GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 22:20   #21
SolidBrass
Against Shiny
 
SolidBrass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by post-apocalyptic View Post
assuming materials are not scarce, (and they're not).
Kevin is the man for sure. But I question the materials statement as so many other ammo suppliers claim "scarce" as their reason for not having any available. I'm thinking Georgia arms and other 'low cost' ammo makers.

You can gernally find 180 grn. Even then shopping online I find few options at anything less the top dollar $1-2/shot, anything 200 or over at good speeds are all over $50/50rnd or more when they should cost the same as .45.

Is it really scarce? or simply not enough market. Was Double Tap always this pricey or did it go up as they gained brand recognition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29SF View Post
I ordered 8 boxes of 10mm from Underwood today. I like what you guys are saying about them. Can't wait to try them out.
Avoid the "fully supported chamber" rounds in the 29 of course. You will be happy.
__________________
A free people ought to be armed.
~George Washington

Last edited by SolidBrass; 11-15-2011 at 22:37..
SolidBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 22:49   #22
post-apocalyptic
magnifi ba$tard
 
post-apocalyptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: CO
Posts: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidBrass View Post
Kevin is the man for sure. But I question the materials statement...

...Is it really scarce? or simply not enough market...
Have you not noticed how much more popular 10mm has become in the last couple years? Popularity means sales, which ups production and drops prices. That's why the other service pistol calibers are so much cheaper than 10mm, (even the watered-down stuff).
__________________
I'mma make it rain in hell.
post-apocalyptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 22:54   #23
SolidBrass
Against Shiny
 
SolidBrass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by post-apocalyptic View Post
Have you not noticed how much more popular 10mm has become in the last couple years? Popularity means sales, which ups production and drops prices. That's why the other service pistol calibers are so much cheaper than 10mm, (even the watered-down stuff).
I hope you are right. I think gun people will see the logic of the 10mm in time. They love the 9mm and the 10mm turns it up to 11. ("most amps only go to 10, these go to 11" - Spinal Tap)
__________________
A free people ought to be armed.
~George Washington

Last edited by SolidBrass; 11-15-2011 at 22:56..
SolidBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 23:21   #24
rcd567
Senior Member
 
rcd567's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Near Glenwood, Iowa
Posts: 323
Alright people, move along, nothing to see here, move along, keep moving.


Payday ain't till Friday and I want some ammo still in stock so I can get some geeezzz.
__________________
Don't pick a fight with an old man, if he's too tired to fight, he'll just kill you.
rcd567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 23:33   #25
TKM
Lifetime Membership
Shiny Member
 
TKM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Just another ball of mud.
Posts: 3,272
Cool, we get the idea.

How about cleaning up the language?

It's not dirty if I can't spell, doesn't work.

Family friendly site and all that.
__________________
Hey, I've been in a firefight before!
Well, I was in a fire.
Actually, I was fired from a fry-cook opportunity.
TKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 00:07   #26
arushus
Biggest Member
 
arushus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NE Oklahoma
Posts: 2,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcd567 View Post
Alright people, move along, nothing to see here, move along, keep moving.


Payday ain't till Friday and I want some ammo still in stock so I can get some geeezzz.
haha, maybe if stocks start getting low we should start a thread talking about what crap ammo it is...save it for those of us that know better
__________________
Glock 20SF Gen 3
Glock 27 NiB-X Gen 3
Glock 19 Gen 4
Spike's Tactical Enhanced CHF 16" Mid-Length M4
These Red Letters Help me find my post!!!
arushus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:11   #27
TreyG-20
Second2None
 
TreyG-20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas the only state that matters
Posts: 635
Send a message via Yahoo to TreyG-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcd567 View Post
Alright people, move along, nothing to see here, move along, keep moving.


