Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:46   #1
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

European surplus mags from AIM

Since AIM mags keep popping up as recommendations in suggested magazines I thought I snap a photo of two and share that I purchased a batch.

Sold off most of the last batch of mags I bought from AIM surplus(the commercial made new bulgarian mags that I had trouble with rusting) and purchased used surplus. They were just too thin and cheap feeling, and I got annoyed with them.

They all arrived looking brand new. Maybe one of the mags was inserted into a gun once or twice.

Finish is not bad, certainly better than that horrible black paint on the Bulgarians.

Only criticism as of now is they are sharp is anything! Maybe all surplus are, I've only gotten older beat up ones before that were probably worn smooth from use.

My scabs from the last range trip are just starting to heal over, so this is the last thing I want. (boy, maybe I shouldn't have made fun of nutnfancy and wearing gloves all the time.. )

Even the overlapping tac/spot(?)welded seam along the front of the mags is just waiting to slice a finger if you grip the mag and slide your hand along the edge. I'll be taking a jewlers file and some steel wool to the edges.

The Kalashnikov Klub
The Kalashnikov Klub

They fit a little loose in my Saiga compared to my other European surplus mags, but I'll let you guys know how they cycle rounds once I get out to the range.

geofri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 19:05   #2
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

Have yet to test fire, but I dissembled and de-greased them all. Then took a fine file and steel wool to all the sharp edges and lightly oiled them.

Some of the base plates fit a little haphazardly. One almost slides of the track if you push it sideways.

Not sure if it's worth tinkering with, or if I should just see how it holds up first.

Somewhere I read a tutorial to cut down and make a 20 rounder.. if I decide to try that I think this one will be the volunteer for the project. I could make the "tabs" at the end/bottom of the magazine to a custom and longer length so that the base plate fits a little more securely.

I do wish I ordered only a few before buying a larger batch of them. Serves me right for trying to save on shipping costs!

The Kalashnikov Klub
The Kalashnikov Klub
The Kalashnikov Klub
The Kalashnikov Klub

Maybe I should go over to ARs.. you guys are probably getting sick of my posts picking over small inconsistencies of my rifle and accessories

Old 02-05-2012, 23:00   #3
g22od
G-22-OD

I love those mags. I deburred them to silky smooth back smoothness and they're the last steel 30 rounders I have in a sea of Circle 10s.
AZEX Mini Uzi SBR
Et in Arcadia ego

Last edited by g22od; 02-05-2012 at 23:01..
g22od is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 23:05   #4
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

Quote:
Originally Posted by g22od View Post
I love those mags. I deburred them to silky smooth back smoothness and they're the last steel 30 rounders I have in a sea of Circle 10s.
Do any of your floor plates fit that poorly?

How did you go about deburring them? I started getting a bit careless and ended up scratching up some of the finish, and don't have all the edges as smooth as I'd like.

Last edited by geofri; 02-05-2012 at 23:08..
Old 02-06-2012, 16:41   #5
Tippyman

I just wear Mechanix Gloves.

I took a rifle class and the one time I forgot to put my gloves on, I got all scratched up in just one drill.
Tippyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 21:10   #6
cole

I bought ten of the AIM mags long ago. IMO they are the best deal going for some time now.
- When I was strong they came for the weak but I did nothing. Now I am weak and they come for me.
cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 21:59   #7
CGP

Love those mags. Not sure who made them but I got a dozen. They are much thicker than those korean steel mags. The best part about these mags is you can grind the inside tabs and make them bolt hold open mags. There are 2 tabs inside that stops the follower from going all the way up. The follower design is Chinese with the bump that goes all the way to the back, unlike normal commblock followers with the rounded bump.
CGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:53   #8
lehigh

The mags in the picture look like flat back china crap. The cheapest looking mags I ever got.
Lehigh...
lehigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:55   #9
drobs

The Kalashnikov Klub

Think I could fix that with a large rock or hammer.
drobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:06   #10
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobs View Post
The Kalashnikov Klub

Think I could fix that with a large rock or hammer.
I was waiting for that.

I really don't that that would help though.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:43   #11

These are AK's - they are crude as are the accessories and magazines. All that matters is that they function, not fit and finish.

Besides, what did you expect for $10?

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 13:49   #12
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post
These are AK's - they are crude as are the accessories and magazines. All that matters is that they function, not fit and finish.

