SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-02-2012, 00:42   #1
YtownGlock
Rookie

Backup Weapon for CCW

I have a buddy who carries a Glock 19 as his primary ccw weapon and (I can't remember the name of the other gun) a subcompact 9mm on his ankle on occasion, he doesn't do it all the time though.

I currently have only a Glock 23 Gen4 and am contemplating getting a Glock 27 Gen4 and wearing it on my ankle as well.

Does anyone else carry two guns? I've seen a lot of the veteran youtube gun community channels talk about this subject and it seems some people do in fact carry a backup.

What are you thoughts and opinions for carrying a backup ccw weapon? Depending on what state you live in, are you allowed legally to carry more than one weapon/handgun concealed? etc etc etc.
YtownGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 00:54   #2
xmanhockey7

Most states do not have a law regarding the number of guns you can carry. I know NM sets it at one concealed gun. Personally I thinking carry a BUG is a great idea. You never know what may go wrong with your primary. And having 2 guns that can accept the same mags (assuming you use at least a 13 rd G23 mag) you have a great amount of firepower. If I were you I'd have flush mags in each and all back up mags would be G22 15 rd mags.
xmanhockey7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 00:55   #3
JuneyBooney

I have carried firearms like that on occasion and it is smart to carry the same caliber. I know a trooper who carries two 27...one on each ankle and then his primary weapon. In reality most people will never use the back ups ever.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool songs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool car:
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:04   #4
Bodyarmorguy

My normal routine is a Glock 22, 23 or Colt Gov't on my waist, backed up by a Glock 27 on my ankle if I am wearing long pants.

Many folks subscribe to back up guns, but most usually in the form of a .22, .32, .380 or the like. My particular thought on this subject is that if your primary gun goes down for whatever reason, your back up gun just became your primary gun. So.....if I wouldn't carry that .22, .32. 380 et al as a primary, why rely on it as back up? Just food for thought..
Old 02-02-2012, 01:25   #5
MinnesnowtaWild

Not my cup of tea at all. On duty, yes I will have a back up gun. As a citizen with a concealed carry I see no reason to carry a back up gun. I would rather just carry an extra mag or two.
MinnesnowtaWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:35   #6
mrsurfboard
The Anti-Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesnowtaWild View Post
Not my cup of tea at all. On duty, yes I will have a back up gun. As a citizen with a concealed carry I see no reason to carry a back up gun. I would rather just carry an extra mag or two.
Agreed!
Old 02-02-2012, 02:56   #7
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
This is my everyday carry setup
Carry Issues
Dalton Wayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:36   #8
WASR10

In my state you can only legally carry 3 specific guns. All at once or one at a time doesn't matter.

I generally carry a G23 gen 3, but sometimes a .38 snubbie. In theory the .38 could be a BUG to the .40, but I have always carried a reload instead.
And He said to them, ...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." - Luke 22:36
WASR10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:04   #9
YtownGlock
Rookie

Quote:
I ccw with 2 extra mags and have been doing so since I got my CHL. But I have to agree with a few other posts that it would be a good idea to have a backup if for whatever reason my primary weapon failed to perform.
YtownGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:21   #10
JBL13

I usually carry a .38 LCR as backup in a De Santis Nemesis holster in a cargo pants/shorts pocket. The LCR is occasionally primary (with no other backup) when wardrobe considerations make that an easy option.
JBL13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:29   #11
ca survivor

When I'm traveling by car, I have on a 642 on my ankle just for easy reach when siting down
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:47   #12
maddy345
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I carry a G23 Gen 4 in a TT Gunleather IWB holster with a G27 Gen 4 as BUG either in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster or on my ankle in a Desantis Die Hard.

I don't always carry a BUG but if I go into Raleigh or Durham or I'm on the road I will.

HK Club Member #345
maddy345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:19   #13
dave27

Not for me. Personally, I think it tends to be a sign people are focusing way too much on something that is only a small part of personal security (CCW).

But, if it makes you more comfortable go for it, who am I to tell you what to carry. I already have too much crap on my belt/pockets. (Leatherman/light/2 pagers/phone/wallet/Glock 19) I usually don't even carry a spare mag.
G1Niner's Club #343

"Trying is the first step towards failure" -Homer Simpson
dave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:20   #14
Donn57
Just me

Quote:
Yeah, I get it. Loaded extra mags are heavy so you can always hit your attacker with one if your primary weapon is no longer an option for whatever reason.
Donn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:41   #15
JDMitchell

I have a renegade ankle holster for the G27/26/33 if you are interested.

Shameless plug over.

I like the comfort of my ankle holster but with my big legs I print in all my pants. I'll keep my G27 at the 4 o'clock and carry a BUG cross draw.

Last edited by JDMitchell; 02-02-2012 at 11:38..
JDMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:48   #16
Donn57
Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by YtownGlock View Post
Does anyone else carry two guns? I've seen a lot of the veteran youtube gun community channels talk about this subject and it seems some people do in fact carry a backup.
Yep, although I long ago gave up ankle carry as an option. If I can carry one gun on my waist, I can carry two. The two I carry are Colt six-shot .38 Special D frames.
Donn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:13   #17
9mmParabellum

Quote:
Originally Posted by YtownGlock View Post
I have a buddy who carries a Glock 19 as his primary ccw weapon and (I can't remember the name of the other gun) a subcompact 9mm on his ankle on occasion, he doesn't do it all the time though.

I currently have only a Glock 23 Gen4 and am contemplating getting a Glock 27 Gen4 and wearing it on my ankle as well.

What are you thoughts and opinions for carrying a backup ccw weapon? Depending on what state you live in, are you allowed legally to carry more than one weapon/handgun concealed? etc etc etc.
I carry a .38spl
9mmParabellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:29   #18
Magicmanmb

On duty I have a .357 on my ankle. Off duty an extra mag, a 1 cell 120 lumen light in my pocket & a zip tie cuff in my badge wallet just in case. Wife has her CCW, 3 speed load strips for her J frame or an extra mag depending on which she carries & a small flashlight.
Magicmanmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:36   #19
Quarter Tank

I just started carrying an extra mag. i havent begun to venture into a whole 'nother gun yet. when so, I'll pick me up a G36 for it.
Quarter Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 14:06   #20
harrygunner

'mark1616' I should mention the "three gun limit" is the policy of some California counties, not a state limit written as law. I've had as many as six guns on my permit.

I add a J-frame in an ankle holster when driving long distances. It's less about having a backup and more about having a gun I can reach easily while seated.
harrygunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ankle, backup, ccw