Payday ain't till Friday and I want some ammo still in stock so I can get some geeezzz.
LOL no kidding im in the same boat as you except i cant my order till next friday. Everyone hush up for a couple weeks. If they make the 135gr noslers i plan on buying every box they have
__________________
"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. Thats ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about? A 9mm may expand but a 10mm will never shrink
TreyG-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:12   #28
TreyG-20
Second2None
 
TreyG-20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas the only state that matters
Posts: 635
Send a message via Yahoo to TreyG-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by arushus View Post
haha, maybe if stocks start getting low we should start a thread talking about what crap ammo it is...save it for those of us that know better
I agree under wood ammo is CRAP!!!
__________________
"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. Thats ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about? A 9mm may expand but a 10mm will never shrink
TreyG-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:15   #29
G29SF
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Highland, IL
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidBrass View Post


Avoid the "fully supported chamber" rounds in the 29 of course. You will be happy.
Why do you say that? I shoot Swamp Fox's hottest stuff (200gr @ 1325 fps) in both my G20 and G29. Underwoods stuff is not that hot. I see Underwood as being a nice compromise -- price vs not-as-hot stuff.
__________________
G20SF: 10mm KKM, .40 S&W KKM, .357 Sig KKM; 9x25 Dillon LWD; 22# spring, Arredondo +4 mag extension
G29SF: 10mm KKM; 9x25 Dillon LWD; 23# spring, Pearce +0 pinky grip
G33: Pearce +0 pinky grip
G32 Gen4
G29SF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:17   #30
G29SF
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Highland, IL
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyG-20 View Post
LOL no kidding im in the same boat as you except i cant my order till next friday. Everyone hush up for a couple weeks. If they make the 135gr noslers i plan on buying every box they have
I ordered six boxes of in-stock ammo. Then I ordered two boxes of the 135gr Noslers. Didn't want to hold back the other boxes because the Noslers were on backorder!
__________________
G20SF: 10mm KKM, .40 S&W KKM, .357 Sig KKM; 9x25 Dillon LWD; 22# spring, Arredondo +4 mag extension
G29SF: 10mm KKM; 9x25 Dillon LWD; 23# spring, Pearce +0 pinky grip
G33: Pearce +0 pinky grip
G32 Gen4
G29SF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 18:10   #31
SolidBrass
Against Shiny
 
SolidBrass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by G29SF View Post
Why do you say that? I shoot Swamp Fox's hottest stuff (200gr @ 1325 fps) in both my G20 and G29. Underwoods stuff is not that hot. I see Underwood as being a nice compromise -- price vs not-as-hot stuff.
"fully supported chamber" means just that, not glocks stock barrel for the 29 which leaves a good chuck of the casing exposed. I bet those 200gr rounds leave some pretty good 'Glock smiles' on the brass in a stock barrel. I would use and aftermarket barrel for anything that powerful.

As to the ammo being 'hot' or not. Nobody listens to facts. You can see it proved on youtube. drsjr1969 is the guy on youtube who has crono'd close to 70 different 10mm rounds.

His top 10 rounds in AVG Energy are as follow: All shot from a completely stock Glock 20

Elite Ammunition 175 GR STHP = 715 ftlbs
Elite Ammunition 200 GR CMJ = 713 ftlbs
Buffalo Bore 180 GR JHP = 705 ftlbs 1,327 ft/sec
Elite Ammunition 65 GR JHP = 685 ftlbs
Underwood Ammo 180 GR JHP = 679 ftlbs 1,303 ft/sec
Underwood Ammo 165 GR JHP = 666 ftlbs 1,348 ft/sec
Double tap 130 GR NozzlerJHP = 612 ftlbs
Reed's A&R 165 GR.............. = 606 ftlbs
Reeds A&R 135 GR............... = 604 ftlbs

Since you can't buy any of the Elite Ammo online (that I can find) and Buffalo Bore cost 2-3x as much. I'll stick with underwood. Lots of "fancy" brands don't even crack 500 ftlbs.

