GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-23-2010, 17:55   #161
Drew78

I do. But I'm confused by your post. I like the LCR better than the LCP (which I have too btw). I'd rather have 5 38+p's than 7 380's

Drew
Old 10-24-2010, 19:22   #162
Fire_Medic
CLM Number 261
Polymer Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew78 View Post
I do. But I'm confused by your post. I like the LCR better than the LCP (which I have too btw). I'd rather have 5 38+p's than 7 380's

Drew
My apologies, it seems I misunderstood your post. When you stated you wished it had more rounds, I interpreted it as you favoring the LCP because it carried more rounds. I had LCP on the brain from a thread right before I read this one, and it was late.

Florida Glockers Club #2250, BHP Club #2250, Niners Club #2250, G1 Niners Club #2250, Black Rifle Club #2250, S&W Club #2250, 40SW Club #2250

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

RIP GioaJack!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Fire_Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 19:37   #163
Drew78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_Medic View Post
My apologies, it seems I misunderstood your post. When you stated you wished it had more rounds, I interpreted it as you favoring the LCP because it carried more rounds. I had LCP on the brain from a thread right before I read this one, and it was late.

No problemo my friend!
Old 02-13-2011, 22:21   #164
FM12
I need AMMO!

I dont know. I rarely feel Overgunned with my Colt Cobra 6 shot!
Old 02-14-2011, 14:23   #165
opdsgt
Blue Canary

Admitted periods of inexcusable laziness aside, I've been carrying off-duty guns of various calibers and capacities for 22 years; full size 9mm in fanny packs, .380 autos on the ankle, short .45s in belt slide or small of the back holsters, etc.

At the end of the day, the weapon that most often accompanies me when I set out into the Big Bad World of shopping carts, restaurants, church pews and psychopaths is a 5-shot snubbie and a speedloader.

"Beware of the man who owns one gun and practices with it."

-Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC
opdsgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:28   #166
2740dmx

I do not feel undergunned....

Just sold off my G27 and starting carrying my Ruger SP101...

Full-house .357 magnums, in a gun designed for up-close-and-personal, will serve my needs.

I do not carry a speed-loader... too bulky...

I do carry a couple speed-strips, but there ain't nothing "speedy" about them...
I have no illusions about reloading "under fire" with a speed strip (having practiced and seen how clumsy it can be under stress), but still like to have a reload at hand.... in case I can do need more than five shots, and somehow can get a reload done.... or perhaps to reload immediately after a shooting...

For my self-defense purposes (small town, rarely out late at night, low crime rate..) the snubby revolver serves it's purpose.
Old 03-05-2011, 14:37   #167
1 old 0311

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2740dmx View Post
I do not feel undergunned....

Just sold off my G27 and starting carrying my Ruger SP101...

Full-house .357 magnums, in a gun designed for up-close-and-personal, will serve my needs.

I do not carry a speed-loader... too bulky...

I do carry a couple speed-strips, but there ain't nothing "speedy" about them...
I have no illusions about reloading "under fire" with a speed strip (having practiced and seen how clumsy it can be under stress), but still like to have a reload at hand.... in case I can do need more than five shots, and somehow can get a reload done.... or perhaps to reload immediately after a shooting...

For my self-defense purposes (small town, rarely out late at night, low crime rate..) the snubby revolver serves it's purpose.

+1. I don't hang at crack houses, or biker bars. My odds are pretty low.
1 old 0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 15:03   #168
HexHead

When I had my 442, I felt confident in the caliber, .38 Special, but never got the warm & fuzzies about just having 5 of them. I'd prefer something like a Colt DS.
HexHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:46   #169
Jitterbug

Since the wife recently commandeered my PM9 and gave me her 442 with CT, I'm back to carrying a snub.

It's been a transition for her, but after a year of various times at the range, it's clear she does better with the PM9.

I can shoot the 442 with Lazer fairly well and I'm getting to really see the positive side of the Laser, especially compared to snubbie sights and the 442 in a DeSantis Nemesis does draw a bit quicker from my strong side pocket when compared to the PM9.

