GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-13-2012, 23:57   #21
Thamby

I like the Ruger LC9, and the Taurus Slim.
Thamby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 00:05   #22
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

Weather she can take recoil or not, a snub is not a "pick-up and instantly learn how to shoot it" type of gun. I like shooting the S&W 500 I rent at my LGS, high powered +P 45LC is fun out of my Ruger Redhawk and I can shoot .357s all day out of my 6" GP100 or 2 1/4" SP101. I however dislike shooting a lightweight aluminum framed snub with +P .38spl rounds.

IMO, go to a local range that rents guns and let her decide. Don't let her buy a defensive firearm based solely on looks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; 01-14-2012 at 00:41..
Nakanokalronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 00:43   #23
MinnesnowtaWild

Get her a LC9...and if she doesn't like that trigger get her a Taurus 709 slim since it has a simple, light SA trigger.
MinnesnowtaWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:12   #24
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

A hammerless revolver is the ONLY choice for a purse gun.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:21   #25
M&P15T
Beard One

Snubbys are terrible, especially for smaller, lighter people. Even in .38SPL, the recoil is awful. .357MAG? Just stupid uncomfortable. Autos absorb much of the recoil energy to cycle the action, so they're much more comfortable to shoot. Most autos will also have better sights than snubbys to boot.

I was at the range a few weeks ago, and there was a husband and wife out shooting their snubby. The wife was having less fun than a root canal, and even the husband could barely hit the broadside of a barn at 10 yards.

I cannot understand why anyone suggests sunbbys for new shooters/CCWers, when there are so many better autos out there. If we want more people to get into shooting, they need to have better suggestions from experienced shooters. They can't go to the range the first time with their new snubby they bought on some idiot's suggestion, and find the experience horrible. The experience will turn them off to shooting, and they won't continue shooting and recruiting more people into shooting.

For Christ's sake, can we please stop suggesting awful firearms to new shooters?

Last edited by M&P15T; 01-14-2012 at 06:26..
M&P15T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:22   #26
ZekerMan
ZekerMan

Ruger LCR with .38+P loaded. Great trigger, light and good ergonomics.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:31   #27
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZekerMan View Post
Ruger LCR with .38+P loaded. Great trigger, light and good ergonomics.
Oh good God. Nevermind, I tried.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:38   #28
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmcfox View Post
Ok so my girlfriend works night shift as a nurse, and often times has to stop and drop off blood work, tests etc. she expressed to me she would like a pistol to cc. Me being the firearm enthusiast / firm believer in cc took her shopping and me being a glockophile showed her the g26 first she said it was too big. Then the ruler lcp I believe in .380 and she said it was small and asked to see what the ammo looked like. So I showed her and she said " wow that looks like a baby compared to your 10mm. She shoots my g20 just fine so not a huge concern about recoil. But my question does anyone know of a decent semi-auto or hammer less revolver smaller than a g26 that still packs a punch?
A j frame .357?
Old 01-14-2012, 06:41   #29
M&P15T
Beard One

Please, please, please keep in mind what the OP is asking. He has a relatively new shooter, someone that will be new to CCWing, that has had good experiences in the past with autos, who needs good suggestions for their first CCW piece.

If she is going to enjoy shooting, and enjoy it so much she wants to go to the range and shoot often, so that she gets proficient with her CCW piece, we need to give suggestions on a pistol that she will enjoy shooting. Not some nasty recoiling, horrible sight and long trigger pull having, difficult to be accurate with, snubby.

This woman needs to enjoy shooting, she needs to get the satisfaction of actually being able to hit her target with her pistol. If she doesn't enjoy shooting her chosen pistol, she will shoot less and less until she quits, and we will have lost the opportunity to recruit a new shooter into the fold, and she herself will not bring other people to shooting.

Why experienced, 200lb males, that have a lifetime of shooting all different sorts of pistols, that have made the decision to accept the poor shooting characterisics of snubbys because they find them easier to carry, feel it's the right suggestion for new shooters, is beyond me.

Last edited by M&P15T; 01-14-2012 at 06:47..
Old 01-14-2012, 06:47   #30
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
A j frame .357?
Christ, I give in. Sure, a .357MAG snubby is the answer. Hell, might as well get her a .460 Alaskan with a 4" barrel, stuff it in her purse when she's not looking.

