Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-23-2011, 21:14   #141
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Real. Trust me if I had the $,$$$ to throw at a new AR15 I would do it yesterday. We get paid very little compared to the wider Ohio LE market. I can spend a few hundred on a gun and put a toy on it here and there but right now that's about it. As for reliability, the spring loaded firing pin will go a long way in helping with that.
Ah hell, I do understand that but I just ate a lot of Top Ramen on duty to squeeze some pennies. Same sort of boat here for pay. Thank the lord and lady for a great accountant at tax time. All those parts, ammo and related costs add up.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:49   #142
Agent6-3/8

My issued AR with my last department was a plain jane M&P 15. Optics and light were a no-no.

Here's my personal AR that I built myself.

BCM upper
Stripped M&P lower with DD internals
Troy drop-in battle rail
Magpul furniture
Troy folding rear sight
Sling is a Magpul MS2 that I'm running as a 2 point in a slightly unconventional way.
Optic is a Primary Arms micro red dot. I've been very inpressed with this optic, especially considering the price. For my purposes its all I need.

If this rifle ever ends up as a duty weapon, I'll spring for a real Aimpoint Micro and add a light.

Cop Talk
Old 08-24-2011, 12:55   #143
Foxtrotx1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkster View Post
I have a laser on order and was wondering what to hold the pressure switch on with. I tried asking around on another forum but got nothing helpful. This seems so obvious I feel like I should've thought of it myself.

My rifle:
Cop Talk
Chinese SKS
Tapco 20rd mag
Barrel attached quad rail
Bipod
Folding stock

She ain't much but our office can't buy everyone a patrol rifle so we're allowed carry a wide range of guns as long as we can qualify. I got this well-used at a gun show, put in a new spring-loaded firing pin and added the small quad rail and bipod. The laser I'm waiting for is 100mw green, daytime visible. I could probly just shine it in a perp's eyes and not have to shoot him.
For anyone thinking it, the bipod isn't overkill- I've already been to one standoff where a bipod would've been super fantastic. I laid in the guy's back yard for a couple hours covering a rear window during negotiations.
Freaking epic. Is the Mosin your BUG?

Eagle Scout.
Foxtrotx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 14:16   #144
JTipper.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landric View Post
My currently issued patrol rifle, a Mini-14 Ranch Rifle. After much begging I was allowed to add an Ultimak rail and Aimpoint. I'm the only officer in the department currently authorized to use an optic on his patrol rifle. We have two guys with scoped .308 Remington 700s that have been to sniper school. Those are currently the only other optics on rifles in the department. We are rumored to be getting AR type rifles later this year. If that happens I expect the policy on optics to open up some as well.

Cop Talk

Cop Talk

Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle
Ultimak Rail
Aimpoint CompC SM in Aimpoint QRP2 mount
Buttstock Magazine carrier with spare 20 round magazine
Sling of Unknown Origin that was on the rifle when it was issued to me
Yep, my next project is to trick out my old Mini. I figured on an Amega Ranges scout rail, a mini RDS, a small Surefire light and repalce my laminate stock for a Houge. Just to drive the AR guys nuts!
Old 08-24-2011, 14:31   #145
Sparkster
HeroHolstersLLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkster View Post
Cop Talk
Laser came today.
Now I just need to get over to my friend's house and get it lined up on his 100yd bench.

Cop Talk
Cop Talk

I tried to photograph the beam but it required a little more setup with the camera than I thought and sometimes I'm not patient. I may try again tonight after dark. I did shine it at some trees about 70yds away and the dot was plenty visible.

Edit for night time laser beam photo:
f/3.5
18mm
18 sec exposure
ISO-400
Cop Talk

Last edited by Sparkster; 08-24-2011 at 19:18..
Sparkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 19:20   #146
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

anybody have any experience with pelican rifle cases? i'll be keeping my Colt 6920 in the trunk and these look like pretty solid cases. Looking at 1700 vs 1720, any help appreciated!
Old 08-24-2011, 21:14   #147
Kahr_Glockman

Pelicans are some of the best cases on the market. Other options for around the same money, are Starlight, and Hardigg Storm.

I personally like the Starlight cases. They are almost freakin bullet proof, and besides Ted Nugent use one.(Probably more than one.)

I worked at a rifle shop for almost a year, and we stocked Starlight cases. The customer support was awesome.

Quick story, we had a case shipped to the shop that FedEx DROPPED OUT OF AN AIRPLANE!!!! Some of the hinges sheared off, case was beat all to hell, the latches were broken. Just in general messed up. The gun was damaged but mostly cosmetics.

Starlight was so concerned that they wanted detailed pictures of how the case failed. Top notch customer service. Best in the business, period. Had it been any other case, I am sure that the gun would have been completely destroyed. Like I said, great folks.
Quote:
Roering
Trying to fight the police off is one thing. Trying to do it while naked takes real commitment.
Kahr_Glockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 21:15   #148
Kahr_Glockman

Starlight makes a smaller case for M4s. Should cost around $200.

Well I said that and found that they no longer make the 28" model. Sorry.
Quote:
Roering
Trying to fight the police off is one thing. Trying to do it while naked takes real commitment.

