SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-05-2011, 18:42   #1
shotgunred
reloading nut

bicycle and trailer for SHTF

I bought a bicycle to help get into shape. Now that the weather is getting better I canít even look at my bicycle without my four year old wanting to go along, As you can imagine it is not much of a workout when a four year old is riding her own bike with you. My solution was to buy a bicycle trailer. I thought a bicycle trailer makes sense for hauling a kid and working out. Also it could be real handy during SHTF.

When it is empty you donít even notice the trailer on the bike. However when you have some weight back there it is another deal entirely. With my 40 pound daughter I dropped down two gears on level ground. Coming to any grade and it just got miserable. I just went on half of my normal route and I am whipped. Anyone who plans on using a bicycle or a bicycle and trailer better get used to riding it before they need to use it for real.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 19:14   #2
Lugi

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunred View Post
I bought a bicycle to help get into shape. Now that the weather is getting better I can’t even look at my bicycle without my four year old wanting to go along, As you can imagine it is not much of a workout when a four year old is riding her own bike with you. My solution was to buy a bicycle trailer. I thought a bicycle trailer makes sense for hauling a kid and working out. Also it could be real handy during SHTF.

When it is empty you don’t even notice the trailer on the bike. However when you have some weight back there it is another deal entirely. With my 40 pound daughter I dropped down two gears on level ground. Coming to any grade and it just got miserable. I just went on half of my normal route and I am whipped. Anyone who plans on using a bicycle or a bicycle and trailer better get used to riding it before they need to use it for real.
Not for nothing but you should cherish these days....they don't last forever, my son is 16 and my daughter more or less ran away from home. Forget it. I think you'd move fast with a pack on your back...a trailer would most def slow ya down.

Last edited by Lugi; 05-05-2011 at 19:15..
Lugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 22:23   #3
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Like everything, there are positives and negatives.

A bicycle will kill those not use to it in short order. If you add a pack it is worse than adding a trailer.

This year I have been bicycling with camera equipment. This is hard on my body, but I am getting some good shots.

Additionally the devil is in the details. What trailer?
Old 05-06-2011, 07:56   #4
Mr.Pliskin

They also make a bike that clamps on to the back or yours. It has only one wheel and they can still peddle, its basically a regular kids bike without the fornt wheel that clamps on to the back of yours (couldnt figure out how to describe it). I cant seem to find it on google but I know they have them at Acedemy Sports.
Mr.Pliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:09   #5
cowboy1964

I still want a bike that can ride on train rails. You could cover serious ground quickly with that.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:12   #6
mac66
Plant the seed

I had a bike trailer when the kids were small. Even used it one time (30 years ago) to haul gear on a 200 mile ride across the state.

Adding weight is a killer but it can be done with conditioning. I bet if the OP continued to pull that trailer he would be up to riding his regular route in about a month.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:07   #7
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Much better than walking. You can hike 2 miles an hour , but even weighed down with a trailer you could probably average 10mph on a bike. There are quiet a few people who bicycle across America over the summer, using a trailer and/or panniers. All you need beyond the usual BOB stuff is inner tubes, pump, a repair kit, and maybe a tarp to protect your bike from rain when you stop for camp.

Last edited by Bilbo Bagins; 05-06-2011 at 10:08..
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 16:17   #8
rich e

I'm too out of shape to go backpacking...But my Raliegh comfort bike with front and rear rack and panniers hauled 50 lbs of camping equipment,food and water 60-70 miles a couple years ago...We spent the weekend on the PA rails to trails...Awesome time..

Rich
Old 05-07-2011, 17:53   #9
PBCounty

Send a message via AIM to PBCounty
I like the bike idea....and think it could come in handy for a lot of people. With my local off road terrain though that bike is gonna need 44" mudders. I can only assume that on the road travel is going to cross the vision of many other people who may be interested in what you have in your pack / trailer.
Old 05-07-2011, 18:41   #10
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCounty View Post
I like the bike idea....and think it could come in handy for a lot of people. With my local off road terrain though that bike is gonna need 44" mudders. I can only assume that on the road travel is going to cross the vision of many other people who may be interested in what you have in your pack / trailer.
It depends on the SHTF and your location.

