Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:46   #21
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29

Walrus108, I was out shooting with another GT member, and 10mm shooter today. We were both talking about how it feels so different to shoot reloads. Not in a tactile sense, but how you feel about it. When I would shoot factory ammo, I always felt like I was watching my money go downrange. It was like I was counting it up in my brain. Boom, $0.80, boom, $0.80, boom, $0.80. I would almost try to shoot slowly, or conserve ammo, because I just felt like I was just throwing away money. I was getting to the point of skipping opportunities to shoot, just because I didn't want to have to spend more money.

When you reload, that feeling TOTALLY goes out the window. I don't know why, because I definitely spend more money now. However, I shoot about 5 times more than I did. When I shoot my reloads, they just feel totally expendable. Before, I didn't like doing rapid-fire mag dumps just because it felt like a waste. Now, I couldn't care less. I blew through two mags a couple weeks ago just trying to hit a dragonfly (I eventually got him, all I found was one of his wings). It is just such a great feeling. It is so incredibly nice to just shoot and shoot and shoot without feeling guilty about it.

Anyway, you have made the best shooting decision of your life. Believe me, in a month you will wonder why you ever spent money on loaded ammo. The feeling you will have the first time you shoot ammo that YOU MADE is just awesome. And, again, it is so much more fun being able to take lots of different loads to the range. Today, when I went shooting, I had four different loads with 50 rounds each, then two more boxes with a combined 10 different loads with expensive SD bullets. Have fun loading, and welcome to the club!!!

Last edited by 21Carrier; 07-04-2011 at 01:48..
21Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:22   #22
GTRhino24
Blazin' 10mm x2

I used to take 3-4 boxes of 10mm ammo to the indoor range. I would only load 5 at a time so that I could make it last. After less than an hour, I would be finished. I would get in my truck and feel sick to my stomach that I spent $100 and didn't even get my fix.

Fast-forward to now -

I shot about 150rds yesterday and was only disappointed that I didn't free up more used brass to reload. I woke up planning some new loads to try out next week. It's an addiction man, but much healthier than most.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:05   #23
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

I like IMR 800-X powder, low pressure stuff but hard to get it to drop consistant from a powder measure. I also use Longshot for 10mm since I use it in my 40 S&W loads, good power and accurate.
If loaded to factory 40 S&W or even basic 10mm factory loads brass will last to 8 ot 10 loads at least for me, depends on chamber/gun.
Have fun and be safe!
Old 07-04-2011, 12:30   #24
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Yep .. I used to spend a LOT of money periodically on DT, UMC and any other ammo I could get my hands on. I'd save up and plan a trip to the range. I might have 2-3 boxes of ammo. I'd always hate shooting all of my ammo because who knows when I'd be able to get more. (Save ONE mag full for defense....)

Now that I reload, I usually have about 400 rounds headed to the range and when I'm done shooting I always have lots of ammo left over.... and NO bad feeling in my stomach .... Just a hankerin' to get downstairs again and load it all up again.
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”

Last edited by nickE10mm; 07-04-2011 at 12:31..
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 17:24   #25
whenmonkeysfly
CLM Number 249
Charter Lifetime Member

Reload 10mm if you want to shoot!

Recycle Brass = 10mm Auto at $8.50/Box of 50 or $17/100 Rounds (17 cents apiece vs 80 to 84 cents apiece - DT price). Better quality than Double Tap (good full-house loads) which costs ~$42/Box of 50, plus shipping.

Using Recycled Brass (my own) I can produce 1000 Rounds of Premium 10mm for $170. Buying Double Tap, $800/1000 with free shipping.

I don't think I really save a lot of money because I shoot A LOT MORE. Shoot less and save more. 200 dollars a month allows me to easily shoot a thousand rounds a month and replace worn/lost brass in the mix, plus purchase case cleaner and lube.

I could probably save a lot more if I molded my own bullets, but I'm not quite there yet....

I currently use Montana Gold CMJ's, TMJ's or JHP's. Specialty like Hornady's XTP's for a bit more.

So overall price per round with an excellent bullet and a great full-house load, 17 Cents!

Tags
10mm, brass, cost, once fired