Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-06-2011, 20:50   #1
olympicmotors

300 magnum range report

I have posted a few questions before about my Ruger Hawkeye 300 magnum.
I was at first disappointed with my group size but took your advice of not detail cleaning the bore after every range trip and my groups have settled in to about 1 inch at 100 yards. I am using Hornady ammo and am very pleased with my rifle now.

My new son-in-law and I went to the range today. 100 plus degrees in Arkansas, and put about 24 rounds through it in about 45 minutes. We were not purposely waiting for a cool off period between rounds and the barrel got very hot but the groups stayed very consistent , my last 3 shot group was my best of the day at right at 1 inch.

I am very suprised that a lightweight hunting rifle with a stock barrel will stay this accurate in these conditions.

I guess my question is : Am I hurting my barrel by not letting it cool off some? How hot is too hot? I probably will not repeat a session like this again (pretty hard on the shoulder too).
olympicmotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:12   #2
Zak Smith
3Gunner

Every time you pull the trigger you hurt the barrel. Some people say that if you shoot it when it's very very hot already, you do a little more damage than normal. If you can touch the barrel for more than 5 seconds with your hand, it's fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Zak Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 19:52   #3
olympicmotors

Thanks Zak, one more thing of interest ( at least to me ) I have been shooting 180 grain ammo, but the last few rounds I switched to 150 grain Hornady. I got an excellent group ( as I said about 1 inch) but the group was at least 3 inches above all my other groups with 180 grain ammo.

I am suprised how much difference 30 grains made to the bullet drop. I suppose 150 grain would be the hot ticket for ultra-long-range shooting.

Last edited by olympicmotors; 08-08-2011 at 19:53..
olympicmotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 20:08   #4
Zak Smith
3Gunner

If it was at close range, it's not the bullet drop, it's just a different zero because of different ammo.

Zak Smith is offline   Reply With Quote