Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-07-2012, 13:19   #1
YtownGlock
Rookie

Failure to Aid a Law Enforcement Officer

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2921.23

ORC 2921.23 Failure to aid a law enforcement officer.
(A) No person shall negligently fail or refuse to aid a law enforcement officer, when called upon for assistance in preventing or halting the commission of an offense, or in apprehending or detaining an offender, when such aid can be given without a substantial risk of physical harm to the person giving it.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of failure to aid a law enforcement officer, a minor misdemeanor.

Effective Date: 01-01-1974

Okay. So I went through the Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy just this past Fall and when we were covering the ORC and we came upon this, I in all my wisdom, presented a far fetched (but possible) scenario to our instructor and rest of my fellow cadets where all but one agreed with me and I was wondering if you LEOs on here would agree with me as well.

Scenario: Law Abiding Citizen with a CCW is on an afternoon jog while not to far away from him a traffic stop is being performed. Two officers exit the squad car and approach the vehicle. The driver opens fire through the rear window wounding both officers. As this occurs, the LAC takes cover behind a tree and watches as the gunman exits the vehicle and walks towards the officers who are crawling back to their squad car while screaming on the radio for help. LAC has two options:
A. Do nothing and watch as some dbag executes two officers in broad daylight.

OR

B. Approach the gunman from behind, draw, and fire. Saving the lives of the two officers.

I told my class and my instructor that if I was that LAC I would go with option B. While the majority agreed with me, one guy did not.

(For those of you who are just seeing this, I edited out the part about the dissenter being a "Felon" to avoid any further grief as you will discover when you read some replies I got)

So, for you LEOs out there, what do you think about a LAC with a CCW coming to you or your fellow officers aid to save their life?

Last edited by YtownGlock; 02-07-2012 at 23:42..
YtownGlock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ccw, gunman, orc, stop, traffic