Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:52   #1
Hey Mikey
SSgt of Marines

Send a message via AIM to Hey Mikey
Title I or II VS Class III

I'm NOT the G.A.T.E. Moderator here but I feel the need to clarify a few terms. Too often I hear people misuse terms, so I'm gunna break it down for you:

Title I weapon:
- Rifles with a minimum of a 16" barrel AND 26" overall length including buttstock.
- Shotguns with a minimum of a 18" barrel AND 26" overall including buttstock.
- Pistols.

Title II weapons:
Machine Guns are defined as "weapons that shoot, are designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot without manual reloading by a single function of the trigger." In addition to this definition, Title II also defines any part of a machine gun that may be readily assembled into a machine gun, primarily the receiver, as a machine gun itself.

Short-Barreled Rifles (SBR) are defined as rifles which have a barrel length less than 16" or an overall length of less than 26". This term also refers to any firearm made from a rifle of the aforementioned proportions.

Short-Barreled Shotguns (SBS) are defined as shotguns which have a barrel length less than 18", or an overall length of less than 26". As with short-barreled rifles, this term refers to any firearm made from a shotgun as defined.

Destructive Devices (DD) have two sub-categories: "Conventional" devices such as bombs, explosives, incendiaries, etc., and other devices, which are firearms with a bore exceeding half of an inch. Various antique muzzle-loading muskets and rifles whose bores exceed the legal limit have been exempted.

Silencers also called 'mufflers' and, more accurately, 'sound suppressors', these are defined as "any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm". This definition also includes any parts that are intended to be readily assembled into such a device.

Any Other Weapons (AOW) are an obscure and sometimes debated category. Under U.S. law, they are defined as "...any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive...". This umbrella definition includes all improvised firearms and disguised firearms (e.g. cane gun). A shotgun with barrel length less than 18 inches originally manufactured as a handgun without a shoulder stock is also an AOW. Also included in this "catch-all" category, are pistols with more than 1 pistol grip (e.g., pistol with a rail, with vertical-grip attached to the rail).

Special Occupational Tax Classes
Class Usage
Class 1 importer of NFA firearms
Class 2 manufacturer & dealer of NFA firearms
Class 3 dealer of NFA firearms
To get a Class 1 SOT status, you need an importer FFL, which includes Type 8, 11

To get a Class 2 SOT status, you need a manufacturer FFL, which includes Type 7, 10

To get a Class 3 SOT status, you need a dealer or manufacturer FFL which includes Type 1, 2, 7, 8, 9, 10 or 11

------------------------------------------

Sorry this is so long winded but when see people use the wrong terms especially in a firearm forum I wanna help.

To make short of the long: You do not have a CLASS III weapon, it would be a Title II weapon...however you may hold your FFL/SOT CLASS III License and make said weapons.

Respectfully,
Mikey

Last edited by Hey Mikey; 05-02-2010 at 15:43.. Reason: Corrected O.A.L. of Title I shotguns from 28" to 26"
Hey Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:12   #2
Zak Smith
3Gunner

Good post. I usually try to use the term "NFA items" to encompass the ones that fall under Title II. Class 3 is confusing and imprecise as you point out.

People also often say, things like:

"I need to get my Class 3" (referring to getting an NFA items transferred on a Form 4) -- incorrect.

"I need to get a license" (referring to same) -- again incorrect. The Form 4 is the only required paperwork and it is a tax document on the transfer of the item.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Zak Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 14:08   #3
Hey Mikey
SSgt of Marines

Send a message via AIM to Hey Mikey
btt, still see the same things come up. Can this be stickied?