You could have rode across DC or out of NYC with gold bricks just after 911 and no one would have F with you.

I would not have walked around NO with a backpack, let alone a on a bicycle.
Old 05-07-2011, 18:44   #11
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Only if its a Tactical Trailer, painted in Khaki or Black. Check the 5.11 catalogue.
G29Reload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 21:54   #12
IndianaMatt

I've always thought the bike concept as a bugout vehicle was a great one.

Most likely, any Long Emergency scenario will presumably involve a huge fossil fuel shortage.

For those of us that need to get somewhere in that situation, a bicycle may be the perfect conveyance: easy to store long-term, anyone can become a proficient bike mechanic with minimal training, can cover great distances if you are in shape, and can load a pretty decent amount of gear.

Best of all, fossil fuel independence!
IndianaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 23:29   #13
rich e

On one weekend we probably did 50-60 miles total....Thats starting Saturday around noon and heading home Sunday around 5pm.....There were a couple hills that were just too steep to peddle with my loaded down bike...(we were temp. off the trails)...I would just push my bike until I crested the hill moving at hikers pace....

Then down the other side we would be cruising 15-18 mph....On the flats I average 7-10 mph....Slight uphill 6-8 mph....I could never hump a 50lb backpack no where near that distance..

My Raliegh was $350...Front and rear heavy duty racks $60.00...Both sets of panniers $80-90....One of the best investments I've ever made...

Rich
Old 11-15-2011, 20:47   #14
g27_mengi

I'm an avid cyclist, and a long-distance commuter who knows how worthless our highway systems are in a 'crisis' (an inch of snow, etc.). Thinking about buying a folding bike (Dahon, etc.) and tossing it in the car.
Old 11-19-2011, 21:05   #15
Akita
gone

Worst possible case, you just walk alongside the bike. Beats the crap out of carrying the gear!
Akita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 21:49   #16
bdcochran

I purchased one of the game carts that is advertised from time to time. I went to a blacksmith and had him attach a collar to the cart that could in turn be fastened to any bicycle on the vertical portion under the seat. This gives a hauling capacity of a couple of hundred pounds. I don't know how to post pictures here, but if some one wants one, just shoot me an email address.

I have seen everything probably possible as I used to eat at a lunch counter on the main north - south route along the California coast.

One guy had two carts in tandem behind his bike. He travels up and down the coast on a permanent basis. Of course some people load the bikes up up with baskets, luggage carriers with expandable straps or haul baby strollers behind.

One guy my age has been riding around on his bicycle for over 37 years collecting bottles and cans for turn in.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:22   #17
Dexters

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcochran View Post
I don't know how to post pictures here, but if some one wants one, just shoot me an email address.

You can post a link.
http://www.amazon.com/Hunting-Deer-G...198217-0293859

That is a smart piece of gear even without a bike.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:26   #18
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g27_mengi View Post
I'm an avid cyclist, and a long-distance commuter who knows how worthless our highway systems are in a 'crisis' (an inch of snow, etc.). Thinking about buying a folding bike (Dahon, etc.) and tossing it in the car.

Excellent idea.

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
UneasyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:37   #19
pugman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCounty View Post
I'll ask.

Do they make a 44" tire for Mountain Bikes or is that a typo?

As for a bike, for a SHTF event, couple of things to keep in mind.

Do NOT buy a top of the line bike...heck even a nice bike for that matter. If you are talking a true SHTF event remember when you are riding it at any time someone could jack you and you could be leaving that nice $1,000 ride on the side of the road. Which brings up the second point.

Compared to walking, I would think you are much more vulnerable.

Third, take a hint from NYC messengers. Don't buy some Krypton lock which can be defeated with a pen....or even a cable lock. It will be heavy, but get yourself a nice 3-4' section of heavy duty Grade 80 chain and lock you can throw over your shoulder. You know darn well there will be people just walking around with a bolt cutter looking for stuff to take.

A bike is only worth as much as the chain used to keep in place.

Last edited by pugman; 11-20-2011 at 10:37..
pugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:47   #20
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akita View Post
Worst possible case, you just walk alongside the bike. Beats the crap out of carrying the gear!
Assuming we are riding on a road or normal bicycle path I totally agree.

If there is a need to go off road,......