At the end of this video the guy post a spead sheet of his ammo test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGF4-wBXo_M

Swapfire looks great, but is priced for the 1%.
__________________
A free people ought to be armed.
~George Washington

Last edited by SolidBrass; 11-16-2011 at 19:11..
SolidBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 19:21   #32
Morley Menthols
Senior Member
 
Morley Menthols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 125
I shot some Underwood 180 grain hollow points. Seems ok. Gave a detailed description of my testing but the post would not upload. So be it.
__________________
Government conspiracies, hidden agendas and black projects are just myths. The government only has your best interests in mind....just ask anyone that works at Area 51 or Washington, DC.
Morley Menthols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 22:17   #33
G29SF
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Highland, IL
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidBrass View Post
"fully supported chamber" means just that, not glocks stock barrel for the 29 which leaves a good chuck of the casing exposed. I bet those 200gr rounds leave some pretty good 'Glock smiles' on the brass in a stock barrel. I would use and aftermarket barrel for anything that powerful.

As to the ammo being 'hot' or not. Nobody listens to facts. You can see it proved on youtube. drsjr1969 is the guy on youtube who has crono'd close to 70 different 10mm rounds.

His top 10 rounds in AVG Energy are as follow: All shot from a completely stock Glock 20

Elite Ammunition 175 GR STHP = 715 ftlbs
Elite Ammunition 200 GR CMJ = 713 ftlbs
Buffalo Bore 180 GR JHP = 705 ftlbs 1,327 ft/sec
Elite Ammunition 65 GR JHP = 685 ftlbs
Underwood Ammo 180 GR JHP = 679 ftlbs 1,303 ft/sec
Underwood Ammo 165 GR JHP = 666 ftlbs 1,348 ft/sec
Double tap 130 GR NozzlerJHP = 612 ftlbs
Reed's A&R 165 GR.............. = 606 ftlbs
Reeds A&R 135 GR............... = 604 ftlbs

Since you can't buy any of the Elite Ammo online (that I can find) and Buffalo Bore cost 2-3x as much. I'll stick with underwood. Lots of "fancy" brands don't even crack 500 ftlbs.

At the end of this video the guy post a spead sheet of his ammo test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGF4-wBXo_M

Swapfire looks great, but is priced for the 1%.
My question was rhetorical. See my sig line. (I'm fully aware of fully supported chamber barrels.) I also stated (after my question) that I shoot Swamp Fox ammo 200gr XTPs @ 1325 fps (780 ft/lbs if I remember correctly). (I also shoot his 135gr Noslers which are over 800 ft/lbs.) Those are hotter than the Underwood offerings.

Thanks for the concern though.
__________________
G20SF: 10mm KKM, .40 S&W KKM, .357 Sig KKM; 9x25 Dillon LWD; 22# spring, Arredondo +4 mag extension
G29SF: 10mm KKM; 9x25 Dillon LWD; 23# spring, Pearce +0 pinky grip
G33: Pearce +0 pinky grip
G32 Gen4
G29SF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 18:20   #34
SolidBrass
Against Shiny
 
SolidBrass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by G29SF View Post
My question was rhetorical. See my sig line. (I'm fully aware of fully supported chamber barrels.) I also stated (after my question) that I shoot Swamp Fox ammo 200gr XTPs @ 1325 fps (780 ft/lbs if I remember correctly). (I also shoot his 135gr Noslers which are over 800 ft/lbs.) Those are hotter than the Underwood offerings.

Thanks for the concern though.
Those numbers would put swamp fox at the top of the list. Do you have any way of backing up those numbers? What gun were there chrono'd on? Video proof? But I wouldn't considereing the major bands mostly rate below 500 ftlbs I would still call Underwood 'hot'.

More importantly to me is that swamp fox is twice as pricey as underwood. Would you rather have 500 rounds of swamp fox it or 1000 rounds of underwood? For those on a budget that is often the choice.
__________________
A free people ought to be armed.
~George Washington

Last edited by SolidBrass; 11-17-2011 at 18:22..
SolidBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:11   #35
G29SF
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Highland, IL
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidBrass View Post
Those numbers would put swamp fox at the top of the list. Do you have any way of backing up those numbers? What gun were there chrono'd on? Video proof? But I wouldn't considereing the major bands mostly rate below 500 ftlbs I would still call Underwood 'hot'.

