Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-18-2011, 20:24   #1
Old Junes

Crossbreed Supertuck Retention

My new Crossbreed Supertuck arrived today and so far I like it a lot- it conceals much better than any other holster I've tried so far.

That said, the retention is very tight. I have to pull quite hard to get the gun to come out of the holster at all. I can see this as a hindrance to a quick draw. I know that solid retention is a good thing for a variety of reasons... but I could swear that it is too tight. Does this loosen up a bit during the initial break-in period?
Old 07-18-2011, 20:32   #2
Dirt Doctor
Runs w/scissors

Evening, June. I too, carry in a supertuck and love it. There should be instructions (don't take my Man-Card) in the holster pack for how to fine tune the retention, by "softening" the Kydex using a hair dryer and damp washcloth. Once you soften the Kydex, you should be able to adjust to your liking.

Good luck and enjoy that holster!

"Professionals are predictable, but the world is full of amateurs." - Murphy
Dirt Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 20:38   #3
Old Junes

Evening, good sir.

Yes, I did see those instructions in the package... but I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that they was designed to tighten the retention specifically. I suppose I'll take another look at em'.
Old 07-18-2011, 21:03   #4
Pvt.snoballz

wait until the holster is broken-in

mine was very tight ( as yours is) when i first got it, now the retention is at zero, the only tension keeping the pistol in place is my belt. i should probably send it in to be re tightened but it doesn't bother me that much to be honest, i can still run just fine with it if i need to.

with this type of holster i dont see retention being a real need as the belt holds it tight just fine, but too much retention can certainly be, that said, id wait for it to break in before messing around with it.
Pvt.snoballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 21:24   #5
Dirt Doctor
Runs w/scissors

Yessir, you are correct in what the sheet says. However, I had a friend in similar circumstances as yours who used that process to loosen the retention somewhat.

Snowballz advice to give it a bit and see if it breaks in a bit on its own is also sound. With retention issues, a little dab will do ya.

"Professionals are predictable, but the world is full of amateurs." - Murphy
Dirt Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 21:44   #6
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

my galco king tuk is perfect right out of the box. since these are pretty much the same holster i dont know what could be wrong with yours except it was mislabled and is for another gun or was just made wrong.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...

Last edited by cowboywannabe; 07-18-2011 at 21:45..
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 21:49   #7
1glockfan23

I love my Supertuck, carry all my Glocks in one. Follow the enclosed instructions on adjusting the retention and you should be fine. If not, contact Crossbreed and let them know, they really stand behind their product and should be able to help out.
1glockfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:57   #8
fuzzy03cls

Use a heat gun. A hair dryer wasn't enough to get it hot to mold it.
There's a little nub on the outside along the slide. Heat that area & then from the inside push it out a little(only a little) that should ease retention. Same thing for adding tension, just push the nub in from the outside of the holster. It's really easy. But a heat gun should be used. You can buy a cheap one from a hardware store. I got mine from lowes for $15.
fuzzy03cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:43   #9
DaneA

Wear it for a couple of weeks and get it broke in before adjusting anything.
DaneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:49   #10
Edmo01

I own three different Supertucks, the Wife has one, and my son has two. Sometimes you need to tweak them to suit your draw.

I have used a hairdryer for the ones I wanted to change the drawing resistance. Slowly heat up the area depressed into the trigger guard. Gently push it in to tighten the draw or reach inside the holster and gently push that depressed area out to loosen. Check the fit with your pistol.

"Gently" is the key once the kydex gets soft. It only takes a smidge to totally change the resistance. If you pushed too much, warm it up again and put it where you want it.

It takes me longer to sneak the Wife's hairdryer and get set up than it does to adjust the holster!

Edmo

Last edited by Edmo01; 07-19-2011 at 07:50..
Edmo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 15:30   #11
polizei1
It WAS Quack

Send a message via AIM to polizei1
Wait a while before you mess with it. Mine was tight as well, and now there are lines in the leather where the gun sits (the parts that hit like the thumb safety). Once it stretches a bit and gets worn it it will be fine. I would actually like mine to be a little more tight, as it's pretty loose. I can hold it upside down and "bounce" it a little and it will stay put, so as far as I'm concerned it's fine.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:34   #12
Old Junes

Thanks gentleman. I am going to hold off on adjusting it for now... it actually seems to have loosened up a bit already.

As a side note, do you guys where any type of undershirt between the holster and your skin? I have the horsehide version and it is quite comfortable for awhile... but by the end of the day yesterday it was irritating my skin a bit.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:56   #13
fuzzy03cls

I always wear an undershirt. Not for the holster but because a sweat a lot.
fuzzy03cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:59   #14
RMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Junes View Post
Thanks gentleman. I am going to hold off on adjusting it for now... it actually seems to have loosened up a bit already.

As a side note, do you guys where any type of undershirt between the holster and your skin? I have the horsehide version and it is quite comfortable for awhile... but by the end of the day yesterday it was irritating my skin a bit.
Usually no undershirt. I've heard that some use a moleskin backing.
RMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 13:48   #15
Glock Fanatic

I wear an undershirt only because i have the combat cut and the gen 4 grip is rough against my skin... when i carry my gen 3 i dont wear it and its still rather comfortable in all weather conditions...

Last edited by Glock Fanatic; 02-04-2012 at 13:49..
Glock Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 14:11   #16
Marc1956
CLM #66

I found a foolproof way to loosen up my SuperTuck. Leave it in your vehicle, during the hot Georgia summer, WITH your Glock in it and it will loosen itself right up! Don't ask me how I know this!

Tags
concealed carry, crossbreed supertuck, glock