SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:58   #1
654Boomer

Suppressor Ownership - Estate Planning Questions

Greetings,

I am curious what happens to a suppressor(s)/NFA items when a person is deceased. Believe me, I am not trying to sound macabre, I am just curious-it is something I sincerely never thought about or have seen any questions asked about this topic on various forums. This could affect future purchases of NFA items for me.

For example, if a person owned an SBR, a pistol supressor, etc., and died, what happens to the item(s)? Would the spouse or an adult child have to apply for a tax stamp and receive BATF approval to keep the item(s)? Would the spouse just turn it in to a Class III dealer for sale?

I would think that something would have to be done to document the change in ownership so that the spouse/family is not liable for illegal possession or transfer of the item(s).

Would a trust make ownership any different?
654Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:22   #2
Zak Smith
3Gunner

Form 5 transfer to whoever inherits it. Alternatively, goes with Trust if it's set up that way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Zak Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 21:35   #3
654Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak Smith View Post
Form 5 transfer to whoever inherits it. Alternatively, goes with Trust if it's set up that way.
Greetings,

Thanks for the reply!

That sounds a lot better than having to immediately sell the items. I had never heard of a Form 5 transfer.
654Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 21:55   #4
Zak Smith
3Gunner

Form 5 is for tax-free transfers (other than SOT to SOT transfers), such as inheritance and transferring to government entities.

Zak Smith is offline   Reply With Quote