Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:22   #1
Honor Bound

New G36 range report

So Iíve listened to a lot of the debate back and forth between the G36 and the G26. Both seem very popular and have their own dedicated following. My decision to go with the G36 was primarily based on the 45 ACP round. I already own/have owned a G30 and G21. Enjoyed both very much. I also own a 1911 that is a dream to shoot.

Iíve always leaned towards the 45 ACP. Recently I read the conglomerate of postings from the Atlanta ME and that has pretty much sealed any questions I might have regarding the 9mm vs 45 ACP debate.

http://www.gunthorp.com/Terminal%20B...a%20morgue.htm

I had read some postings about reliability issues with the G36. Itís been said that there are some lemons out there. That said, I took the risk and bought one anyway. I also added the Pierce +1 magazine extensions to my magazines. Hereís my report.

The first trip to the range I shot 250 rnds of WWB and 12 rnds of Rem Golden Saber 185 +P.

First impression was it had much more recoil than the G30. I have big hands and itís a bit harder to get a solid hold on the slim G36 frame. My groups were not great at first. After trying a few different grips I found one that worked for me and it was a little easier to handle and the groups improved.

My first trip yielded 2 FTLs and 2 FTFs. Throughout out the day I was conscious not to limp wrist my grip. Not flawless, but not a huge concern either. Notably, the Golden Sabers, my SD CCW round of choice, had no issues.

For my next trip to the range I brought a box of Winchester SXZ training rounds, some Remington UMC JHPs and some Golden Saber 230 P. I also added a Pachmayr #5 slip-on grip.

I shot a total of 150 rnds that day. I did have a problem with one of the UMC rounds loading, but after a couple repeated FFLs with the same round, I determined it was the round and not the gun/shooter. Also, at risk of stating the obvious, the Golden Saber 230 P was much more comfortable to shoot than the GS 185 +P.

So, trying some different ammo seamed to help. I plan to continue to feed it different stuff and eventually return to the WWB to see if it does better after a break in period. Also, the slip on grip did make a noticeable difference in my ability to control the recoil.

Notes:
Iím a huge fan of the TruGlo night sites. They are by far the brightest thing Iíve seen on the market. Theyíre great for both day and night/dark shooting. Unfortunately, the design of the G36 doesnít support the TruGlo sites without some modification to the nut (grinding if down) that holds the front site down inside the slide.

Any comments from G36 owners on their experience with TruGlo or any other night sites?

I noticed that the size and shape of the G36 is almost exactly the same as my wifeís G19. The G36 also fits very well into a Galco SILHOUETTE HIGH RIDE HOLSTER for a G21. http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.as...D=973&GunID=46

Iím glad to hear any of your commentsÖ

And props to Eric to weathering the storm and getting GlockTalk back online in short order. Bravo Zulu!

HB

Last edited by Honor Bound; 02-12-2012 at 13:18..
Honor Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 17:45   #2
ltj9296

Hello, like you I am a fan of the 45 acp for SD. Sorry to hear about your problems, my G36 has been 100% since new. My round count is close to 1k now. Do you think the +1 mags could have a negative impact on reliability? Not sure, I have never used them. Hope it gets better. For me, the G36 is great for ccw.
Old 05-07-2011, 17:52   #3
tuica

I have only added a Pearce +0 to my G36 mag. I did have slide locking back problems with an older mag. that I purchased used. I discovered the problem was the older mag follower, and after upgrading that part the gun has worked flawlessly. The G36 has become my main EDC in a Glock Sport/Combat Holster. Good Luck.
Old 05-07-2011, 18:30   #4
swampfox

G36

Got a new in box G36 in 01/11- fte and ftf- did not trust as a ccw. Have other 45acp pistols so I traded it for a S&W 38 Bodyguard for the wife. Dealer gave me an even trade.
swampfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:31   #5
Pecos Bill

I love my G36 Shoots everything but I am done with Winchester bullets.

Had a cap only fire. Two out of my 9mm. The bullet left the barrel but just barely. One in the G36 and I had to push the bullet out. I've heard of others having trouble but never before. Well, never again for me. Thank goodness the round was not strong enough to cycle the guns or I might have had a real problem.
Pecos Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 20:18   #6
Glock Master

My G36 has been 100%.
Glock Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 19:57   #7
glockman9mm

Just shot mine tonight. Did some quick-draw- from concealment- rapid fire drills and it ran awsome. When i shoot it slow for accuracy it is hard on my hands but when i shoot defensivly- rapid fire- i don't even notice it. can shoot it as fast as any of my glocks- which is pretty fast
Ruger revolvers, M77, and Mini-14 tactical
henry, win, marlin, browning leverguns
glockman9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:03   #8
Honor Bound

So here’s a follow up with the new G36…

My third trip to the range went great. I fired 200 rounds without a hiccup.

