Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-17-2012, 18:41   #1
travis34769

Tactical or Old School?

Your opinion? If I could make a poll I would. There is a major discussion about which one you rather have. A tactical gun with plenty of features such as a laser, light, or something just extra.

So here is a thread for you to explain why.

I personally enjoy tactical. I like accessories and I like having options. It makes it more fun. On my carry weapon I keep it very simple. Only a simple trigger job and that is it. No lights and no lasers. On my other pistols I enjoy all of that stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
- USA Gun Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
- Pro Carry Holsters
travis34769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 18:53   #2
Metal Angel

I like what would be considered "tactical" like Glocks and other poly guns, but I don't put all the "tactical" garbage on them.

Edit: because that sounded mean-
I don't mean to say attachments are stupid, all I mean to say is I like the benefits of modern "tactical" guns, but I like them to stay clean and simple.

Last edited by Metal Angel; 02-17-2012 at 18:58..
Metal Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 18:58   #3
Tim151515
iHeartGuns

The only tactical things I really like are nightsites. I am not an accessory type of guy, so when I have a chance I go for the old school look/feel. For instance, I would rather have a m1 type rifle than ar15 any day, and an unrailed pistol over a railed pistol any day as well.
Tim151515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 19:33   #4
M2 Carbine

Because for some years I have experimented and practiced with "tactical" stuff such as gun mounted lasers, Red Dot sights and laser/lights, I have found that these are far faster and much more accurate than anything else that's used for HD and some carry in low light and darkness.

So almost all my defense guns are equipped with "tactical" lasers or laser/lights and or Red Dot sights.
General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

And some "tactical" stuff is just fun, like this Ruger Charger.
General Firearms Forum

But on the other hand I like my plain jane guns also.
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 19:38   #5
Airborne Infantryman
'Murica!

Well, since tactical enabled me engage a target further than iron sights would have, I'm gonna vote for tactical. Things such as lasers, optics, and the such, make the odds sway in your favor. In a gunfight, you need all the advantages you can get.

For ya'lls viewing pleasure- my issued weapon. It kept me safe for 12 months in Afghanistan on a daily basis. She's dirty in this pic from shooting about 400 rounds at the range that day.

Optic- Trijicon ACOG TA31-M150
Laser- PEQ-15
Light- SureFire M952V

(All issued equipment)

General Firearms Forum

BUT, the caveat to that, is there are simply some things that just weren't meant to be tactical.....like this-

General Firearms Forum

My SP101 would look weird with a rail, and painted black....

But the following is the sheer beauty of "tactical", my Benelli M4-

General Firearms Forum

Last edited by Airborne Infantryman; 02-17-2012 at 19:44..
Airborne Infantryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 19:39   #6
GlockinNJ

I think functional tactical is fine, but I don't like flashy tacti-cool design looks that have no function.
GlockinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 22:10   #7
LSUAdman
Pew Pew

In short, to answer your question, yes.

I dont put myself into a corner when it comes to old-school vs tacticool. I like guns. I have ARs, Uzis, AKs side by side with Mosins, Mil Surps and other Old-school weapons.

Some people love new fangled weapons. Some prefer a nice lever action. The way I look at it is that I'd never hang a light on my old school weapons and but I'd deck out my tactical weapons with what ever I thought would make it more useful/fun.

I've never understood the people who respond with "Ugh, that gun aint got no lazers on it so it sucks," or the "anyone who owns a black rifle and isnt .mil or LEO is a ninja" crowd.

There is one person on this board who doesnt hesitate to give you his opinion on what he thinks about Dracos, lasers, SBRs, etc. Why he feels the need to poo poo on people's threads is beyond me.
Old 02-17-2012, 22:11   #8
bac1023

I'm not a tactical guy at all. I like old school.

bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 22:15   #9
M2 Carbine

This was tactical in it's day.

General Firearms Forum
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 22:30   #10
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 Carbine View Post
This was tactical in it's day.

General Firearms Forum
Sure was

Very nice, by the way

Old 02-17-2012, 22:35   #11
ithaca_deerslayer

What does tactical mean?

A way to do something?

A way to put the bullet on target? A way to have enough bullets ready? A way to identify the target? A way to not be seen while you are trying to put bullets on target?
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 22:49   #12
Nestor
Lean & Mean

I'm Old School Tactical.
I prefer the older guns stripped to their elemental form, designed for nothing more than deadly social callings and keeping people on the right end of the barrel alive.
I have tried to present my choices in what is the most impressive form possible...yet I do realize that the high gods of capacity are not satisfied with my efforts

R.I.P Jeff (23Skidoo), Chad (CJLandry) & Mark (Okie) You all will be missed.
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 22:56   #13
Airborne Infantryman
'Murica!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
What does tactical mean?

A way to do something?

A way to put the bullet on target? A way to have enough bullets ready? A way to identify the target? A way to not be seen while you are trying to put bullets on target?

tac·ti·cal   [tak-ti-kuhl]

adjective

1. of or pertaining to tactics, especially military or naval tactics.

2. characterized by skillful tactics or adroit maneuvering or procedure: tactical movements.

3. of or pertaining to a maneuver or plan of action designed as an expedient toward gaining a desired end or temporary advantage.

4. expedient; calculated.

5. prudent; politic.
Airborne Infantryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 23:02   #14
ithaca_deerslayer

So how would you relate one of those above fancy definitions to a gun being considered tactical?

+10 points if it is more useful than my folksy talkin' letter things.
Old 02-17-2012, 23:18   #15
bac1023

"Tactical" doesn't really mean much of anything.

All I know is that I hate lasers, rails, and lights.

Old 02-17-2012, 23:29   #16
John Biltz

First of all saying an M1 is not tactical would have made my dad laugh. Personally, I carried M16s and M60s when I was 18 back in '74. That was nearly 40 years ago. No one called it tacticool back then. The fact was a pistol grip instead of the traditional stock improves point-ability. I like a red dot sight because I don't see as good as I used to and they help young eyes be faster as well. I remember guys taping Maglites to their handguards when we did MOUNT. I don't own an AR with a Red dot to be cool, I own one because its what I carried when I was a young man and I like to be able to easily see my sight instead of squinting to see them. My honest opinion is in twenty years or less you will not even see iron sights on military rifles. Sure you see a lot of useless junk on rails but a lot of it was derived because of honest need. I remember reading Guns and Ammo and an article on hunting in Alaska with a new laminated stock on his rifle and how great it was because it was so stable. I remember articles about new after market finishes on rifles and pistols so they would not rust. The truth is manufacturers did not push the products, they responded to the wants and needs of the customers who wanted durable guns that did not rust even if they did not look as nice. I also think if this board existed in the late 1800s there would have been numerous posters that cap and ball was the way to go and you were a fool to trust cartridges and they would never last.
Old 02-18-2012, 00:30   #17
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Biltz View Post
. . . I also think if this board existed in the late 1800s there would have been numerous posters that cap and ball was the way to go and you were a fool to trust cartridges and they would never last.
I don't know about that, but those revolving cylinder things are just a fad. Nobody needs that many shots if you know how to aim. Next thing guys will want the rounds to magically appear as if they came out of your grip and went directly into the barrel all by themselves

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 02-18-2012 at 00:33..
Old 02-18-2012, 09:19   #18
MajorD

I prefer old school no bells and whisltes just give me something that works- don't care if were talking about competition guns or carry guns- in my experience there is an inverse relationship between how geared out you get and how well the gun works - simple is better. And when I use my plain jane stock carry guns in idpa type matches or my old iron sighted revolvers in traditional bullseye matches and still shoot better than 80% of the guys with all the gizmo gadget guns, I feel rather satified- more so than if I tried to chase points with all the "stuff"
MajorD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:04   #19
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

For me it really depends more on what I plan on using the gun for. I like simple and functional. I don't like, "Tacti-cool" unless it actually serves a purpose beyond the cool factor. I don't have a problem with rails, lights, optics, ect just so as long as the actually enhance the capabilities of the firearm or my abilities as a shooter.

I like a gun to be complicated and enhanced just as much as it has to be in order for me to accomplish with it what I intend to do. Usually that means the simpler the better.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:10   #20
M&P15T
Beard One

More tactical.

Holo-sights, RDSs, & lights on things like rifles and shotguns are a definite help.

Tags
tactical opinions