SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-30-2012, 18:04   #1
Brooklyn123456

Send a message via AIM to Brooklyn123456
Another Day, another Gold Dot shooting for the NYPD

Sorry, I don't know if he used a 9mm or a .38 either way they are both Gold Dots. 9mm 124+P or .38 135 grain +P. If anyone has intimate knowledge what was used, please fill us in.

A police detective shot and killed a man who allegedly tried to mug him on Grove Street near Broadway in Bushwick, Brooklyn, on January 29, 2012. (DNAinfo/Nick Rizzi)

By Nick Rizzi and Wil Cruz

DNAinfo Staff

BUSHWICK — An off-duty police detective shot and killed a man who allegedly tried to rob him in Bushwick late Sunday by attacking him with a cane, NYPD officials said.

Antwain White, 17, of Brooklyn, was killed after he and an accomplice allegedly approached an off-duty officer walking to work from the J train's Gates Avenue subway station, at 11:49 p.m., police said.

White allegedly struck the detective with a cane on his face while the other suspect allegedly grabbed the detective's arm and pretended he had a gun, according to NYPD officials.

Police said the detective ordered White to stop and displayed his shield and identified himself as an officer. The teen, however, did not stop, officials said, and the detective opened fire, shooting the alleged would-be mugger in once the chest.

White was taken from the scene in front of 22 Grove St., near Broadway, to Woodhull Hospital, where he died, police said.

The detective was taken to Wyckoff Hospital for treatment. His condition was not immediately clear.

The second suspect, reportedly a 15-year-old, was caught early Monday morning and was being questioned about his potential involvement in the attack, police said. As of noon Monday, he had not been charged, police said.

People who live in the neighborhood said the shooting happened on a block that is poorly lit and where there have been a lot of robberies lately. The block has apartment buildings on one side, and vacant land on the other.

"There's been a lot of muggings, a lot of gangs," said 22-year-old Bushwick resident David Rodriguez. “I walk down this area everyday. It's dark. Some of these light don't work."

He added, "It's been rough out here. We should have some more cops on duty."

Another resident, Juan Gomez, 42, said that when he walks Grove Street to the subway station at night, he stays in the middle of the street because it’s safer than the sidewalks.

"There's been a lot of activity on this block. Like robbing people, breaking the windows of cars, Gomez said.

The shooting marks the second time in as many weeks that an off-duty cop shot a man. A lieutenant fatally shot an armed suspect in Cypress Hills on Thursday, police said.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg said that the shootings have to be considered on a case-by-case basis.

"I think it’s always a mixed bag and you have to look, just very carefully, look at every time there is a shooting to make sure that nobody is abusing the fact that they are allowed to carry a gun,” he told reporters at an unrelated press conference in Queens.

Still, he continued, "I think we expect them, in fact, when they’re in their private lives to come to the rescue of other people," he said. "There’s an expectation that the police officer doesn’t leave responsibility or training at the office, if you will."
Brooklyn123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 18:14   #2
unit1069

From the article:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn123456 View Post
"There's been a lot of muggings, a lot of gangs," said 22-year-old Bushwick resident David Rodriguez. “I walk down this area everyday. It's dark. Some of these light don't work."

He added, "It's been rough out here. We should have some more cops on duty."
I do hope that when "community groups" show up to protest another police shooting of an alleged "victim" that this guy and others step forward to counter the protesters' claims that the police are an "occupying force" meant to intimidate and suppress said "community".

PS: Let me add that I'm so disappointed in NYC Mayor Bloomberg's weak sister approach to the safety of New York City residents, regardless of their neighborhoods. It's no wonder why his political aspirations can't get past the Holland Tunnel given the way he defaults to Radical Left aspersions on sworn LEO testimony.

Quote:
"I think it’s always a mixed bag and you have to look, just very carefully, look at every time there is a shooting to make sure that nobody is abusing the fact that they are allowed to carry a gun,” he told reporters at an unrelated press conference in Queens.
New York City, you can certainly do a whole lot better the next time you go to the polls to elect a new mayor.

Last edited by unit1069; 01-30-2012 at 18:21..
unit1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 18:45   #3
packinaglock
John 3:16 <><

Love to see good triumph over evil!
Old 01-30-2012, 18:48   #4
cowboy1964

If you're underarmed with a good 9mm JHP, you're underarmed period and it's time for the long guns.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 18:59   #5
Tiro Fijo

Bloomberg is a total POS tool. I wouldn't vote for that moron for dogcatcher.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 19:08   #6
Rodman24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn123456 View Post
Mayor Michael Bloomberg - "I think it’s always a mixed bag and you have to look, just very carefully, look at every time there is a shooting to make sure that nobody is abusing the fact that they are allowed to carry a gun"
Wow! What a duck!
Rodman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 20:16   #7
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
If you're underarmed with a good 9mm JHP, you're underarmed period and it's time for the long guns.
Well said!

If you are not free to choose wrongly and irresponsibly, you are not free at all. - Jacob Hornberger
tsmo1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 20:28   #8
dkf

Its a good thing only off duty LEOs get mugged. The residents of NYC well FU.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 23:12   #9
PghJim

It was good it was an off duty police. If had been anyone else they would have been beaten to death with a cane. All of the off duty shooting in NYC say a lot for the need for more CC.
PghJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 18:25   #10
G36shooter

Sad to read that the police are 'allowed' to carry a handgun and can protect themselves from a violent attack, but the law-abiding citizens are left defensless. Way to go Bloomberg. Living safe and armed in Michigan.
G36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 18:49   #11
ViennaGambit

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post

PS: Let me add that I'm so disappointed in NYC Mayor Bloomberg's weak sister approach to the safety of New York City residents, regardless of their neighborhoods.

New York City, you can certainly do a whole lot better the next time you go to the polls to elect a new mayor.
I agree.

I left NYC in November and rather glad. I have seen the city headed downhill with regards to filth and an increased homeless presence over the past 5 years.

There is a NOTICEABLE difference in both since Giuliani left.

Old 02-04-2012, 14:46   #12
DonGlock26

It's nice to see the Golddot felon repellant applied liberally in NYC.

Caliber Corner

_
Old 02-04-2012, 18:24   #13
unit1069

Michael Bloomberg is a Democrat-turned-Republican who made the switch (correctly) believing it would help him get elected mayor.

I get the suspicion watching him over the past couple of years that Bloomberg is preparing to switch back to being a Democrat.

Last edited by unit1069; 02-04-2012 at 18:24..
unit1069 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
9mm, gold dot, nypd