However, I really felt better "armed" with the PM9 stoked with 7 Gold dots with another 7 ready for a quick reload.

With the PM9 I can shoot it more accurately and 7 has got to better then 5 and the faster reload will always go to the magazine, at least for me anyway.

I'm carrying the 442 mostly out of nostalgia, snubs have given me warm fuzzies for many years...but at the end of the day and for my personal preferences it doesn't beat the beat the PM9, I'm not in a great big hurry but I'll probably be purchasing another PM9 sometime soon.

I know a CT can be installed on the PM9 but I haven't determined yet if it's a workable concept for pocket carry.

But, I'm not sure I'll sell the 442 with CT, it's still a unique and nice gun to have around.
Jitterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:13   #170
Chup

I have posted in this column before but, I thought I might add an update today. Snubs are my favorite Guns. I carry Semi-autos all so. I always carry Two Guns. when carrying Two Snubs it is normally 357s. either Two Five Shooters or One Five Shooter and a Seven Shooter. I feel Ten or more shots off 357 will take care of any problem I may encounter. I carry reloads all so. If I had to be in Gang infested neighborhoods I my feel the need to carry my Two Glocks but, I try not to go there. I have never herd any one in my area that has ever needed to use their gun let alone multiple high cap Guns.
Chup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:16   #171
HotRoderX
Gen4 BETATester

Feel perfectly safe with a snubby loaded with 38special +P. 5rounds is more then enough in my humble opinion
HotRoderX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 20:54   #172
akbound

Most days my main carry is a 649 loaded with Speer .38+P 135 grain Gold Dots and one spare speed strip with the same loads. This rides just behind my right hip in a Galco Speed Master. And no, I don't feel undergunned or it wouldn't be there.

In honesty though I have to admit there is also a KelTec P3AT in my left pocket in a Don Hume pocket holster and a spare mag for it behind my left hip on my belt. The P3AT is currently loaded with Federal HydraShoks, (though it may soon be Corbon +P loads with all copper DPX bullets).

When the 649 doesn't seem enough it's likely to be replaced by a S&W 296 chambered for .44 Special and loaded with 200 grain Gold Dot Speers. But I guess then that would still be a snubby!
akbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:39   #173
Jitterbug

Carrying two guns just doesn't work for me and if I'm going hip carry it's going to be a bigger gun...if one of my 1911's in on my hip, the pocket pistol usually stays home or safely stashed.

Often the 1911 will come off and the pocket pistol goes back into the pocket, just because it's an easier carry.

Not saying one way is better then another, just my personal preference and each to his own...
Jitterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:54   #174
SuperSleuth

Short answer: No.

Slightly longer answer: There's more to prevailing in a gunfight than the gun I choose.
SuperSleuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 18:15   #175
WMDoug
Keep&Bear Arms

I went to my local gun store today to buy a G26. I own a G19 but didn't think I would carry it as much as I would a G26 because of its size. Talking with the owner, he says his primary carry weapon is a snubbie. He said "Look at us! It is April 4th and we are still wearing our jackets and coats. I don't want to have to be digging through layers of clothes to get to my holstered semi when I can have one hand on my briefcase and another on my snubbie." That made me go "hmmm." then he went on "What are you going to do when you are wearing shorts or sweats and want to head out to the 7-11 for a paper? Are you going to make sure you put on your pants with a belt and your IWB holster? Probably not and now you are unarmed. With my snubbie, it lives in my pocket, it is always with me, no matter WHAT I am wearing."

Life change. Needless to say, I didn't buy the G26. My head is spinning and I am looking at Ruger LCRs tonight on the internet.

Edited - No more head spin. Today I take delivery of a Ruger LCR with Crimson Trace grips. I read story after story of people sounding exactly like my gun store buddy and now I am sold.

