Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:48   #61
barth
six barrels

S&W 342 ti 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmcfox View Post
She shoots my g20 just fine so not a huge concern about recoil. But my question does anyone know of a decent semi-auto or hammer less revolver smaller than a g26 that still packs a punch?
My S&W 342 ti titanium 38 weights 11.1 oz empty and 13.5 loaded
with Speer GDHP 135 gr 38+P Short Barrel ammo.
FBI Protocol test results from a 2" snub nose:
http://www.speer-ammo.com/products/bullet_tests.htm

This little monster is a dream to carry, sweet glassy trigger,
shoots POA at close range and is 100% reliable.
It does kick like a 357 Mag, but if she can handle a G20?
With a XS Big Dot on the nose - SD is pull, point, squeeze.
General Firearms Forum

Last edited by barth; 01-14-2012 at 10:58..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:49   #62
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
You're (awesome) wife liking revolvers is great, but most females won't enjoy a .357MAG/hot .38SPCL loaded snubby. I'm glad to hear you've gotten your wife into shooting.

Did you start her off with the 4" compensated Ruger .454 Alaskan?
She likes revolvers because she can easily see if they're loaded or not. Her ex was a real jerk and scared her with a little 25acp that he had. He took the mag out and then proceeded to point it at her then he pointed it at his head and told her "It's not loaded" at which point he pointed it at the ground and pulled the trigger and it went off. Guess the dumb***** didn't remember about the one in the chamber Anyway, after that she's just not comfortable with small semi-autos and would rather have a revolver.
I took her shooting for the first time back in the mid-'80's while we were dating. I wanted her to understand what a gun was and was not and since I owned them I wanted her to know how to use them and be safe with them.
At the time I had an EMF Dakota SAA copy in 357Mag, 5.5" bbl, color case frame. We went out to the desert and I loaded it up with some 38spl loads and taught her how to shoot. She pretty much took to it like a duck to water.
She doesn't make firearms a priority like I do though, she really doesn't care if she has one or not. I, on the other hand, just don't feel right without one. Still, I'd like to pick up a decent little revolver and let her get use to shooting it enough for her to take her CCW so she can carry if she'd like.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:49   #63
Lew-G17

Kahr P9, or PM9 is smaller than a G26 and is the same caliber.

Lew-G17
Lew-G17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:51   #64
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogship View Post
You know, I've never really thought of the PPK/S as a "gender specific" firearm, but now that you mention it.......Yeah, women do seem to gravitate to it for whatever reason...........(It unquestionably has very refined style and is small enough to be thought of as "non-intimidating"......women seem to pick up on these things.)
General Firearms Forum
I've heard some people complain of the recoil because of the fixed barrel, but to my way of thinking, it's not bad at all. It's all steel, and the 380 does not have that much recoil in the Walther frame. I suspect with some who comment in the negative, it's more anticipation than real sensitivity......

ooc
The PPK does have snappy recoil, and the potential for slide bite, and is heavy for it's size. It also is traditional double action, which some prefer and some do not, so the user has to consider if they want that.

Because the PPK/S has the longer grip, that version might reduce the recoil a little.

Personally, I prefer the lighter polymer LCP that is double action only, no safety, a little smaller than the PPK, and has about the same or less recoil.
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:54   #65
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Quote:
I think it's the "old timers" and their younger followers that keep perpetuating the idea that a snubby is the best "for wimmin folk". Once someone posts about how "firearms experts" or "firearms trainers" recommend one thing or another, I tune them out. If you're on this forum, been shooting for a while, and you can't figure out what works for you from your own experiences, you're too lost to help.

Here's my thoughts as to why a revolver like a j-frame is a great purse gun.
A woman can actually fire it from inside a pruse, and get off more than one shot.
Doubt this would be possible with a semi auto like the G26.

Now, I will agree, for "on body" carry there are other choices. Also,
a .357 Mag j-frame would not be a recommendation of mine for most
women. .38 Special,....yes, very capable caliber for defense.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:55   #66
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Snubbys are terrible, especially for smaller, lighter people. Even in .38SPL, the recoil is awful. .357MAG? Just stupid uncomfortable. Autos absorb much of the recoil energy to cycle the action, so they're much more comfortable to shoot. Most autos will also have better sights than snubbys to boot.

I was at the range a few weeks ago, and there was a husband and wife out shooting their snubby. The wife was having less fun than a root canal, and even the husband could barely hit the broadside of a barn at 10 yards.

I cannot understand why anyone suggests sunbbys for new shooters/CCWers, when there are so many better autos out there. If we want more people to get into shooting, they need to have better suggestions from experienced shooters. They can't go to the range the first time with their new snubby they bought on some idiot's suggestion, and find the experience horrible. The experience will turn them off to shooting, and they won't continue shooting and recruiting more people into shooting.

For Christ's sake, can we please stop suggesting awful firearms to new shooters?
My wife has a snubbie and loves it, and can shoot it more accurately than most guys shoot their autos. You raise good issues, but need to balance with the other qualities of the snubbie too.

