SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:30   #1
YtownGlock
Rookie

Frustrated and Angry at the Range

A month or so ago on a Thursday night at my local indoor shooting range, I was testing out some new defense ammo I recently purchased (Federal HST 165gr and Speer GD 165gr). I got to the range and it was PACKED. When I got inside there were 4 guys that had decided to bring their girlfriends to the range.

After shooting my first series of mags I holster my weapon and picked up my mags off the floor. I walked back to the bench behind me to grab another box of ammo. As i was loading up my mags one of the girls turned away from the stall and as she turned she covered me with the muzzle of the gun. She was roughly 10 feet away from me. I stopped loading my mags and closed my eyes. It took every bit of me not to flip out on her and her friends for improper firearm and range safety.

I figured it was her first time so I did not want to make a scene. I finished loading my mags and fired through my second series. I holstered my weapon, picked up my mags and went on to load them again. This time, a different girl did the same exact thing as the girl before her. I was so enraged that I completely lost my train of thought and screwed up on my next series.

What made matters worse was that over the sound of gunfire and even with my ear protection on, I could hear them fooling around and laughing.

This was my worst night at the range ever. I hate it when guys bring their inexperienced girlfriends/wives/etc to the range and all they end up doing is screwing around and trying to impress them.

Anyone else feel the same way?
YtownGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:13   #2
Billua
Lake Mead Explr

Quote:
Originally Posted by YtownGlock View Post
A month or so ago on a Thursday night at my local indoor shooting range, I was testing out some new defense ammo I recently purchased (Federal HST 165gr and Speer GD 165gr). I got to the range and it was PACKED. When I got inside there were 4 guys that had decided to bring their girlfriends to the range.

After shooting my first series of mags I holster my weapon and picked up my mags off the floor. I walked back to the bench behind me to grab another box of ammo. As i was loading up my mags one of the girls turned away from the stall and as she turned she covered me with the muzzle of the gun. She was roughly 10 feet away from me. I stopped loading my mags and closed my eyes. It took every bit of me not to flip out on her and her friends for improper firearm and range safety.

I figured it was her first time so I did not want to make a scene. I finished loading my mags and fired through my second series. I holstered my weapon, picked up my mags and went on to load them again. This time, a different girl did the same exact thing as the girl before her. I was so enraged that I completely lost my train of thought and screwed up on my next series.

What made matters worse was that over the sound of gunfire and even with my ear protection on, I could hear them fooling around and laughing.

This was my worst night at the range ever. I hate it when guys bring their inexperienced girlfriends/wives/etc to the range and all they end up doing is screwing around and trying to impress them.

Anyone else feel the same way?
I do feel the same way but,

1) after the first time why did you not alert range personnel?
2) why after the second time did you stay and shoot without doing number 1 or leave the range? If you were THAT distracted, YOU could have had a lapse in safety.

Akin to, fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
Billua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:18   #3
YtownGlock
Rookie

I did tell the range officer AFTER I was done shooting. I didn't stick around for the aftermath that ensued later.
YtownGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:37   #4
Hedo1

Public ranges can be scary. Private ones can be too.

A few weeks ago I was finsihed shooting and leaving a club range and a guy with a blackpowder rifle was standing in front of my car with his rifle pointing 180 deg from the target and directly at my car. I asked him what he was doing and he said he had a misfire and was trying to clear it. I told him not to point it at my car, he then started pointing it at me. I circled away and the idiot tracked me with his rifle under his arm. I yelled at him to stop pointing it at me. He responded "it won't fire I'm having a problem with it".

I went full Gunny on him and explained why he was an idiot and told him to leave his rifle on the table until he couldn't see my car leaving the club any longer. Honestly I was about a second away from disarming him.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:41   #5
Yang332

Snaps.. that totally sucks. I probably would've blew up. Having a muzzle pointed at you once is already too much. I'm not willing to let it go. I'm glad you left if one piece though.
Yang332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 18:30   #6
MannyA

Gun safety is everyones responsibility.
I would tell the RO AND leave, because if I stayed and got shot I would be to blame. If I waited and someone else got shot I wou
would be to blame.
MannyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 20:06   #7
AA#5

I've experienced that. I always alert range employees whenever it occurs.

A few years ago, a guy was shooting in a stall at an indoor range with three girls dressed like hookers (none wearing eye protection; probably didn't want to affect their makeup). He walks over to me & asks to see my ammo (cast handloads) & complains that they're getting hit with fragments "from that damn thing" (referring to my S&W 500). I said, "Ever hear of eye protection?" He just shrugged & returned to his ladies.

