Where does the 165 fit ?
Kevin
Carry..
Old 11-28-2011, 19:34   #63
rcd567

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4949shooter View Post
Carry..
The 165 comes the closest to the Winner of the 1987 FBI tests. It's more of an all round weight. Better barrier round than the lighter ones in case you have to shoot through a windshield or automobile panel. Back then they showed the 170 Norma round traveling about 1300fps to be superior "overall" in the testing. They shot through auto glass, plywood, layers of sheet metal, and different densities of clothing and still penetrate ballistic gel a minimum of 12".

This is my main round.
Old 11-28-2011, 19:46   #64
awdxtc

I would like to get some hot gold dots in 165gn for carry this winter, anyone know if underwood can do custom loadings?
awdxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 20:05   #65
4949shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcd567 View Post
The 165 comes the closest to the Winner of the 1987 FBI tests. It's more of an all round weight. Better barrier round than the lighter ones in case you have to shoot through a windshield or automobile panel. Back then they showed the 170 Norma round traveling about 1300fps to be superior "overall" in the testing. They shot through auto glass, plywood, layers of sheet metal, and different densities of clothing and still penetrate ballistic gel a minimum of 12".

This is my main round.
I saw your review on the Underwood ammo site. I will be purchasing some 165's from them in the future. Are you running the 165's with the OEM Glock barrel?

Last edited by 4949shooter; 11-28-2011 at 20:07..
4949shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 20:54   #66
rcd567

Quote:
I saw your review on the Underwood ammo site. I will be purchasing some 165's from them in the future. Are you running the 165's with the OEM Glock barrel?
I am! Brass came out fine. I did buy a Lone Wolf barrel and will test that with them too. My Glock barrel leaves a pretty good size bulge in all cases I shoot out of it. The Underwoods were no different. Since I reload some too, I wanted a tighter chamber so the brass would last longer. There were no smilies in any of the cases from Underwood.

Also not sure about custom loading Gold Dots since they already have the 165 gr. Golden Saber round.

I need to order some more and might throw in some 180 or 200 if they get them done in time so I can shoot a deer with it.
Old 11-28-2011, 22:18   #67
kjunderwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdxtc View Post
I would like to get some hot gold dots in 165gn for carry this winter, anyone know if underwood can do custom loadings?
We're working on adding Gold Dot to our entire production line. 10mm will be the first to get them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Find us on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
kjunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 22:43   #68
inspectorjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjunderwood View Post
We're working on adding Gold Dot to our entire production line. 10mm will be the first to get them.
Mr. Underwood, you are making some very good and long term friends here on the 10 ring. Again, welcome to the forum.
Old 11-28-2011, 23:04   #69
awdxtc

Quote:
Outstanding!!!!! I can not wait to get my noslers. I have to say you ship extremely fast, I ordered last night and they went out first thing today. Thanks again.
Old 11-28-2011, 23:22   #70
rcd567

Quote:
I gladly stand corrected. The gold dots will be great. Although I'm certain the plain old Winchester JHP will stop any street monster I come across. The bonded bullet is just a wee bit more insurance especially if shooting through a barrier.

Oh, and Mr. Underwood...my wife is going to hate you eventually.
Old 11-28-2011, 23:25   #71
awdxtc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcd567 View Post
Oh, and Mr. Underwood...my wife is going to hate you eventually.
No Wife here but I will say the same thing about underwood ammo that I said about Guitar center the first time I was ever in one....I can see this place draining my bank account very quickly.

Last edited by awdxtc; 11-28-2011 at 23:25..
Old 11-28-2011, 23:29   #72
10 fan
10 fan

I practice with 180gr. FMJ and BVAC at 100fps less is alot cheaper than underwood. 500 for 175$ I have had no problems with the last 9 or 10,000 rounds. Does anyone know of a better training ammo?
10 fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 00:11   #73
inspectorjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 fan View Post
I practice with 180gr. FMJ and BVAC at 100fps less is alot cheaper than underwood. 500 for 175$ I have had no problems with the last 9 or 10,000 rounds. Does anyone know of a better training ammo?
I guess I have a different outlook. I don't shoot a lot at the range with my Glock 20 but when I do, I want to shoot the same ammo that will be protecting my life so that not only will I be familiar with it, but, I can also develop a trust in it. What Mr. Underwood is charging for premium ammo, it is a small price to pay for what could mean me or my wife living or dying. If I wanted to shoot a lot at paper, to save money, I would get a .22 long rifle.

