Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-07-2011, 15:44   #1
Kyle7748

Emergency Ration Bars

Can you survive indefinately, if only food was the issue, off emergency ration bars like MainStay? I'm rethinking the food kept in my BOB and i'm putting together an emergency bug out vest if i ever was seperated from the bag.
Kyle7748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 16:26   #2
JC Refuge
GT Sponsor

Not sure about "indefinitely." But certainly food ration bars will keep you alive for at least weeks and probably months. But I suspect they would eventually take their toll on you in ways such as in your digestive tract.

You can go a long time with little or no food before you break down, compared to the need for good drinking water. Consider that water and the ability to filter/purify water should be your number one priority. If you have a good filter and purification tabs in your vest or bag, along with some food ration bars--you'll be set to sustain yourself for at least a little while in many scenarios.

Safecastle Royal Buyers Club
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Refuge blog
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Win a Case of MH Food - LIKE us on Facebook
JC Refuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 20:54   #3
JC Refuge
GT Sponsor

Good response from "FH Alum" ...

A human can get 100% of their nutrition from vitamins, water and protein alone. Protein is necessary to rebuild cells, water is well-water, and all other nutrients can come form vitamins. A patient who undergoes bariatric surgery for obesity lives only on protein, water and vitamins. The patient can live a very active life including a large amount of exercise on 60g of protein a day, 64+ oz of water and supplements.

Granted the vitamins are not your basic Flintstone chews and are not inexpensive ($20/120 need 4 a day) but with something like Bariatric Fusion or similar brands available at most Bariatric surgery offices and online, a person could live indefinitely.

Protein bars are not the best choice for long term as a person with a normal stomach will be very hungry. (not starving or malnourished but hungry = unsatisfied) Psychologically, having to exist on nothing but bars for longer than a week would have a major impact. State of mind is key in survival.

For short duration periods however, they can be an excellent choice. I keep some in my winter car kit, disaster kit etc. A 20g. protein bar will provide the same as 4-5 ounces of meat or one meal. The trick is to find one that is low sugar. Sugar makes you hungry and wanting to eat more. Add a ration of vitamins, water purifying bottle, crystal light packets (or similar to mask bad taste of emergency water) and a person would be set.

Safecastle Royal Buyers Club

Refuge blog

Win a Case of MH Food - LIKE us on Facebook
JC Refuge is offline   Reply With Quote