GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-13-2011, 18:52   #41
JK-linux

Smith & Wesson Model 10 with 2 rounds in it.

Survival/Preparedness Forum
JK-linux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 19:03   #42
Maine1

If/when SHTF, there is NO time to "grab" jack *****. (or that is the way i bet) I'll elbow check the g-20 i have IWB. Two 20 round mags ride in my back pocket. More ammo and mags are in other clothing in cooler weather, and in my truck.

Lets say there IS time to grab something else...it will be more ammo for the G-20, and other supllies.
Wolf spider and I am of similar thinking on this.
- 10mm gives good power and usable range in a flatter trajectory than 45.
This is important in a world where i can't have a rifle to hand for whatever reason.
Come SHTF, the usual " so and so will smack your genitals for taking a shot at XX yards" goes out the window. keeping pursuers heads down to gain distance is a GOOD thing. Nailing one in the chest a few times at 100 yrds is better.
- whichever handgun you choose, get/load/stock as much ammo and components as you can, ditto with magazines and spare parts, ect.
- 40 cal barrel for the 10mm is a given. i love mine. in a total collapse, the 357 sig barrel would be good to have. During the ammo shortage, boxes of 357 sig sat on bare shelves all alone in my area.
- carry the damn thing...NOW. When SHTF you can't fall back on your years of CC experience with a given firearm if you have not commited to carrying it beforehand. SHTF is NOT the time to be putting real carry wear on gear. I tend to think that those who don not/cannot carry are likely to end up with nothing come SHTF, unless tjhey plan very well for this contingency. I would if i were in that situation.
- the Glock is a good tough gun, and between the 10mm and its 45 companions, i have between 10-20K rounds downrange in trainign and practice.
- reloading is the solution to the most asked 10mm question, and makes shooting the 10 as cheap as any other caliber. The only thing diferent is that i chase brass more diligently.
Maine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 19:10   #43
crimsonaudio
15 or 30?

My Glock 22 with my Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel and 9mm mags. If I run out of .40S&W I can simply run it as a 9mm.
Old 11-13-2011, 19:15   #44
ArmoryDoc

TEOTWAKI ? Well, if things are that bad, I'm going to go out in style. Make mine a Series 70 Colt 1911. Lotsa mags. Lotsa ammo so I'm set. Reliable, dependable and nostalgic.

I love the smell of Napalm in the morning.

Last edited by ArmoryDoc; 11-13-2011 at 19:15..
ArmoryDoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 19:54   #45
ar15_dude
Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by runcible68 View Post
... I also have four mags.
OP, for TEOTW, I think you want more than four mags. Even for a nice day at the range, I'd want a lot more than four mags! I suggest an even dozen is a place to start.

As for the post about an FN 5.7, if you use subsonic ammo, it may be quiet out of the suppressor, but it will have all the energy of a 22 short!

And for me, like many of my fellow Glock appreciators, it will be a Gen 3 G17 carried in a CompTac holster, with LOTS of loaded mags.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. -- George Washington
ar15_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 19:56   #46
Wolf Spyder
Gun Activist

Send a message via AIM to Wolf Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine1 View Post

If / When SHTF, there is NO time to "grab" Jack Sh:t. (or that is the way I bet) ... Wolf spider and I are of similar thinking on this.
We agree on all kinds of things, Maine1.

I have often preached on this very subject in other threads. If it is an "event", lets say a solar flare nukes half the globe, then there will be total chaos with a quickness!! The solar flare will destroy most of the electronic devises. This will kill most vehicles, cell phone, iPods, and other such stuff. But more importantly it will kill cash registers, ATM's, refrigeration, water pumps, the National Power Grid... All the planes in the air might crash... all at once. Get the picture? It could be mass chaos... almost like Godzilla stomping thru Tokyo. Everyone in total panic.

You will be on foot, with what ever you have in your pockets, trying to get home. You and everyone else will be thinking one thing, Oh Sh:t, this is IT!!! What am I going to do now? Where are the kids, at school? Where is the spouse, at home or at work? How far away are you, from them, from home? Not too many people think about this stuff before it happens.

You office types, have you ever tried to walk home from work in those dress shoes you got on your feet? What is the weather like on that day?

How far do you drive to work? How long does it take? Now try it on foot...

Quote:

- 10mm gives good power and usable range in a flatter trajectory than 45.
Yup.