More importantly to me is that swamp fox is twice as pricey as underwood. Would you rather have 500 rounds of swamp fox it or 1000 rounds of underwood? For those on a budget that is often the choice.
Yup, it sure does. Swamp Fox (I believe) is the undisputed king of new manufactured 10mm ammo.

As far as backing up the number, no I have not chrono'd anything myself (don't own a chrony). I have never read anything to say his numbers aren't accurate though. If you ever shoot his stuff, you will understand.

Have you been reading this forum much? You seem to be unfamiliar with Swamp Fox ammo...

As far as price, yeah it is expensive. Not something I use at the range for target practice, but it is bad-ass!
__________________
G20SF: 10mm KKM, .40 S&W KKM, .357 Sig KKM; 9x25 Dillon LWD; 22# spring, Arredondo +4 mag extension
G29SF: 10mm KKM; 9x25 Dillon LWD; 23# spring, Pearce +0 pinky grip
G33: Pearce +0 pinky grip
G32 Gen4
G29SF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:49   #36
awdxtc
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 380
Wow that's cheaper than I can buy cci blazer. I am going to order about 6 boxes to try it out.
awdxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:53   #37
awdxtc
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidBrass View Post
Would you rather have 500 rounds of swamp fox it or 1000 rounds of underwood? For those on a budget that is often the choice.
Depends...if my life was on the line I would rather have 10 rounds of swamp fox vs. 1000 rounds of anything.
awdxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:06   #38
arushus
Biggest Member
 
arushus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NE Oklahoma
Posts: 2,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by G29SF View Post
Yup, it sure does. Swamp Fox (I believe) is the undisputed king of new manufactured 10mm ammo.

As far as backing up the number, no I have not chrono'd anything myself (don't own a chrony). I have never read anything to say his numbers aren't accurate though. If you ever shoot his stuff, you will understand.

Have you been reading this forum much? You seem to be unfamiliar with Swamp Fox ammo...

As far as price, yeah it is expensive. Not something I use at the range for target practice, but it is bad-ass!
I agree, well put. I was just about to write something similar. He must not have done must research into their product. Swampfox has the kind of reputation around here where he doesnt have to prove that his numbers meet their stated velocities anymore, that has been gone over time and again. YOU have to prove that his numbers dont add up, not him...
__________________
Glock 20SF Gen 3
Glock 27 NiB-X Gen 3
Glock 19 Gen 4
Spike's Tactical Enhanced CHF 16" Mid-Length M4
These Red Letters Help me find my post!!!

Last edited by arushus; 11-22-2011 at 00:01..
arushus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:10   #39
rcd567
Senior Member
 
rcd567's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Near Glenwood, Iowa
Posts: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by awdxtc View Post
Depends...if my life was on the line I would rather have 10 rounds of swamp fox vs. 1000 rounds of anything.
Not me. I'd take the 1000 rounds. Or even 16 rounds. A few hundred fps isn't as important as shot placement. And if the gremlin is shooting at you, you might need more bullets as you shoot on the move.
__________________
Don't pick a fight with an old man, if he's too tired to fight, he'll just kill you.
rcd567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 13:41   #40
post-apocalyptic
magnifi ba$tard
 
post-apocalyptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: CO
Posts: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by awdxtc View Post
Depends...if my life was on the line I would rather have 10 rounds of swamp fox vs. 1000 rounds of anything.
I'd rather have 1k rnds of even Prvi Partizan Serbian 10mm, (.40 S&W strength), over a mere 10 rnds of SF or anything else.

Regardless; if my life's on the line, I'd prefer a long gun over any pistol in any caliber.
__________________
I'mma make it rain in hell.
post-apocalyptic is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply


Tags
10mm, 10mm ammo, g20, underwood
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 15:08.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,183
342 Members
841 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42