I have come to a conclusion, based on this thread. If you want advice in choosing a pistol for a new shooter and CCWer, especialy a female, the absolute worst people to ask advice from are experienced male shoters.

Holy crap, I thought I was stupid about women.

There's two basic rules here.

1. If momma ain't happy, no one's gonna be happy.
2. A snubby ain't gonna make momma happy.

Last edited by M&P15T; 01-14-2012 at 06:55..
Old 01-14-2012, 06:51   #31
hogship
It's MY Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post

I cannot understand why anyone suggests sunbbys for new shooters/CCWers, when there are so many better autos out there.
Actually, a snub nose revolver is a very good suggestion for certain people. There are a lot of people who want to arm themselves, but refuse to be proficient.....they might shoot it once, or not at all. This is just the cold reality, and we MUST accept it, whether or not we think things should be done differently. Personally, I'd rather these people be armed, and can confront evil with self dignity.......rather than beg for mercy.

Since anyone with half a brain can learn how to operate a snub in about two minutes, it is a very good suggestion for these people. If they ever have to use it, they'll be able to defend themselves.......and, most everyone will be able to shoot one well enough to stop a threat, if not make nice looking groups on paper.

There are some very mild shooting standard 38spl loadings that are just right for these people.

Otherwise, I agree with everything you say......and, my personal choices for ccw are automatics.

ooc

General Firearms Forum
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

Last edited by hogship; 01-14-2012 at 06:55..
hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:00   #32
purrrfect 10

I was Looking for the wife also I was thinking S&W 629 44 magnum 6"barrel that way she can use it for a walking stick when we are hiking too

Just kidding LC 9 Ruger 9mm w/ lazer is a fine looking pistol, she shoots my G20 10mm and does well with it but we are looking small for her purse. The J frame is nice and all but Semi I think is the way to go. I know many will argue the 9mm and stopping power. Again in a bad situation do not shoot once and see if that works. Keep firing until assailant is on the ground.

Office: Why did you shoot him ten times

answer: I couldn't get another mag in before he hit the ground.
I'm in the best condition I possibly can be ~ being in this condition...
purrrfect 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:04   #33
ubimow

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockglock View Post
try a kahr cm9 or pm9. 6+1 of 9mm in a small but controllable package.
this!!!!
Old 01-14-2012, 07:05   #34
purrrfect 10

Quote:
Christ,

I read all your RANTS but your are not giving any suggestion so who the hell is calling the kettle Black?
I'm in the best condition I possibly can be ~ being in this condition...
purrrfect 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:16   #35
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Christ, I give in. Sure, a .357MAG snubby is the answer. Hell, might as well get her a .460 Alaskan with a 4" barrel, stuff it in her purse when she's not looking.

I have come to a conclusion, based on this thread. If you want advice in choosing a pistol for a new shooter and CCWer, especialy a female, the absolute worst people to ask advice from are experienced male shoters.

Holy crap, I thought I was stupid about women.

Seems you know very little about:
-Women
-Purse gun operation
-New shooter orientation
-Revolver vs semi-auto reliability
-Revolver ease of use
-Semi-auto slide bind in confined spaces
-Muzzle contact out of battery malfunction

EVERYONE is different! Everyone has different needs, wants & expectations!
However, from the oustide looking in, a revolver is inherently more
reliable than a semi-auto. Easier to load, no safety to forget.

Do some research, talk to some experts, talk to some firearms
instructors about this topic. $100 says 95% of them recommend
a hammerless revolver for a new female shooter whom wishes to
carry "off body"

I've also comt to a conclusion,.....you know VERY little.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:17   #36
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogship View Post
Actually, a snub nose revolver is a very good suggestion for certain people. There are a lot of people who want to arm themselves, but refuse to be proficient.....they might shoot it once, or not at all. This is just the cold reality, and we MUST accept it, whether or not we think things should be done differently. Personally, I'd rather these people be armed, and can confront evil with self dignity.......rather than beg for mercy.

Since anyone with half a brain can learn how to operate a snub in about two minutes, it is a very good suggestion for these people. If they ever have to use it, they'll be able to defend themselves.......and, most everyone will be able to shoot one well enough to stop a threat, if not make nice looking groups on paper.

There are some very mild shooting standard 38spl loadings that are just right for these people.