Quote:

- 40 cal barrel for the 10mm is a given. i love mine. in a total collapse, the 357 SIG barrel would be good to have.
I don't have a .40 S&W barrel. I shoot .40 S&W out of my stock Glock 20 barrel with out any issues. Granted, I don't do it very often, but it can be done.

Quote:

- carry the damn thing...NOW. When SHTF you can't fall back on your years of CC experience with a given firearm if you have not committed to carrying it beforehand.
This is an excellent point. I carry mine, do the rest of you guys and gals carry your's?

Quote:

SHTF is NOT the time to be putting real carry wear on gear.

I tend to think that those who don not/cannot carry are likely to end up with nothing come SHTF, unless they plan very well for this contingency.
I don't know, does this qualify as carry wear? My EDC for more than 10 years.

@ Everyone;

Sometimes it is fun to think about what you would do... You puff out your chest, quare up your jaw, and proclaim; "I'm tough, I could do it..." How many of us live it, every day?

"Only large manly men and very dangerous mythical creatures can handle the raw power of the 10mm"
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

Last edited by Wolf Spyder; 11-14-2011 at 16:42..
Wolf Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 20:03   #47
j-glock22

My G17/TLR3 and spare mags and my few 33rdrs and a few extra boxes of ammo that I can carry with me if on the go...
j-glock22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 20:57   #48
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post

Much like LG1's reasoning on the suppressed 5.7, I'd take along the titanium abraxas silencer as well, along with a whole bunch of mags.

(We have either 47 or 52 9mm glock mags; last purchase was five, and I don't recall if that count was before that purchase.)

Advantage imo goes to the suppressed 9mm over a suppressed 5.7 due to subsonic/supersonic considerations.

In order to get seriously-quiet suppression requires subsonic velocity, and a 147 grain bullet at 1000fps is substantially more capable

than a 40-grain bullet at 1000fps.

But the scenario is Zombies..

..accurate headshots are the "rule of the day"..

..and the sectional density of the tip of a supersonic profiled, but subsonic velocity .22 (i.e. SS-109)

.. is more than enough to penetrate the skull & do enough brain damage to drop the undead...IMO.

A subsonic 147 gr 9mm will not make them deader..

..besides they are already dead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat 36 View Post
If not for the available ammo issue, LG's 5.7 might be the 'perfect' handgun for a world gone mad.

Trust me...I have made sure my ammo is more than available!

And consider the points I made below!

Good points all..

..but when the zombies come out inmasse for their nightly depredation..

..I want to be able to quickly perform headshots at a sizable standoff distance..

..with a minimum of magazine changes, recoil, flash, blast & barrel rise..

..due to the inherent capabilities of the suppressed 5.7

With a head mounted Gen III+ NVD & pistol mounted variable intensity Corsak IR Laser..

..combined with night shooting skills..

..I might actually get to use all of the fairly considerable amounts of 5.7 ammo I stock..

..instead of maybe 1/2 a mag & game over just before becoming a zombie?

That being said..

..many are assuming they will "make the cut"..

..but if attacked enmasse..

..just how effective are your night shooting skills?

Do you practice shooting at in the dead of night where it is so dark you cannot see your hand in front of your face??

Do you realize how much muzzle flash affects your natural night vision & subsequent follow-up shots??

Do you realize how disorientating blast combined with flash is at night, especially if in a building or vehicle?

Have you practiced hitting multiple targets positioned at 180, 270 & 360 degree patterns under these conditions??

Do you practice shooting while moving under these conditions??

Have you tried headshots quickly under these conditions??

Have you practiced distance shooting with a pistol under these conditions?

Another good reason for a suppressor..

(quicker follow up shots due to muzzle damping, almost total elimination of flash & blast, etc)

..and another good reason for NVD & IR Lasers..

(pinpoint accuracy without having to have a pistol blocking part of your FOV, better situational awareness due to being able to focus on your surroundings instead of the front sight)..

..which is hard enough to do in daytime..

..much less at night under life threatening conditions with multiple targets.

Thank Goodness the thought of engaging "Zombie Hordes" with just a pistol is good online entertainment & a mental exercise..

..because the learning curve would be very steep & razor sharp for the unprepared! (aka freshly minted zombies)

That being said..

..the points I made about night shooting have real world applications as well!

And you don't have to own expensive and/or high tech goodies to hone your night shooting skills..

..BDCochran has written much on using conventional optics to identify & engage targets during low-light & night conditions..

