Quote:
A month or so ago on a Thursday night at my local indoor shooting range, I was testing out some new defense ammo I recently purchased (Federal HST 165gr and Speer GD 165gr). I got to the range and it was PACKED. When I got inside there were 4 guys that had decided to bring their girlfriends to the range.

After shooting my first series of mags I holster my weapon and picked up my mags off the floor. I walked back to the bench behind me to grab another box of ammo. As i was loading up my mags one of the girls turned away from the stall and as she turned she covered me with the muzzle of the gun. She was roughly 10 feet away from me. I stopped loading my mags and closed my eyes. It took every bit of me not to flip out on her and her friends for improper firearm and range safety.

I figured it was her first time so I did not want to make a scene. I finished loading my mags and fired through my second series. I holstered my weapon, picked up my mags and went on to load them again. This time, a different girl did the same exact thing as the girl before her. I was so enraged that I completely lost my train of thought and screwed up on my next series.

What made matters worse was that over the sound of gunfire and even with my ear protection on, I could hear them fooling around and laughing.

This was my worst night at the range ever. I hate it when guys bring their inexperienced girlfriends/wives/etc to the range and all they end up doing is screwing around and trying to impress them.

Even you were a newbee once, they should have better supervision but that is the fault of the guys that brought them. We all should encourage new shooters especially women. Remember women are half the voting block.

Earth has always been a dangerous place to live. Be prepared!
B.Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:44   #42
YtownGlock
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Reid View Post
Even you were a newbee once, they should have better supervision but that is the fault of the guys that brought them. We all should encourage new shooters especially women. Remember women are half the voting block.
You're right, I was a newbee at one time. But I NEVER did anything to compromise the safety of others or myself.
Old 03-03-2012, 19:57   #43
hawgfan

Sure am glad I can walk out in my back yard and shoot at my own range all I want and however I want, I like it in the summer when everyone is going by on the highway with their windows down and they hear gun shots and slam on the brakes, lol
hawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:34   #44
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
A month or so ago on a Thursday night at my local indoor shooting range, I was testing out some new defense ammo I recently purchased (Federal HST 165gr and Speer GD 165gr). I got to the range and it was PACKED. When I got inside there were 4 guys that had decided to bring their girlfriends to the range.

After shooting my first series of mags I holster my weapon and picked up my mags off the floor. I walked back to the bench behind me to grab another box of ammo. As i was loading up my mags one of the girls turned away from the stall and as she turned she covered me with the muzzle of the gun. She was roughly 10 feet away from me. I stopped loading my mags and closed my eyes. It took every bit of me not to flip out on her and her friends for improper firearm and range safety.

I figured it was her first time so I did not want to make a scene. I finished loading my mags and fired through my second series. I holstered my weapon, picked up my mags and went on to load them again. This time, a different girl did the same exact thing as the girl before her. I was so enraged that I completely lost my train of thought and screwed up on my next series.

What made matters worse was that over the sound of gunfire and even with my ear protection on, I could hear them fooling around and laughing.

This was my worst night at the range ever. I hate it when guys bring their inexperienced girlfriends/wives/etc to the range and all they end up doing is screwing around and trying to impress them.

It sounds like you were at American Range in Austintown? It's been a while since I've been up that way.

If so, say something to Larry next time if there's a problem. He doesn't tolerate horseplay and he will say something to them in short order.

Old 03-04-2012, 18:50   #45
YtownGlock
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
It sounds like you were at American Range in Austintown? It's been a while since I've been up that way.

If so, say something to Larry next time if there's a problem. He doesn't tolerate horseplay and he will say something to them in short order.

Haha. Larry is a great guy and lately I have been shooting in the left room. Don't have to put up with idiots in there
Old 03-05-2012, 03:33   #46
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Haha. Larry is a great guy and lately I have been shooting in the left room. Don't have to put up with idiots in there
I hear that! Usually when I go he has the left side shut down and dark. Larry is a heck of a guy! For some reason it sure does seem like his range is a magnet for the weirdo's and jerks though!

(Don't tell him I said that!)

Is his dog still alive? I think her name was Target?

Last edited by NEOH212; 03-05-2012 at 03:34..
NEOH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:06   #47
YtownGlock
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
Is his dog still alive? I think her name was Target?
Honestly, I do not know. Usually the only time him and I really talk is when I walk in and when I am leaving. We usually just bs about guns and what not. I didn't know he had a dog.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:54   #48
g26andgtrs

There have been times when it seems like I'm surrounded by newbies renting pistols just for fun. Got good RSOs at the range I frequent, but they can't possibly catch every last mess up. They do pay pretty good attention to anyone who seems to be inexperienced, watch them. Sometimes they actually come out of the booth correct mistakes.

The first time I went to the range, I didn't know what I was doing, but I sure knew to keep the gun pointed downrange. RSO came out and corrected my grip.

There are usually quite a few regulars around when I'm there. Most of them are pretty good about helping out any newbies.

I keep my SA on high alert at the range (and in the parking lot). I also try to not let other people get me too upset. If others are being really unsafe, I find an RSO immediately.
g26andgtrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 16:34   #49
owl6roll

Send a message via AIM to owl6roll
There is a National forest area I go to and it was crowded people standing around waiting to shoot. Some guys pull up, stand around for a while, standing behind the line of fire. We are shooting, then we hear the guys, from behind the line up open up, just shooting downrange, into the burm. I wasn't very nice about the whole deal, maybe should have been a little nicer, but I wasn't.
Old 03-05-2012, 16:46   #50
SixkillerEnterprises

It really is unacceptable. You should have let the RSO's do their job. Even after you left, I'm sure you wouldn't want some other person to take the idiots' bullet. Next time report it.

Last edited by SixkillerEnterprises; 03-05-2012 at 16:47..
SixkillerEnterprises is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
improper, inexperienced, range, safety