Otherwise, I agree with everything you say......and, my personal choices for ccw are automatics.

ooc

General Firearms Forum
Right:

And if someone is going to go shooting once a year, there's no way the best suggestion is a nasty recoiling pistol with terrible sights and a horrible, long trigger.

A 9MM LCP, a G19GEN4, and so many other pistols are much, much easier to to shoot accurately, and especially so when training is minimal. But if the main focus is to get a new person into shooting and CCWing, and keep them for a life time, I can think of nothing worse to suggest than a snub nosed .38/.357

Last edited by M&P15T; 01-14-2012 at 07:18..
Old 01-14-2012, 07:20   #37
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Right:

And if someone is going to go shooting once a year, there's no way the best suggestion is a nasty recoiling pistol with terrible sights and a horrible, long trigger.

If someone ONLY shoots once a year, he/she will not fair very well
in s life or death situation.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:23   #38
Gunshine

Quote:
Snubbys are terrible, especially for smaller, lighter people. Even in .38SPL, the recoil is awful. .357MAG? Just stupid uncomfortable. Autos absorb much of the recoil energy to cycle the action, so they're much more comfortable to shoot. Most autos will also have better sights than snubbys to boot.

I was at the range a few weeks ago, and there was a husband and wife out shooting their snubby. The wife was having less fun than a root canal, and even the husband could barely hit the broadside of a barn at 10 yards.

I cannot understand why anyone suggests sunbbys for new shooters/CCWers, when there are so many better autos out there. If we want more people to get into shooting, they need to have better suggestions from experienced shooters. They can't go to the range the first time with their new snubby they bought on some idiot's suggestion, and find the experience horrible. The experience will turn them off to shooting, and they won't continue shooting and recruiting more people into shooting.

For Christ's sake, can we please stop suggesting awful firearms to new shooters?
I no longer own revolvers but I still like them. It seems the OP and the intended owner both have some experience. If you would like to suggest that the recoil of a small revolver in a large caliber might be a bit much that's fine. But I'm pretty sure referring to folks as idiots isn't helpful

Quote: Ancient_Serpent. Being kind, polite or having class isn't PC.
Gunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:26   #39
oldsoldier

Take her to a good gun shop with a large inventory and hopefully with a range and rental guns and let her check some guns out. I'm constantly surprised at the gun an individual women may choose. Often it is not what I would choose but they usually do fine with their chosen pistol. Some women have a problem with racking the slides on semi autos and some have problems with a hammerless revolver. The trigger pull is too heavy for them. I watched a CCW qualification the other day and the women had a XD 9MM, Ruger LCP, and S&W Lady Smith. Three women of different size and age and they all had a different gun. I say let her choose because you are wasting your time picking out a gun for her. Would you let someone decide what gun you should carry?
oldsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:27   #40
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
Seems you know very little about:
-Women
-Purse gun operation
-New shooter orientation
-Revolver vs semi-auto reliability
-Revolver ease of use
-Semi-auto slide bind in confined spaces
-Muzzle contact out of battery malfunction

EVERYONE is different! Everyone has different needs, wants & expectations!
However, from the oustide looking in, a revolver is inherently more
reliable than a semi-auto. Easier to load, no safety to forget.

Do some research, talk to some experts, talk to some firearms
instructors about this topic. $100 says 95% of them recommend
a hammerless revolver for a new female shooter whom wishes to
carry "off body"

I've also comt to a conclusion,.....you know VERY little.
Nope, you're wrong. You could not possibly be more wrong. Firearms instructors are absolutely, positively the wrong people to ask on this topic....which is why about the only thing you are correct about in your post, is that 95% of firearms instructors would recommend a snubby for a new female shooter/ccwer.

I have taught several females to shoot. I have taken females to the range with absolute 0 experience, never even held a firearm, much less shot one. I've had them in the black within a half an hour. And I'm 100% sure that the worst person to ask for suggestions on a pistol are experienced male shooters. 99% of them just push into a new female shooters hands what they think is the right answer.

"Here's a .38/.357 snubby, try it out."

BOOM-miss....BOOM...miss......BOOM......miss.

"Ewww, I don't like that, it hurts to shoot. I'm done."

Yeah, that's the right idea.

Last edited by M&P15T; 01-14-2012 at 08:24..

Tags
10mm, concealed carry, glock, ruger, taurus