Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-03-2012, 20:58   #21
bentbiker
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troysglock View Post
Doesn't look easy to activate quickly if needed, and what if the batteries have died? I would think it would great for a 10mm hunting gun though. Not sure Yet I would trust my life with it.
If you are talking about the RM02 in Genin's pictures, you don't do anything to activate it. As for the batteries dying, if you have backup iron sights, what would be the concern?

Edit: I was too slow. Genin answered.

Last edited by bentbiker; 01-03-2012 at 21:01..
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 21:09   #22
troysglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentbiker View Post
If you are talking about the RM02 in Genin's pictures, you don't do anything to activate it. As for the batteries dying, if you have backup iron sights, what would be the concern?

Edit: I was too slow. Genin answered.
My concern would be the time it took to transition your brain and eyes from expecting a red dot, not getting one in the moment of truth, to acquiring iron. I suppose I need to play with one to determine what this would be like.
Old 01-03-2012, 21:32   #23
jwhite75
Gubmint Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman22 View Post
Hi,
Although I have been carrying since im 22 (in 48 now) I was always told what I could carry.

Now I am retired I can carry what I want. I like the GLock 19 with a Red Dot.

Has anyone carried one? I know the Red Dots are used in compititions but what about CCW?

I found one vendor but it was upwards of 2k with refinishing.

Suggestions? Pros? Cons?

Thanks as always.
Lou

www.bowietacticalconcepts.com

Mr. Bowie seems ot be a class act and is also an instructor at TDI. One of the better Combat gun schools on the east coast and maybe in the country.
Old 01-03-2012, 22:02   #24
Ranger357
Just pixels

Everytime I see one of these I think back to 1987 in basic at Ft. Dix. Several recruits asked the DI's about scopes or red dots for the M16's we had, and always were told "It will never happen, millitary use is way too rough for those things." or "Red dots? where would you get the batteries?" Now it's odd to see a millitary rifle of any sort WITHOUT one.

I think we are close to the same sitaution with pistols, your going to see one large department adopt it, and bingo, it will be the standard in ten years.

Last edited by Ranger357; 01-03-2012 at 22:03..
Ranger357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:30   #25
silversport

once you train with it, it becomes as natural as any other sighting system...if you leave it on, then you wouldn't have to worry about it not being on when you need it...and as they lose their illumination slowly...you'll know well ahead of time that you should change the battery...or change it once a year...

Bill
silversport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:44   #26
Sheepdog Scout
Behind you!

I can see the advantages of them. I say if you wanna get one for your carry piece, do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sheepdog Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:03   #27
Jake Starr

I've used these...

http://www.amazon.com/Laser-Ammo-Sin.../dp/B006HY64MG

Same concept, lower profile....

Quote:
The biggest feature is that the dot allows you to be threat focused, no more blurry target and clear front sight.
All these type of sights as with lasers are merely aids to point shooting.

The Christian faith is in no way pacifistic.
Jake Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:15   #28
silversport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Starr View Post
I've used these...

if by same concept you mean they are both sights...agreed...but with red dot sighted pistols as those mentioned prior, you look at the target and the red dot is there not at the sights...I personally think the Trijicon RMR atop a GLOCK or FN (as I have both) is a step up in hitting your target...Good Luck with your choice...

Bill
Old 01-04-2012, 08:28   #29
Officer's Match
S.R.D. v

I was waiting for someone with hands on experience with a Glock RMR to respond, but agree that there is no similarity in that one dot sight and a real red dot optic.

I have an old cheap setup on a Ruger 22/45 that I love to play with, and particularly to initiate beginners with. It is so rediculously easy to hit your target with this that beginners do so, and find they like to shoot.

Now that this type of extreme aiming accuracy is available in a rugged and carry-able setup on a Glock, I see real potential for it in a duty/defense role.
btw, S.R.D. = Strategic Response Dog
Officer's Match is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:40   #30
Genin
Designated Left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Starr View Post
I've used these...

No sir, you couldn't be more wrong. The RMR is NOT a sight aid to point shooting and anyone thinking it is would be wrong and purchasing an expensive piece of gear that won't do anything of that sort.

First, just to clarify for you in the most simple of terms, point shooting relates to shooting in a manner where you are not actively using your sights but instead are using indexing (either off the slide, body, etc).