Last edited by WMDoug; 04-08-2011 at 10:51.. Reason: update
WMDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:20   #176
Chup

No matter what is on or in my belt, at least half the year it is under a jacket or sweat shirt. This is when the Snub in my pocket is most comforting. I can have my hand on it and ready to go. I guess my main gun is the 357LCR in my pocket and my backup, today, is a G26 with a G19 Mag in it as my IWB gun.
Chup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 23:35   #177
Rex G

Send a message via AIM to Rex G
My hands are somewhat large, but they are equipped with skinny, medium and short fingers and thumbs. The SP101, with factory grip, is a good fit for me. Moreover, I can really clamp down hard on the SP101 grip, which is reassuring when things are at contact distance, when a bad guy might get his hands on my weapon. The SP101 is, therefore, a quite good defensive weapon for me, and I do not feel under-gunned.

I do like to carry two, or even three, but this is true even if one weapon is a double-stack auto, or other larger weapon.

I can shoot a 4"+ larger-framed sixgun notably better, if the targets are farther away, and my eyeglasses are in place, and not fogged or smudged, and the planets are lined up just right. Most self-defense incidents happens close-up.

I do actually prefer the 3.06" barrel length, because it balances such that I can better feel where the muzzle is pointing. Even if my goal is to use the sights whenever possible, I am ahead of the game if the gun is fairly well on-target before I acquire the sight picture, and sometimes, acquiring the sights is not possible. I prefer the longer sight radius, and greater amount of daylight on either side of the front sight, within the rear notch. Even
so, the 2.25" version is not a bad little five gun, and my three short-snubs have not been kicked out of the nest.

My avatar, at left, is a 3" GP100, and yes, those are factory adjustable sights. This is a rare variant. In actual practice, when I carry a larger-framed sixgun than an SP101, it usually has a 4" barrel. Day to day, though, around town, my SP101 five-guns are comforting enough that I do not feel under-gunned. If I anticipate trouble, I will pack
heavier, of course.
Rex G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:47   #178
striperbisher
.45/.357carrier

Average gunfight taking out household invasions and only using an attacker vs a victim is 1 shot, 1 second, 2-3 feet. FBI Stat. That is a true BG vs GG gunfight.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:07   #179
Gunboat1
Far Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperbisher View Post
Average gunfight taking out household invasions and only using an attacker vs a victim is 1 shot, 1 second, 2-3 feet. FBI Stat. That is a true BG vs GG gunfight.
Source citation, please. Everyone quotes that bit of "official" wisdom, but no one can ever produce the source document. It is also based upon old data, as it was quoted to me at least 25 years ago in training.

"Flash mobs". "Wilding". Gang activity. If we know nothing else, it should be that group criminal activity happens quite frequently, despite a declining national crime rate overall.

We can either take appropriate notice and arm ourselves accordingly, or we can take blissful comfort in "statistical average" lore, because we just loooove our snubby. Take your pick. I'll still carry more rounds than a snub can accommodate, whenever possible.

"The sum of virtue is to be sociable with them that will be sociable, and formidable to them that will not." - Hobbes
Gunboat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:18   #180
stmcelroy
Holster Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunboat1 View Post
Source citation, please. Everyone quotes that bit of "official" wisdom, but no one can ever produce the source document. It is also based upon old data, as it was quoted to me at least 25 years ago in training.

"Flash mobs". "Wilding". Gang activity. If we know nothing else, it should be that group criminal activity happens quite frequently, despite a declining national crime rate overall.

We can either take appropriate notice and arm ourselves accordingly, or we can take blissful comfort in "statistical average" lore, because we just loooove our snubby. Take your pick. I'll still carry more rounds than a snub can accommodate, whenever possible.
Don't know where that "statistic" came from, but can one ever truly be armed good enough for any encounter? Not sure about you but even a Glock 17 with 17+1 and an extra 17rd mag ONLY gets you to 35 rounds, what if you are really facing a mob?

The majority of us are looking to protect ourselves from the one or two thugs that we may encounter, not be armed to take on a huge group of people.

stmcelroy is offline   Reply With Quote