100 rounds of Remington UMC and 100 rounds of Remington UMC JHPs. So now I have 600 rounds through the gun. Haven’t had a failure in over 400 rounds.

I starting to believe it was the WWB that is the problem.

My accuracy still doesn’t match my G30, which is my favorite Glock, but it is improving. I’ve decided to move forward with the TruGlo sights and follow some guidance to make them work.
Honor Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 18:41   #9
Lockback
Polymerlicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honor Bound View Post
So hereís a follow up with the new G36Ö

My third trip to the range went great. I fired 200 rounds without a hiccup.

100 rounds of Remington UMC and 100 rounds of Remington UMC JHPs. So now I have 600 rounds through the gun. Havenít had a failure in over 400 rounds.

I starting to believe it was the WWB that is the problem.

My accuracy still doesnít match my G30, which is my favorite Glock, but it is improving. Iíve decided to move forward with the TruGlo sights and follow some guidance to make them work.

I've had one failure with my G36: WWB hardball.
Lockback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 18:56   #10
JoeG19

Runs like a top.

I have had no failures of any kind w/ my 36. I have shot Remington Golden Saber 230gr; Remington UMC; PMC and I am in the middle of a value pak of Federal American Eagle 230. About 450 rounds total. I have Pearce +0s on all of my mags. My sights are shown below and are excellent for quick pick-up. - 'ole joe

Thin to Win - G36 Club

LFI-1
The Only Latin I Know:
Montani Semper Liberi
Semper Fidelis
www.usmcmuseum.org
JoeG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 17:43   #11
doneroman
SheepDogs-R-Us

Nice review. Thanks for the follow-up.
doneroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:15   #12
RebelYell1861

Does anyone know if there is a grip sleeve made specifically for the G36? All the Hogue grip sleeves seem to only be for other models. Will a trimmed down version of the Hogue Handall work, or is it too large for the G36 frame?
RebelYell1861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 21:12   #13
MIKES LAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockback View Post
I've had one failure with my G36: WWB hardball.
Yesterday, I bought a G36 used, but not very abused, fire date of 2/11, and put 100 rounds of WWB hardball through it today with three FTE's; at round 85, Willie, the range honcho, thought there was a build up of residue on the ejector and we cleaned it and it finished up all right.

I had cleaned it pretty well last night and the first FTE was at about round 30 so I am thinking more along the line that WWB 230 gr. .45 hardball doesn't have the juice to push the slide all the way back all the time. I am going to try to get some other ammo and get to a range tomorrow or next weekend at the latest.

Approximately, 8 yrs ago I shot a G36 and G30 side by side to see which I liked better and I got the now well known pinky pinch from the G36 and bought the G30. Yesterday, I put Pierce + zeros on the G36 mags and wahla - no picky pinch.

The G36 is one nice feeling gun to shoot and carry. When it shot, it was very accurate. I want it to work well enough to be confident in using the G36 as my EDC.

I'll report back.

Last edited by MIKES LAW; 09-04-2011 at 21:15..
MIKES LAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:17   #14
G36_Me

Glock lists the following probable causes for Failure to Eject or Erratic Ejection (including stove pipes)
Broken or damaged ejector - replace trigger mechanism housing with ejector
Underpowered ammunition - change ammo (your WWB should work, in my opinion)
Dirty chamber - clean chamber
Shooting with an unlocked wrist - lock shooting hand wrist
Lack of lubrication - lubricate (don't listen to folks who say no lube is required, follow the owner's manual suggestions)
Dirty gun - Clean

do note this: the ejector is actually a part of the trigger mechanism and a key to ejecting success. Of course, the extractor is important and needs to be checked, but also remember the ejector plays an important role.

good luck and keep us posted.
Glock Professional Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
G36_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:28   #15
G36_Me

Regarding night sights and G36 and having to file down the front sight nut; yes, similar experience here. I love my night sights. I have TG-H3 on my G36. Excellent!
Old 09-12-2011, 11:42   #16
jbclark187

You are correct. The G19 and G36 fit an almost identical footprint - especially true if you add the +0 or +1 baseplate. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
My 19 also fits nicely into my High Noon holster for my 36. I think the slide width difference is only 1.5mm<o:p></o:p>
The grip does have a significant difference IMO - I can rapidly shoot my G19 more so than the G36. Single shots or 1-2 second delay between shots yields a much better result for me with the 36.<o:p></o:p>
Old 09-13-2011, 19:46   #17
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Well amigo's, for me, and a friend or two on here ... The stock G36 left alone, shoots my hand loads of 7.6/7.7grs of Power Pistol with a 230 gr. XTP, or 230gr anything JHP, at about 910fps... recoil is very manageable (i am used to 44mags) And this has proved to be a very decent carry gun. Won't replace my M19111 45 acp EDC, but it is a very nice piece none the less. Holds poker chip size groups at 35 yds, and that is good enough for me.

Stock everything. All did was polish the feed ramp and chamber to a mirror finish.... Thats it. Feeds everything you can name flawlessly. I put a 22 # spring in it, and it shot like crap. I left it stock acccept for a 3.5# connector and it drills holes waaaaaay out there. Got about 1500+ rounds thru it, and not ONE hiccup.
Enjoy it. It is a very nice weapon, and one of Glocks best.

NOTE******

I came back and made a MAJOR correction here on load data. I had said 7.6 7.7 grs Blue Dot.... NO NO NO.. That is supposed to be Power Pistol !!!!!!!!!!!!

I have made the correction above...
Very sorry for the typo. I usually do not screw up like that, but had somethng else on my mind ! Appologies to all !

Good shooting

CanyonMan

http://www.prorodeo.com/

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7

Last edited by CanyonMan; 09-17-2011 at 08:45..
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:09   #18
G36_Me

i consider mine to be stock, almost

polished ramp
night sights
3.5 lb connector
springs changed
metal recoil spring
no extensions on mags

shoots like a champ, as good a trigger as can get without getting silly, never any issues with light primer strikes.

awesome shooter
Old 09-24-2011, 22:22   #19
Twodog

My favorite carry gun. For that matter it is my favorite handgun. No problems at all with one exception. When I first bought it, it shot high. I ended up installing a set of night sights. A Trijicon front and Glock short rear night sight. Shoots right on the money now.
Twodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 19:24   #20
Chipotle

Honorbound, Swampbox and Lockback:

Did your malfunctions look like this?

I've been keeping track of G36 problems since my issues in 2009. Last one I saw here on GT was in Aug 2010. I thought the problems were over Now three G36 problems in the past 4 months? It only appears one of the three are used too.

My advice - record everything: round count, ammo brand, and any/all communication with Glock.

Good luck.
Chipotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 17:57   #21
MIKES LAW

Well, it took me forever to get back to the range. The G36 "stovepiped" on the 12th round. I went to a lgs and advised him of the problem. He bought the G36 - he was convinced I was limp-wristing it.

I have shot 45acp, 40 s&w, and 9mm glocks for approximately 20 years and I guess anything is possible, but frankly, I doubt that I was limp-wristing I bought another G36 and plan to go to the range next weekend.

In reviewing the G36 record it seems that they are either good or not. I like everything but the round count with the G36 but I am willing to work with that. I can only guess that the previous owner figured that it was one of the not so good G36's and sold/traded it - now that makes two of us.

I regret I don't have the time to try to force Glock to do the right thing.

Thanks for listening. I'll report back.
Old 10-20-2011, 20:40   #22
MIKES LAW

I finally got to the range last weekend and the new G36 was flawless through 50 rounds. My hand was getting a little bit beat up because I also had a new gen 4 G21 to try out. I hope to get back to the range within the next couple of weeks and continue running my new toys.

I traded a 30sf that I just didn't have faith in due to fte's and ftrb for the G21. In some ways I think the G36 is the ideal concealed carry pistol but that G21 is truly sweet to shoot.

Peace out.
Old 10-21-2011, 17:40   #23
captcurly

My G 36 has functioned at 100% and I use Speer Lawman 185gr FMJ. When carrying use Speer Gold Dot HP for short barrels. The recoil has a bit of a bite but the slim frame makes for better concealed carry. I am 69yrs old with some nerve damage in the palm of my shooting hand. I can only fire 25 to 30 rds before it gets real uncomfortable.

It is all about shot placement.
captcurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 20:26   #24
Glock26z

I shoot revolvers now. sold all my autos except for my 3 rugers,P95,LC9,and P345.
Glock26z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 20:07   #25
the perfesser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock26z View Post
I shoot revolvers now. sold all my autos except for my 3 rugers,P95,LC9,and P345.
Just curious: why no Glocks anymore?
the perfesser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
g36, g36 vs g19