PS: At 55 yrs. old, training for me was a lifetime ago. At this point and time, it is just a matter of me keeping in tune every now and then. So my views could be that of a crusty old dude.
Old 11-29-2011, 00:15   #74
post-apocalyptic
magnifi ba$tard

Quote:
I've run more than a few 165gr JHP Underwood 10mm rnds through both my stock '20 barrel and my 6" Glock Hunter. All functioned flawlessly and only some of the fired casings have any discernable hint of a "Glock smile". On those casings; the "smiles" are barely visible, not easily photographed, and have little to no effect on reloadablility... i.e. the 165gr JHP Underwood rnds are loaded to the original full-power, (or full house), 10mm specs, as all Underwood 10mm rnds are.

They're currently my favorite rnd to shoot, (I won't get my 135gr nosler JHP Underwood rnds till Friday ), very versatile and extremely damaging to anything they're fired at... although the best rnd, (of the various factory 10mm I've fired), for turning cover into concealment is Underwood's 180gr FMJ, (>1300 fps)!

Last edited by post-apocalyptic; 11-29-2011 at 00:38..
post-apocalyptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 00:31   #75
10 fan
10 fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorjj View Post
I guess I have a different outlook. I don't shoot a lot at the range with my Glock 20 but when I do, I want to shoot the same ammo that will be protecting my life so that not only will I be familiar with it, but, I can also develop a trust in it. What Mr. Underwood is charging for premium ammo, it is a small price to pay for what could mean me or my wife living or dying. If I wanted to shoot a lot at paper, to save money, I would get a .22 long rifle.

PS: At 55 yrs. old, training for me was a lifetime ago. At this point and time, it is just a matter of me keeping in tune every now and then. So my views could be that of a crusty old dude.
My edc ammo is DT 180gr. bonded defence at 1305fps. Draw from IWB and a shoot controlled under time pressure I dought if most could find or feel the difference including POI,bullet rise or drop ,recoil control,target aquisition on second shot.
10 fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 00:40   #76
awdxtc

Quote:
My edc ammo is DT 180gr. bonded defence at 1305fps. Draw from IWB and a shoot controlled under time pressure I dought if most could find or feel the difference including POI,bullet rise or drop ,recoil control,target aquisition on second shot.
Are you sure that double tap isn't more like 1100 fps...just sayin.
Old 11-29-2011, 00:42   #77
post-apocalyptic
magnifi ba$tard

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdxtc View Post
Are you sure that double tap isn't more like 1100 fps...just sayin.

It depends on when he bought it.. sadly.

Last edited by post-apocalyptic; 11-29-2011 at 00:43..
post-apocalyptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 00:48   #78
awdxtc

As far as if there is anything cheaper...georgia arms has some for like 17.50/50 or if you reload you can make it even cheaper
Old 11-29-2011, 01:12   #79
inspectorjj

Quote:
Well, like I said, I'm just a crusty old dude and it is only my opinion. I just don't believe that Major League Baseball players should have batting practice with whiffle balls. I believe that if you are going to "practice" at saving your life or someone else's life, it would make sense to use the same exact identical tools that you plan to use in a life saving event.
Also with the proven inadequacies printed on Double Taps boxes concerning velocity, I can see why you think there is no difference in felt recoil from the cheaper ammo. Everyone has an opinion, and I respect yours. I just don't see the logic or common sense in it from my limited point of view.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:57   #80
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Fan-friggin-tastic! Swampfox dropped off the face of the earth, and damn near a month later, I still ain't got my ammo. Pretty much saw deer season go to **** over it.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10mm, 10mm ammo, g20, underwood