..and even head mounted LED lights can be used to identify & engage targets at night at extended distances.

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"

Last edited by LongGun1; 11-13-2011 at 21:19..
LongGun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 22:42   #49
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15_dude View Post

As for the post about an FN 5.7, if you use subsonic ammo, it may be quiet out of the suppressor, but it will have all the energy of a 22 short!

Though subsonics have their limitations..

I like to think of it as a SS-109 traveling approximately 700 mph..

..more than enough velocity & energy to penetrate a decaying skull..

.. & damage what is inside.

For this particular scenario...it should work well...IMO

YMMV

Old 11-13-2011, 23:06   #50
quake

True enough. I wasn't taking 'zombie' at literal meaning - I was thinking "intellectual" zombies; you know, ows types...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongGun1 View Post
...a decaying skull... & damage what is inside.
A registered Democrat...?

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by quake; 11-13-2011 at 23:08..
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 23:23   #51
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
True enough. I wasn't taking 'zombie' at literal meaning - I was thinking "intellectual" zombies; you know, ows types...

A registered Democrat...?

Old 11-14-2011, 00:01   #52
Maine1

Hell yes, Wolf, i carry the G-20 EDC. I swapped from a G-21 that i had carried about 10 years, about 2007. I THOUGHT i loved my 45. i REALLY love my G-20.

I still use the 21 as a duty weapon, and for going to classes with. Its my backup for now, but i'm going to get another g-20 this year, and possibly a third.

A while ago, i sat down and said "if XYZ happened, what would i want on my person?" made my list, and made those items my EDC. I have no regrets for walking around with 5-6# of stuff in my pockets. Ocasionally there are some drawbacks, but not too many.

Last edited by Maine1; 11-14-2011 at 19:02..
Maine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 00:44   #53
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

Quote:
Originally Posted by runcible68 View Post
1) The world has gone to Hades in a hand basket. North Korean Nazi Hippie Zombies have engulfed the planet and you only have time to grab ONE gun.
Kel-Tec PMR-30 in .22 magnum with 30 round mags, because North Korean Nazi Hippie Zombies only weigh about 80 pounds and rarely reach 5' in height, but they sure are numerous.

So a high-cap varmint pistol is the answer.

But my real answer is my Glock 17.
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 00:54   #54
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

If it's my current guns, I would be torn between my duty G34/M6 light-laser and factory night sights because I have tons of mags and ammo, or my newest acquisition, the m57 tokarev because the round can penetrate armor... Not sure if that's a big deal but I see a lot of mad max types in makeshift body armor and you can never be too sure.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:45   #55
NMPOPS

Send a message via ICQ to NMPOPS
My Glock 19 w/ 6 mags and my back pack full of ammo. The 19 because I like it and it will also take 17 mags and 9mm ammo is compact and I can carry more 9 than 40 or 45.

Sent from my Ally
Old 11-14-2011, 04:58   #56
Aceman

HK USP 9mm. Is there any other choice, really?
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:49   #57
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
Kel-Tec PMR-30 in .22 magnum with 30 round mags, because North Korean Nazi Hippie Zombies only weigh about 80 pounds and rarely reach 5' in height, but they sure are numerous.

So a high-cap varmint pistol is the answer.

The 30 rd .22 Magnums sure are interesting..

(multiple Grendel P-30 owner since the 1990's)

..but since the cartridge was designed for a rifle (lets say 24")

..out of a pistol there is a significant loss of velocity..

..while having a prodigious amount of blast....

.. & flash...even in daylight!

At night it looks like the Missouri is firing a salvo broadside!

Here is a interesting video comparing the bullet performance of a 5.7 pistol (5" barrel)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0npFX...eature=related

..against a .22 Magnum rifle (24" barrel)

Last edited by LongGun1; 11-14-2011 at 08:13..
Old 11-14-2011, 07:15   #58
Glock30Eric
.45 ACP

Glock 30 cuz it is .45 ACP. I know it's heavy but it will do the job. I'll take my Rossi 6 1/2 inch .357mag with me for a little long distance shooting.
Glock30Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:20   #59
eracer
Where's my EBT?

My suppressed G17
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:28   #60
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

The grab and go shelf on the safe has a G17 for me and a Beretta Vertec for my wife. Sometimes I wonder if we should have the same platform. If so, I'd be more inclined to switch to her platform.

Last edited by BuckyP; 11-14-2011 at 07:28..
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote