Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-26-2011, 23:43   #1
snichols28

Your agency firearm instructor program

Can anyone share experience with what kind of testings are required (if any) and how you became a firearm instructor for your agency? Did your agency send you to armorer's schools?

I am going to be submitting my letter through the ladder in hopes of becoming one of our own instructors. It's new to me so I want to get a little bit of expert insight. Any info is of great help with much appreciation!

Glock Factory Armorer
snichols28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 00:55   #2
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

None of your damn business.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:06   #3
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Oh lord. I'd better plug in the popcorn popper . . .

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594

Last edited by Morris; 07-27-2011 at 04:06..
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:40   #4
Ship A'Hoy
Trigger Control

Go to a NRA LE Instructor class.

http://www.nrahq.org/law/training/instructorschools.asp
Speed is fine, accuracy is final.
Ship A'Hoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:19   #5
NMPOPS

Send a message via ICQ to NMPOPS
Talk to your Department Firearms Instructors or whoever is in charge of training. They should be better qualified than us to tell you what you need to do.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:05   #6
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
QTF IMI K

(what the eff, question mark, over?)
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:15   #7
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Become an AZPOST General Instructor, (40 hr school) become an AZPOST Firearms Instructor (80 hr school). Patrol rifle is a separate 40 hr block. Satisfy all your agency's suckup or performance standards along the way.

As far as shooting skills go, POST requires 210/250 to be a cop. I think it's 235 on two shoots to get into school, and yes we've sent people home from the instructor's course, both on academics and on the quals. My agency has instructors shoot 240 to stay on the roster. I was an NRA instructor before I applied, it was one of the things that helped in deciding who went to school...more applicants than slots.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:19   #8
snichols28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMPOPS View Post
Talk to your Department Firearms Instructors or whoever is in charge of training. They should be better qualified than us to tell you what you need to do.

I know what I need to do. I was just curious about what others' standards were.

Glock Factory Armorer
Old 07-27-2011, 07:20   #9
snichols28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
Get to work f'er!

Glock Factory Armorer

Last edited by snichols28; 07-27-2011 at 07:21..
Old 07-27-2011, 08:02   #10
MakeMineA10mm
Lifetime Membership
300AAC brass

Well, looking at your sig line, I'd guess you're a "gun guy" as am I... You may also be a good shot, as am I. I was able to put myself through Glock Armorer's School, with a letter from my boss for the registration, but I took the day off and paid the fee myself... None of this will get you to Instructor's school at my agency. In fact, my agency didn't have ANY instructors. We always went to the range with the Sheriff's Dept. and they did our training and our quals. What it took for me to go was the following:

1) Accomplished something at my job that looked good (had nothing to do with firearms).

2) Overcame the "he-just-wants-to-go-to-FI-School-to-make-himself-better/look-good/have-fun" impression that any "gun guy" gets labelled with, by expressing in my letter that my interest has changed from my own shooting / competitiveness to a desire to help others become better shooters.

3) I had to show why it was useful to our dept. to have an internal FI rather than just stick with the Sheriff's Dept.'s program.

4) Our agency weapons/use of force policy hadn't been re-written in 11 years, and needs an update severely, so I pointed out that attending class would give some insight to help with that task as well.

5) My direct supervisor interceded with the top boss to show that it wasn't just my idea (again, important to overcome the "he-just-wants-this-for-his-own-self-enjoyment" attitude).

6) One of my main points and desires was to do some more-advanced "combat" training, as opposed to the training we do now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Looking for: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.
MakeMineA10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:08   #11
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
Oh lord. I'd better plug in the popcorn popper . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
QTF IMI K

(what the eff, question mark, over?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snichols28 View Post
Get to work f'er!
I was hoping for a faster smart ass response to my smart ass response.

(Deputy snichols28 is my homeboy).

I have nothing else productive to add to this thread.

Last edited by Cochese; 07-27-2011 at 08:09..
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:12   #12
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

What, what? This some locker room bromance thing spilling onto the internet? Say it ain't so!

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:42   #13
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

We have a state course that is technically required, but the only thing attending the state's course actually gets you is the ability to certify reserves, as their initial training and qualification must all be sent in. Everybody goes to the state's course, but it's curious how little enforcement they actually do. I have heard of departments using NRA instructors mixed in with state certified instructors in the past.

The state course is 80 hours and covers pistol and (allegedly) shotgun, but I bet we fired 50 rounds of shotgun. There is a separate 40 hour patrol rifle instructor class. The basic instructor class includes a reasonable amount of instructor development, but on one level I think is meant to be your "last hurrah" before becoming an instructor and never getting to shoot again. They had us bring 2,000 rounds and shoot about 1,500 under strict instructions that we keep the remainder when we got home and use it to work on our skills, since instructors often get the shaft. It's also worth pointing out that they expected us to know how to shoot on day one. The first morning was a short briefing and three attempts to post a 90%+ on the state's marksmanship qualification course and shotgun qualification course. Neither are that difficult, but we sent five people packing.

That said, teaching people to shoot, and by virtue of that to protect themselves and survive is a whole lot of fun and very, very important.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:58   #14
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Cop Talk

Last edited by Cochese; 07-27-2011 at 12:02..
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:59   #15
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
What, what? This some locker room bromance thing spilling onto the internet? Say it ain't so!
I might be responsible for him registering here. We've known each other since before we was the po-leece.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:44   #16
rookie1

Our department requires you shoot a locker or something similar before you can be accepted by the department then later sent off to be an instructor.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:54   #17
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie1 View Post
Our department requires you shoot a locker or something similar before you can be accepted by the department then later sent off to be an instructor.

Only one of the two from your department in my red shirt school did that! Although the other one threw a briefcase at a speeding motorcycle once and tried to shoot a tire out on a car that was driving at or past him (depending on what you believe) another time.

Old 07-27-2011, 13:12   #18
TheGreatGonzo
Clown Hunter

I love bieng a "red shirt". I would simply provide this caution: I became an SFI because (1) I love to shoot and (2) I believe I have the capacity to teach. Soon after becoming an FI, I discovered that it worked against reason #1! I don't get to shoot nearly as much because I am always running the line, not standing on it. Now, when I want to shoot, I have to go out and do it on my own. Sadly, I actually shoot a lot less now that I am an FI. Keep that in mind.

Of course, the great thing is that I get issued one of every gun in the inventory.

Our agency requires a higher demonstrated level of proficiency (85% for FIs vs 80% for other armed personnel) for Firearms Instructors. Additionally, there is a separate course of fire that must be passed at the first day of FITP school and potential candidates must demonstrate the ability to do so before we send them. We had a rash of guys failing at FITP (on the first day, no less), so we are much more careful now. Additionally, Senior Firearms Instructors review the perspective candidates for their ability to teach and interact with shooters. Not all great shooters are cut out to be instructors.

Good luck!
Gonzo
TheGreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 13:25   #19
ateamer
NRA4EVR

Start off by being a solid deputy who is a worker and team player, is a gun guy, expert shot (we don't get marksmanship badges/rankings, but all of the instructors would qualify as expert), patient and wants to instruct to help your fellow deputies, not just for the free ammo. (Hint - instructors only shoot on training days on their own time after everyone else has left. Most of us go to the public range on our days off and pay for the range time.)

Put in a request with the firearms team sergeant to be an instructor, and start out by being an assistant. Assistants help watch the firing line for safety issues, usually know enough to help instruct on some basics and will run some courses of fire.

If you are qualified (if you've gotten this far, you usually are), you will be sent to a firearms instructor school when a slot is available. Some of us have been to the 40 hour FBI handgun instructor school. Others go to an 80 hour school which covers handgun and shotgun and maybe rifle. (I went to the FBI school - outstanding training. We shot, but not as much as I expected. The bulk of it was oriented toward methods of instruction, lesson plan development and methods of remediation.)

Armorers don't have to be instructors. Just be a gun guy, again a worker, take care of your equipment and ask to join the team. I've been to Glock armorer and MP5 armorer, and since I'm part of the HK family, I hate you.
Know-it-all
ateamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 13:46   #20
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
I would simply provide this caution: I became an SFI because (1) I love to shoot and (2) I believe I have the capacity to teach.
The combination of these two is key. You can be an expert shot, but if you don't have the drive, determination, motivation, and ability to share skills with your students, you're not going to be a good instructor. The tough part is being able to keep that level of enthusiasm even when you're teaching the folks that just don't want to be there.

I teach firearms because:

1) When I started we had no instructors and virtually no training. Qualify once a year and go home.

2) As Gonzo stated, I love to shoot and I believe I have the capacity to teach.

3) I want my students to always have the skills they need, when they need them. I want to be that voice in their head saying "front sight, press. front sight, press" when the **** hits the fan.

Tags
firearm, instructor, training