Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-13-2011, 13:56   #41
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickE10mm View Post
Hey guys. Killed a buck with my Fusion longslide this morning! More to follow!
Great job Nick. I look forward to pics and a report.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 14:20   #42
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooga View Post
In terms of the extended length barrels for hunting 10mms, is that to maximize muzzle velocity?
Yep, and accuracy. You can squeeze anywhere from 50-100+fps per inch.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 14:21   #43
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

I almost had a shot at a buck. My buddy fired on two does the buc ran the other way. Then, it got too damn hot.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 15:09   #44
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcap500 View Post
Load(s) details???
Use the search function. I've already pasted on this and the reloading forum 50 times.
Old 11-13-2011, 15:10   #45
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooga View Post
In terms of the extended length barrels for hunting 10mms, is that to maximize muzzle velocity?
You betcha.

...and of course some of us load a little hotter and the giant under supported chamber on the stock Glock barrels doesn't work too well with that hobby.

Last edited by Kegs; 11-13-2011 at 15:11..
Kegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:18   #46
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

135 grain nosler @ 1700 fps = win!

Filled my doe tag today with the 135 nosler. 1 shot, 1 kill. Get this: it was a through and through the lungs. Field dressing now, pics shortly. Deer ran about 50y down a hill, left a nice easy blood trail to find from start to finish and expired fairly quickly.

I will add that this is a tough, Michigan deer. 12 gauge slugs are known to bounce off the hide of these deer. They are not 10mm proof though. :-P

Last edited by Kegs; 11-16-2011 at 08:22..
Old 11-16-2011, 08:33   #47
harley45

Awesome can't wait for pics!
harley45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:49   #48
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

Some quick pics:

The 10 Ring

Entrance wound from the 135 grain nosler (shot made from about 10y):

The 10 RingMore to come soon - must finish dressing - hopefully, will get some pics of the lungs, where I am sure there is just massive damage.

I don't have a scale and it is hard to get an idea of the size of this doe - it's average for around here - maybe 150-160 lbs. This is a complete guess based on size and loading it into the yard cart. :-)

Last edited by Kegs; 11-16-2011 at 09:52..
Old 11-16-2011, 10:41   #49
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

What the entry wound looks like from the inside of the deer:

The 10 Ring

What the exit wound looks like from the inside:

The 10 Ring

(note that one piece of rib bone is just blown away - I would show you pictures of the lungs, but basically I couldn't get a very good photo of that without getting the camera all bloody - the hole in the lungs looks about the same as the exit hole - give or take, 2-2 1/2" of material just devastated.)

I suppose this could have gone differently if a poor shot had been made, but the little 135 grain bullet performed much differently than I had expected. Based on what it did to the ribs on the far side after dumping much of the energy out inside the deer, I would not be concerned about hunting deer with this load. Even if it hit a rib on the near side, it would blow through it like paper and continue on with its devastating damage. Now what I don't know is what would have happened if the bullet would have hit bones in the shoulder, etc. Would it have turned into shrapnel or blown right through it and taken out the heart? I really don't know. All I know is that this is not what I would have expected with this load - I expected major damage on the near side - not the far side. Now we all know what to expect in real world performance...
Old 11-16-2011, 11:10   #50
B.Reid

I have killed 2 mule deer does with my G20, sorry no pics. I just picked up a Kimber stainless target in 10mm, this will be my new hunting handgun.

Earth has always been a dangerous place to live. Be prepared!
B.Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:28   #51
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegs View Post
Filled my doe tag today with the 135 nosler. 1 shot, 1 kill. Get this: it was a through and through the lungs. Field dressing now, pics shortly. Deer ran about 50y down a hill, left a nice easy blood trail to find from start to finish and expired fairly quickly.

I will add that this is a tough, Michigan deer. 12 gauge slugs are known to bounce off the hide of these deer. They are not 10mm proof though. :-P
Good job Kegs. Good shot. Good bullet performance. Good clean kill. Very nice report.

I might have missed it, but did you recover the bullet?

I agree with you that I would have expected a large shallow wound track rather than what you experienced.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:40   #52
arushus
Biggest Member

Congrats and thanks for sharing kegs! Did the bulletget deflected up somehow? The entrance wound is fairly low on the ribs, while the exit wounds is high, just a few inches from the spine, unless Im looking at it completely wrong...
Spike's Tactical Enhanced CHF 16" Mid-Length M4
These Red Letters Help me find my post!!!
arushus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:51   #53
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Kegs, congrats very nice deer, should make for some realy good eating! Also great report! It is hard to say just how or what to expect performance wise from various bullets until you actually put them to the test!

That is the same results I saw from a deer I shot at 130 yards using the 200gr XTP from a sabot shot from my muzzle loader (2000 fps mz should have impacted at about 1375-1400 fps), however with good expansion, I recovered the bullet barely poking thru the skin far side!

Good bread, good meat, good lord let's eat!...Once again congrats!
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:30   #54
Jitterbug

Nice shot Kegs!
Jitterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:52   #55
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Good job, Kegs.

I have my own story, pics and details.... just too busy right now to put it all together. The 200gr XTP put a massive entrance hole in my deer, as well.

More later...
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 13:04   #56
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arushus View Post
Congrats and thanks for sharing kegs! Did the bulletget deflected up somehow? The entrance wound is fairly low on the ribs, while the exit wounds is high, just a few inches from the spine, unless Im looking at it completely wrong...

To all: Thank you. I am thankful for this wholesome nutritious goodness.

Arushus: Good eye - I was actually hunting on a hill, above the deer, so that makes sense.

I haven't recovered the bullet yet - not sure if I want to track it down. I have a metal detector, and may be able to find it. It is a pass-through - bullet in, did its damage and blew right through. Nosler ashtray...whodathunk?

Last edited by Kegs; 11-16-2011 at 13:10..
Old 11-16-2011, 13:10   #57
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Good job Nick, and all you old boys that got your deer with the 10mm.

May have some turkey pics for ya if I ever get down behind the house to shoot one. haven't had the time. Light weight FMJ stuff in the 10mm and "craw shot" works great on 'em. Even at the butt of the 'folded wing', pass thru's and NO meat damage. I'll see if I get the time...

Again, good shooting you guys and congrats to all you pistolero's 10 style.

CM

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 15:17   #58
harley45

I love 10mm hunting pics, every time some tells me it's not enough gun I send them here!
harley45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 23:25   #59
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Kegs. Good job. I am glad you finally got to shoot some game with your G29.
Good placement and good report as well.

Now go and enjoy the 'good meat' !

It's broke in now. One 'notch' for ya amigo ! Hope ya get many more in the years to come.

CM

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:25   #60
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

Thanks CM, Had venison steak last night w/my wife. Quite tasty. Lots of work in between butchering, but freezer is full now, so we're good for 2 months at least in terms of meat.

Hope everything is nice down there in the longhorn state.

Best,
Kegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonMan View Post
Kegs. Good job. I am glad you finally got to shoot some game with your G29.
Good placement and good report as well.

Now go and enjoy the 'good meat' !

It's broke in now. One 'notch' for ya amigo ! Hope ya get many more in the years to come.

CM