Last edited by Kahr_Glockman; 08-24-2011 at 21:18..
Kahr_Glockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:34   #149
Denikes

Send a message via AIM to Denikes
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
anybody have any experience with pelican rifle cases? i'll be keeping my Colt 6920 in the trunk and these look like pretty solid cases. Looking at 1700 vs 1720, any help appreciated!
I just bought a 1720 with the pick and pluck foam. The case is heavy, but I'm fairly sure the case will outlive me. The quality and craftsmanship is damn impressive.
Denikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:41   #150
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denikes View Post
I just bought a 1720 with the pick and pluck foam. The case is heavy, but I'm fairly sure the case will outlive me. The quality and craftsmanship is damn impressive.
how does the pick and pluck work? from what i saw on their sight you draw an outline and the foam is already cut into cubes?
Old 08-25-2011, 08:47   #151
Denikes

Send a message via AIM to Denikes
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
how does the pick and pluck work? from what i saw on their sight you draw an outline and the foam is already cut into cubes?
It's partially cut into cubes. I placed the rifle and mags where I wanted and then outlined them in toothpicks. Next I cut with a razor knife. Just realize when you're picking a case size you have to have almost 1" extra on all four sides so you have a cube of protective foam on the outer edge.

All in all took me about an hour, but turned out even better than I thought it would.
Denikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:03   #152
ateamer
NRA4EVR

We got trained today on our rifles. Colt LE6940 with Aimpoint - don't know what model Aimpoint. I was skeptical of the optics, having never used a red dot sight and only ever having shot through a scope maybe five times in my life. I like it.

We had a number of stoppages, which mostly appeared to be due to the Colt magazines. For the time being, those are the only mags we can officially use, but approval for P-Mags should be in within 24 to 48 hours.

Good training day. I'm tired and a bit sore from all the transitions to kneeling and prone, and going nonstop for almost the whole day - short breaks, and few of them. The way a training day should be.

I still say we should have gotten HK416s or better yet, HK94s. I am a fan of the delayed roller locking bolt.
Know-it-all
ateamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 17:15   #153
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
You are on my wife's **** list at the moment.

Thanks to your inspiration, I just ordered up some components from Rainier Arms.

Another DD upper.
Noveske 7.5" barrel
Noveske KX3 firepig
TRX Extreme M7 (7.6 inch rail)
BCM Gunfighter CH
LMT FA BCG
DD fixed battle sights.
and around two months later...

BOOM goes the dynamite.

Thanks for the inspiration, once again G30/600R

Cop Talk

Cop Talk

Cop Talk

Cop Talk

Cop Talk
Old 10-05-2011, 18:21   #154
GenoTac Ind.
|KYDEX GEAR>

That look so right. Exactly how I envisioned my build to be...looks just right. I would like to see some groupings at 100yrds. Will not be able to get mine done till tax time. But now I know I really want it that way. Good build!

Quote:
and around two months later...

BOOM goes the dynamite.

Thanks for the inspiration, once again G30/600R

Cop Talk

Cop Talk

Cop Talk

Cop Talk

Cop Talk
Old 10-05-2011, 18:58   #155
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by g30another600r View Post
That looks so right. Exactly how I envisioned my build to be...looks just right. I would like to see some groupings at 100yrds. Will not be able to get mine done till tax time. But now I know I really want it that way. Good build!
Until Uncle Sugar and the NFA fairies ship me a voided stamp telling me I can assemble it, no groupings at any yards, I'm afraid.

I know you were thinking about a longer rail but I think 7.6 is just right. I highly recommend ponying up the cash for a Noveske Diplomat barrel as well. This thing is ****ing sweet!

Old 10-05-2011, 21:03   #156
ArmaGlock
Glock Armorer

BCM 11.5
Cop Talk
-Florida Glockers/1911 Club/Black Rifle/Tactical Shotgun #491/G1 Niners #140

"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men." Edmund Burke
ArmaGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:03   #157
GenoTac Ind.
|KYDEX GEAR>

Diplomat barrel it will be then! Took mine exactly 3 months on the stamp, sent in May 14 got July 23

Quote:
Until Uncle Sugar and the NFA fairies ship me a voided stamp telling me I can assemble it, no groupings at any yards, I'm afraid.

I know you were thinking about a longer rail but I think 7.6 is just right. I highly recommend ponying up the cash for a Noveske Diplomat barrel as well. This thing is ****ing sweet!

Old 10-06-2011, 12:17   #158
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

I'm still waiting for my AOW stamp for my Serbu!
Old 10-06-2011, 20:52   #159
Sharkey

Didn't go thru all 7 pages but just FYI, Daniel Defense is about to roll out a interest free financing for a couple rifle packages.

Basically, an agency gets an account and a certain amount is drawn out from each paycheck and the dept. sends it to the company at one time. Rifles are shipped out a day or two after ordering.

Might be something to consider if money is tight.
I also think it is only open for patrol officers which last I checked was the backbone of any agency.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 20:54   #160
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Another reason to love that company.