We teach new women shooters, and work them through a progression of guns. For a small carry gun, the snubbie becomes a viable option for them. The recoil with standard loads is typically no worse than the small .380. The reliabilty is superb, so is concealibilty. You can easily pick from a variaty of grips to best fit the user. Operation is straight forward and easy to understand. The gun is as accurrate as any other, and learning to shoot it well furthers overall shooting skills.

But these issues need to be understood in overall context of the many choices in guns out there.

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 01-14-2012 at 11:09..
Old 01-14-2012, 10:57   #67
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth View Post
My S&W 342 ti titanium 38 weighs 11.1 oz empty and 13.5 loaded with Speer GDHP 135 gr 38+P Short Barrel ammo.

This little monster is a.........It does kick like a 357 Mag.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:01   #68
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
A woman can actually fire it from inside a pruse, and get off more than one shot.

This is the same old b.s. that "firearms trainers" have been bloviating on for 50 years.....them wimmin folk are gonna shoot from inside their purse.

Yep, that's gonna work.....reaaaal well.

If a new shooter is offered many different pistols to try, and they pick a snubby, fine. Load up said snubby with .38SCPL+P JHPs, or .357Mags, and the chances they'll choose the snubby over the many other choices available today isn't that great. From the poor sights, long difficult to master trigger, to the poor sights.....there's just many, many better choices out there on the market today. Ones that make getting hits on the target much, much easier, which makes shooting fun.

I apporach this subject not just from a self-defense perspective, but from the idea that it's much better for people to enjoy shooting, to the point where they want to do it for a life time. The more people we get involved in shooting, the more protected our 2A rights will be in the future. Starting new shooters and CCWers off with nasty shooting pistols is not the way to bring new peple to shooting and keep them with us.

Last edited by M&P15T; 01-14-2012 at 11:25..
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:11   #69
argy1182

Quote:
I think you're poking fun at me, but your spelling, punctuation and grammar is making it difficult to be sure. Something about the Lions....something about Oprah.....the rest is gibberish.
Never ceases to impress how a query for advice can turn to mud slinging. Stay classy, dude.

OP - I'd read through the options listed in this thread and other online sources and spend a day at the range with your wife to try out the various options before committing. Have a good one!
argy1182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:16   #70
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Quote:
This is the same old b.s. that "firearms trainers" have been bloviating on for 50 years.....them wimmin folk are gonna shoot from inside their purse.

Yep, that's gonna work.....reaaaal well.

Which brings us right back to a snubby.
You're hopeless,........
Old 01-14-2012, 11:20   #71
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:

Not to mention that it's significantly less likely to have a malfunction, can't be weak-wristed, and if a round fails to fire, you just pull the trigger again.

Since the OP's girlfriend has already got some semi-auto experience, she's probably willing to practice a semi-auto, learn failure drills, and be able to rely on one for self defense. HOWEVER, I don't like the idea of semi's for purse carry, much for the reason you stated, in addition to the innate advantages of a revolver.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:27   #72
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Nice to know someone sees my point.

I do agree with the point that the decision of WHAT firearm someone
should carry, is best left to the individual.

Many have complained about the size of the grip on the Beretta 92fs.
My wife is 5'5", 125lbs,......so an average size Lady. She has NO problems
with the Beretta's grip, she shoots it better than most men!

Any rate,.........thanks 'Plank, I'm outta this one before I ruffle some one's feathers.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:31   #73
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
You're hopeless,........
Right back atcha' pardnor!!!
Old 01-14-2012, 11:39   #74
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Not to mention that it's significantly less likely to have a malfunction, can't be weak-wristed, and if a round fails to fire, you just pull the trigger again.
All of this is true, there are definitely some advantages to revolvers. But you know what? The average woman/new shooter does not care about that stuff.

Everything you listed are concers that seasoned shooters discuss in forums like this, or over a beer at the local range. New shooters, especially women, are more interested in finding what appeals to them, and as others have noted, what appeals to them is not necessarily always based on logic or facts.

We need to focus on getting more new shooters, and especially more new women shooters, onto the ranges. Forget about the minute details and circumstance specific reasons why you think a particular pistol is the right one to recommend. Most of the reasons that would cause you to recommend a pistol are of little importance to new female shooters. They have completely different ways of figuring stuff like that out, of what concerns them, from you.

Last edited by M&P15T; 01-14-2012 at 11:40..
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:43   #75
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by manonmars View Post
I have sponsored 4 classes for women/seniors in the recent past.

Many women were new to shooting, and had just bought a new 38 snubbie/airweight because the gun shop recommended it.

Believe me, women don't like airweights...or snubbies! (I don't even like them).

I was approached later by 2 & ask if I could help them sell their new gun......(38's).

Then, a month ago, I took a 25 year old girl who weighs about 120# to the range. She had shot a g-19 twice (2 shots).