You must have missed my disclaimer:

Quote:
Maybe I should go over to ARs.. you guys are probably getting sick of my posts picking over small inconsistencies of my rifle and accessories

Old 02-09-2012, 13:49   #13
TactiCool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post

I got my Tapco's at CTD for $10 each and I have beaten the tar out them and they have not failed me. I just bought more last night. I do, however, keep a few euro surp metal mags on hand just in case though.
TactiCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:04   #14
CarlosC
I love guns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGP View Post
Love those mags. Not sure who made them but I got a dozen. They are much thicker than those korean steel mags. The best part about these mags is you can grind the inside tabs and make them bolt hold open mags. There are 2 tabs inside that stops the follower from going all the way up. The follower design is Chinese with the bump that goes all the way to the back, unlike normal commblock followers with the rounded bump.
They're Chinese not European. Look at the post I did on mag identification: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1104378

The giveaways? The two ribs along the bottom that continue to the front of the magazine. Yugos have two ribs, but don't continue.

I disagree with lehigh, I think the Chinese mags are some of the best ever made. Actually, just about any Commie steel mag is pretty good.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:11   #15
CGP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosC View Post
They're Chinese not European. Look at the post I did on mag identification: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1104378

The giveaways? The two ribs along the bottom that continue to the front of the magazine. Yugos have two ribs, but don't continue.

I disagree with lehigh, I think the Chinese mags are some of the best ever made. Actually, just about any Commie steel mag is pretty good.
Yes and no. The flat back and two long ribs at the bottom is indeed Chinese design. But the ones being sold at Aim Surplus are not Chinese manufactured. These are also much cheaper than actual Chinese mags. Talk on the net says they are built in Yugoslavia using Chinese tooling.

Here's a video comparing the Chinese vs. Aimsurplus

Last edited by CGP; 02-12-2012 at 12:12..
CGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 13:01   #16
P.K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TactiCool View Post
I got my Tapco's at CTD for $10 each and I have beaten the tar out them and they have not failed me. I just bought more last night. I do, however, keep a few euro surp metal mags on hand just in case though.
I agree, Tapco makes good mags. Since those have been out I don't see any reason to have the steel mags(unless you want the traditional look). They're lighter, have good grip capability, rugged and reliable. The only issue with those mags is that the metal buttplate will rust. I left one in the elements last year to see how it can handle weather conditions. That's a simple fix by using a $5 can of engine paint on the spring and buttplate.
P.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 15:38   #17
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosC View Post

Glad to see you showed up, Carlos, was hoping you might.

If what the below poster said is true, about being built outside of china on Chinese tooling, is there any reason to feel they are of lesser quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGP View Post
Yes and no. The flat back and two long ribs at the bottom is indeed Chinese design. But the ones being sold at Aim Surplus are not Chinese manufactured. These are also much cheaper than actual Chinese mags. Talk on the net says they are built in Yugoslavia using Chinese tooling.

Here's a video comparing the Chinese vs. Aimsurplus

Aim Surplus AK Magazine Review - YouTube
Seems I have heard that floating around the net. I guess the fact that they don't have a "made in china" stamp is a start to validating that(?).

Old 02-12-2012, 16:09   #18
lehigh

I would guess that the reason that made in china is not on them is the mags are from a milatary contract sale and then sold on the open market.
I don't buy into the china AK's are the best AKs. I have a mak90 and it does have a good trigger but parts are all cast not forged like euro stuff. The finish is ok.
Now I don't have a polytec but the norincos I looked at didn't look all that great.
And I still think the reguler china mags are junk compared to euro mags.
Lehigh...
lehigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 20:22   #19
CarlosC
I love guns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofri View Post
Glad to see you showed up, Carlos, was hoping you might.

If what the below poster said is true, about being built outside of china on Chinese tooling, is there any reason to feel they are of lesser quality?
I haven't seen them myself, but they're probably good quality based on what the users are reporting. I thought they were a progression of the ones AIM was selling a while back that were a mix of Chinese bodies with Yugo guts and referred to on the net as "Chugos".
Old 02-14-2012, 20:17   #20
txgunguy

A couple of mine had slightly off baseplates. They just needed more force to come off. I personally love these mags. I like the flat back better than the rib. These are thicker steel and have more heft to them. They will more than likely last you a lifetime.
Old 02-14-2012, 20:24   #21
stopatrain
Lifetime Membership

I think they are great mags, but my favorites are the Hungarian 20 rnd mags.
stopatrain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:58   #22
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopatrain View Post
I think they are great mags, but my favorites are the Hungarian 20 rnd mags.
A lot of people seem to like the 20 rounders. I'd like at least one, my AK would fit better in the safe with a shorter mag.

I never see them for sale.. any pointers on where to pick one up?

Old 02-19-2012, 11:47   #23
CarlosC
I love guns!

Centerfire: http://centerfiresystems.com/MAGAKA07.aspx
Old 02-19-2012, 11:54   #24
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Also available as a package:

http://centerfiresystems.com/PKG07.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:53   #25
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

Oh, well that was quick! Thanks!