On the way out, I notified range employees (who were having a lunch break together - no one watching the security video). I reminded them of possible liability if one of them gets hurt after allowing them to shoot without eye protection. One of the RO's went out to speak to them.
AA#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 22:51   #8
W4CNG

Send a message via AIM to W4CNG
Thank God we do not have those Range Issues where I shoot. Everyone who is a first time shooter watches a Range Safety Video before going to the range. There is a Range Officer in each of the 3x8 ranges to insure safety. I have not seen any issues at the range as a Founding Member including the firing of a Fully Automatic 45ACP machine gun which has a separate Range Officer with it.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
W4CNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 22:58   #9
drewseph

that would be frustrating, but seems like a perfect learning opportunity for them from an experienced and safety-concious shooter... just sayin...
drewseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:42   #10
sixgun2
packin heat

Got to be the weather, I feel for you. Just yesterday I was doing some pre qual tactics training with some local CBP (Canada Customs) when a individual beside me swept me good, was a waste of time an breath yappin" at him as he couldn't speak or understand Canadian. On a side note I promised the transplant team when I got a new heart that in my second life I planned on dying of old age, however that incident had me thinking otherwise.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:17   #11
eracer
Where's my EBT?

I haven't had that experience (although I did get painted in the face by a pistol's laser at a gun show once.) Still, I might have some cards made up that have this writing on them:

The Unbreakable Rules of Gun Safety

1. Always treat a gun as if it is loaded.
2. Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.
3. Always keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

Then, if someone negligently points a gun at me I can hand them a card.
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:39   #12
dosei

Do you have any issues with road rage as well?

If your employer has an EAP, take advantage of it and get some anger management counseling. Hopefully that will give you the tools to enable you to politely notify them of their violation of range safety rules. "Miss, what you are doing can get you kicked off the range, because it is very dangerous. Keep the gun pointed downrange at all times or the range Safety Officer can kick you out." If they ignore you, you will be able to calmly notify the range SO who will deal with them. And you will be able to focus on what you went there to do...instead of loosing all focus.
"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)
dosei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:55   #13
Fatman73

Seems like alot of that to me from my experience its either idiots with guns or gun snobs these days most cant shoot for crap. but they look cool after all thats the most important thing right??
Fatman73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:47   #14
Chesafreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedo1 View Post
Public ranges can be scary. Private ones can be too.

A few weeks ago I was finsihed shooting and leaving a club range and a guy with a blackpowder rifle was standing in front of my car with his rifle pointing 180 deg from the target and directly at my car. I asked him what he was doing and he said he had a misfire and was trying to clear it. I told him not to point it at my car, he then started pointing it at me. I circled away and the idiot tracked me with his rifle under his arm. I yelled at him to stop pointing it at me. He responded "it won't fire I'm having a problem with it".

I went full Gunny on him and explained why he was an idiot and told him to leave his rifle on the table until he couldn't see my car leaving the club any longer. Honestly I was about a second away from disarming him.
I would be pissed off but understanding of a newbie that did this by mistake. However in a case like yours in which someone intentionally points his muzzle at you; I would have done everything in my power to ensure this guy is banned from the range.

Last edited by Chesafreak; 02-01-2012 at 12:56..
Chesafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:55   #15
Chesafreak

Occasionally I take my girlfriend or others to the range. I always give them a safety brief ahead of time before hitting the range while we can still hear each other talk. I place the pistol on the table pointed downrange and they are expected to ONLY point it downrange and return it to the table pointed downrange when finished shooting. I stand over their shoulder while they are holding the pistol and if they rotate their body I place my hands on their shoulders to stop them.
Chesafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 13:21   #16
eracer
Where's my EBT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve23323 View Post
I would be pissed off but understanding of a newbie that did this by mistake. However in a case like yours in which someone intentionally points his muzzle at you; I would have done everything in my power to ensure this guy is banned from the range.
Absolutely.
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 13:33   #17
GlockinNJ

I would have had words with the boyfriends. If the girls were newbs, it is their responsibility to assure they follow basic safety rules.
GlockinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 13:46   #18
PEC-Memphis
Scottish Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YtownGlock View Post
..... I hate it when guys bring their inexperienced girlfriends/wives/etc to the range and all they end up doing is screwing around and trying to impress them.
Trust me, it ain't just the chicks being unsafe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eracer View Post
I haven't had that experience (although I did get painted in the face by a pistol's laser at a gun show once.) Still, I might have some cards made up that have this writing on them:

The Unbreakable Rules of Gun Safety

1. Always treat a gun as if it is loaded.
2. Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.
3. Always keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

Then, if someone negligently points a gun at me I can hand them a card.
Oww man, you're just a range nazi. Everybody knows that the rules don't apply to everyone. There are plenty of 22-year-olds on this forum who are so knowledgeable and infallible that the rules don't apply to them.

Last edited by PEC-Memphis; 02-01-2012 at 14:53..
PEC-Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 14:31   #19
larry_minn
Silver Membership

If you do nothing you are not helping them, the range, or yourself. (not even the rest of us gun owners) When a person is unsafe you should at LEAST tell range staff. If you talk to person and they are dicks, leave.
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 17:23   #20
threefeathers
Scouts Out

Safety is absolutely first on a range. I would have quietly told them that this is the way to do it then turned them in to the RSO.
threefeathers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
improper, inexperienced, range, safety