I brought my g-19, g-23, g26, and g-30. I also brought a S&W model 19, and a Taurus Tracker 357 (4"), along with a Ruger 22 & Taurus 22.

She ended up shooting and liking the S&W the best!

Go figger'.

Let THEM make the decision!!!
Glad you are putting that effort in. My club is just old guys who want to shoot, and have the women serve coffee. My wife's club does all the organizing, holds women's instruction and shooting events, and pays to get women certified as NRA instructors.

Of course those larger guns are nice to shoot. But keep in mind that for carry, the smaller guns are better suited to actually being carried in real life.

Nothing worse than a jamomatic. Haven't you seen women show up with those, too? They pull out the small mousegun they've been carrying, small sights, can't hit anything, and jam. At least if they have a snubbie, you can have them put some 148gr waddcutters, which are low recoil, and you can start working on fundamentals with a gun that doesn't jam. You can work them on a variety of guns, have them consider the different choices out there, and at the end of the day they go home shooting their small reliable carry gun much better then when they started.

The woman with the small jamomatic? She's going home not able to get her gun working right, and is thinking about options on what to buy next.

You and me? We are gun enthusiasts, and hobbyists, and some are even firearms proffesionals. We'll buy several guns, always buying the next one. If we get one that jams we are working out different loads for it, polishing parts, switching out springs, buying different mags, and if worst comes to worst, sending it back to the factory while switch attention to one of our other 20 carry guns. The average shooter wecare trying to teach is not like that. They just want a carry gun that works, and maybe another larger gun if they also start to get involved in target shooting some. They can ultimately shoot both guns, but we can't assume they are going to get a collection and become like us.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:09   #76
Usmcfox

Problem solved we went to a range/gun shop and she shot a walther ppk a Taurus CIA in 357 and a Taurus 740 slim and she liked the 740'best and at 15 feet all hit center mass. Plus since I load 10mm I have all the ingredients to make some nasty sd loads for it. Thanks for all your input.
Usmcfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:13   #77
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
All of this is true, there are definitely some advantages to revolvers. But you know what? The average woman/new shooter does not care about that stuff.

Everything you listed are concers that seasoned shooters discuss in forums like this, or over a beer at the local range. New shooters, especially women, are more interested in finding what appeals to them, and as others have noted, what appeals to them is not necessarily always based on logic or facts.

We need to focus on getting more new shooters, and especially more new women shooters, onto the ranges. Forget about the minute details and circumstance specific reasons why you think a particular pistol is the right one to recommend. Most of the reasons that would cause you to recommend a pistol are of little importance to new female shooters. They have completely different ways of figuring stuff like that out, of what concerns them, from you.
The first priority in helping someone to find a carry gun is to help them find a carry gun, hopefully one that works reliably for them.

The second priority can be encouraging them to become better shooters, or active in the sport, or pro-gun voters, or whatever you feel is important.

But back to the first priority, lay out some options for them, give them some help, and let them pick. And keep helping them as long as they keep asking, until they become better them you

What guns are you laying out on the range table for the woman to choose from in her search for a small carry gun?

I'll personally put out there G26, 642, 637, PPK, LCP, PM9, EMP. Someone else will also typically add to that G19, Berreta bobcat, NAA Guardian, SIG238. And whatevercelse the other instructors bring. Let them try and decide on their own what they like and will likely carry. The revolver is included in those choices.

The instruction usually starts with the larger guns, such as S&W42 or 2206 22's, or a revolver 22, or a GP100 38, or a Berreta 92 or G17 or other such fullsize 9mm. But those aren't the type of guns likely to be concealed carried picks.

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 01-14-2012 at 16:03..
Old 01-14-2012, 12:17   #78
Usmcfox

Just took the time to read every post you guys are raging over nothing lol. To each his own.i personally despise taurus firearms. But she claims it's nicer than my competition ready g20. Is she wrong...no am I wrong...no it's just opinions and how you are wired and built.
Usmcfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:20   #79
barth
six barrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmcfox View Post
Just took the time to read every post you guys are raging over nothing lol. To each his own.i personally despise taurus firearms. But she claims it's nicer than my competition ready g20. Is she wrong...no am I wrong...no it's just opinions and how you are wired and built.
Nothing wrong with a Taurus???
Just be happy your girl likes guns and is willing to defend herself.
Sounds like everybody wins to me - LOL.

Have fun and be safe my friend.
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:57   #80
hogship
It's MY Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post

Personally, I prefer the lighter polymer LCP that is double action only, no safety, a little smaller than the PPK, and has about the same or less recoil.
That's what I carry almost every day....LCP.

The LCP definitely has more of a "shock wave" in the recoil than the PPK/S.....and I have carried both, so I'm not just repeating what I've heard.

The recoil on the PPK/S is much easier to handle than the LCP.

The size and weight of the PPK/S is why it's just not that good an option, compared to the current market offerings.......but, if anyone chose the PPK/S for ccw use, it's still a good choice.....and, a personal choice.

ooc
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
hogship is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10mm, concealed carry, glock, ruger, taurus