The RMR IS A SIGHT and must be used as such. No different than other red dots used on long guns. That being said others have said that in the heat of the moment if you can't get to your sights and you have an RMR equipped pistol you can index using the window as a sort of "tv screen of death".
Genin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:45   #31
Shadyscott69
GT Sponsor

Optic sights are defiantly faster. That is why all open guns run some form of an optic sight. There is a rather large learning curve associated with the transition.

There is actually a term for the problem, it is called the Cmore shuffle. When you are used to a sight that is very low to the slide, they raised optic can wreak havoc with your first shot time until you are used to it.

I am personally struggling with the optic on my Steel Challenge gun. It is actually slowing me down on my Limited division gun with irons. It is not a problem that cannot be overcome, it just takes a lot of practice. The newer mini dots that are actually milled into the slide seem to make the transition easier.
Shadyscott69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:54   #32
Officer's Match
S.R.D. v

Indeed the mini's do appear to reduce that issue. Look at the co-witness pics showing the dot sitting right on the front sight using suppressor sights, which are just a little bit taller than normal sights.

(last pic in post #9)
btw, S.R.D. = Strategic Response Dog

Last edited by Officer's Match; 01-04-2012 at 08:55..
Officer's Match is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:38   #33
Mark Housel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre! View Post
Gabe Suarez was recommending them and selling them for a while... So with that kind of endorsement, it's probably not that silly of an idea.

Personally, I like the night site arrangement, and the red dot will be *just a bit* more expensive than the night sites...

Patrick
And he still is, and it's certainly not silly. Gabe's slides are very high quality product.

Just someone else installing them on customer slides is now.
Although some are more 'cost effective' for exactly the same installation than others.

"I have learned that wisdom can be as simple as substituting facts for assumptions."
Mark Housel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:47   #34
Shadyscott69
GT Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer's Match View Post
Indeed the mini's do appear to reduce that issue. Look at the co-witness pics showing the dot sitting right on the front sight using suppressor sights, which are just a little bit taller than normal sights.

(last pic in post #9)
That is why I am thinking about having that done to my SC gun. It is either that, or go back to irons exclusively for all my game guns.
I just can't grasp how some guys will shoot a rimfire with optic in SC and then turn around and shoot a stage with iron sights.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:44   #35
bentbiker
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genin View Post
No sir, you couldn't be more wrong. The RMR is NOT a sight aid to point shooting and anyone thinking it is would be wrong and purchasing an expensive piece of gear that won't do anything of that sort.

First, just to clarify for you in the most simple of terms, point shooting relates to shooting in a manner where you are not actively using your sights but instead are using indexing (either off the slide, body, etc).

The RMR IS A SIGHT and must be used as such. No different than other red dots used on long guns.
Perfectly stated. Lasers do aid point shooting, Jake, but RDS and your T.A.S. sights have nothing to do with point shooting. They may improve your speed (as with point shooting), but they won't help your point shooting.
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:55   #36
silversport

they sure will show off (or up) your trigger control...was a wake up call to me, that's for sure...

Bill
Old 01-04-2012, 19:15   #37
Shadyscott69
GT Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversport View Post
they sure will show off (or up) your trigger control...was a wake up call to me, that's for sure...

Bill
I assume you are referring to lasers?
Old 01-04-2012, 19:28   #38
Tac-Safe

Send a message via Skype™ to Tac-Safe
Genin,

That was a sweet set up on the Glock..if I may ask, what was the process and turn around time to recieve your weapon. Do you purchase the Glock from the company or send your's in for upgrade.

Thanks
Chris
[URL="http://www.tac-safe.com/"]CHL San Antonio[/URL]
Tac-Safe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 19:31   #39
Mark Housel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyscott69 View Post
I assume you are referring to lasers?
Lasers do this. But, he is referring to Red Dot sights which also show up trigger control issues.

"I have learned that wisdom can be as simple as substituting facts for assumptions."
Old 01-04-2012, 20:24   #40
Mark Housel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Safe View Post
Genin,

That was a sweet set up on the Glock..if I may ask, what was the process and turn around time to recieve your weapon. Do you purchase the Glock from the company or send your's in for upgrade.

Thanks
Chris
CHL San Antonio
His is a custom slide made for TSD Combat Systems (Suarez International).
They also sell complete Glock pistols now.

Any factory Glock slide can be milled and have a Trijicon RMR (or other RDS) installed exactly the same way.

Turnaround times vary depending on who is doing the work.
Mine are 7-10 days currently.

Tags
ccw, red dot