PBCounty

Send a message via AIM to PBCounty
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2XlSXcwJ3o
Old 06-27-2011, 20:42   #3
G33
CLM Number 296
Re-Assigned

What gave it away...the cell phones?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"I'd wager G would waterboard a salmon."--tous

"...those without swords can still die upon them." --Eowyn
G33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 20:47   #4
Kasinefect

Send a message via AIM to Kasinefect
I saw this discussed on another forum. It turned into the usual north vs. south argument that we see here on GlockTalk for the most part.
Kasinefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 21:03   #5
arnold ziffle
aka dingle

The Furball Forum

as told to me by an inmate "you can't touch me there you're not my uncle"
arnold ziffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 21:05   #6
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Why is is foolishness?

History should be remembered. If someone wants to dress up and remember history, so be it.

I remember going to living history museums as a kid. There was one out west that had a mountain man. There was one in the smokies that has pioneers. There was one in a plain state that had different pioneers. I got a kick out of all of them. I probably learned as much from the play actors as the books.
Old 06-27-2011, 21:18   #7
Spike 7.62

I dislike the tone and language of the article. Because the author is tired of the civil war, he is detracting reenactors? I don't really understand his overall point here. Reenactors are doing the leg work of teaching the average American about the civil war. I am fresh out of school (kind of) and I can tell you that students learn nothing from class. Going to reenactments and talking to the guys is how people learn. Some of what the author said is just plain incorrect. I've been reenacting for about 13 years in 2 states with probably 5 different units, confederate and union, and there have never been lotteries or any pre-planning of "who dies first" or when or how. I've also never heard a reenacter try to correct someone by saying they are a "living historian". I've heard people use that term before, but no reenactor I have ever met would be against being called a "reenactor". Also I dont know what spectators have "paid a hefty fee" to gain entry, but every reenactment I've been to has been on public land.

I also dislike how the author brings up slavery. Maybe he forgets that free blacks serving in the confederate army were paid the same as whites, and that blacks in the union army were paid 1/3 the salary of whites and that the famous "buffalo soldiers" weren't paid at all. Or that the north had slavery until the 13th amendment AFTER the war was over.

Like most authors about most things, this guy needs to get his facts straight. Also he should appreciate the efforts of those who share his passion for history and who put their time and effort into this hobby, which includes educating people. This guy gets paid to talk to scholars about things they probably already know on some level. Reenactors are volunteers who take time and money away from their lives to talk to average joe blow from the street about the Civil War.

This article is an opinionated joke.
An' go to yer Gawd like a soldier."
- Rudyard Kipling, in the Korengal Valley

Last edited by Spike 7.62; 06-27-2011 at 21:19..
Spike 7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 21:29   #8
bowbender7
Silly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCounty View Post

bowbender7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 22:25   #9
goldenlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike 7.62 View Post
I dislike the tone and language of the article. Because the author is tired of the civil war, he is detracting reenactors? I don't really understand his overall point here. Reenactors are doing the leg work of teaching the average American about the civil war. I am fresh out of school (kind of) and I can tell you that students learn nothing from class. Going to reenactments and talking to the guys is how people learn. Some of what the author said is just plain incorrect. I've been reenacting for about 13 years in 2 states with probably 5 different units, confederate and union, and there have never been lotteries or any pre-planning of "who dies first" or when or how. I've also never heard a reenacter try to correct someone by saying they are a "living historian". I've heard people use that term before, but no reenactor I have ever met would be against being called a "reenactor". Also I dont know what spectators have "paid a hefty fee" to gain entry, but every reenactment I've been to has been on public land.

I also dislike how the author brings up slavery. Maybe he forgets that free blacks serving in the confederate army were paid the same as whites, and that blacks in the union army were paid 1/3 the salary of whites and that the famous "buffalo soldiers" weren't paid at all. Or that the north had slavery until the 13th amendment AFTER the war was over.

Like most authors about most things, this guy needs to get his facts straight. Also he should appreciate the efforts of those who share his passion for history and who put their time and effort into this hobby, which includes educating people. This guy gets paid to talk to scholars about things they probably already know on some level. Reenactors are volunteers who take time and money away from their lives to talk to average joe blow from the street about the Civil War.

This article is an opinionated joke.
Outstanding post!

The author of that article is, like most professional journalists, ill informed (at BEST) about what he wrote about.
Old 06-27-2011, 22:30   #10
Ruggles

I agree the article was short sighted and closed minded about the importance of remembering history for history's sake. I am sure he is in the minority with his views.
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 22:39   #11
G26S239
NRA Patron

Denigrating others because the author doesn't share their interests is bs. I wonder if Lafantasie would have been happy with opening up with real Cannon fire directed at the Fort at 4:30 am.
Old 06-27-2011, 23:09   #12
Nemesis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
History should be remembered. If someone wants to dress up and remember history, so be it.
Yeah. I just read about a living history wild west re-enactment where one of the participants decided to use live ammo. Shot some tourists.

How's that for realism?
Nemesis. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 23:17   #13
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
I agree the article was short sighted and closed minded about the importance of remembering history for history's sake. I am sure he is in the minority with his views.
Don't be.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 00:17   #14
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
Quote:
In fact, the "living historians" at Charleston fudged the history more than a little by firing their first shot at the fort at 6:45 in the morning rather than at the very famous historical time of 4:30 a.m.
Quote:
Then, when the mortar shot was finally fired to begin the reenactment, it barely sailed up 40 yards or so into the sky, although the noise it made was, according to the Charleston Post and Courier, "thunderous." But the newspaper also reported that the pyrotechnics left something to be desired: Rather than the "star shell" of a century and a half ago, the explosion seemed more like a "bottle rocket." The fireworks technician in charge of the mortar shot explained that the burst was "intentionally weak, as a safety precaution to the crowds of people on hand to witness the waterfront ceremony." So much for historical accuracy.
I read the link until I came across the above two quoted areas. Then I laughed at the author and closed the tab.

Does this guy honestly think the re enactments should start at 4:30am just because the battle did? How many people do you think would be there to see it? I doubt many were there at 6:45am either.

Apparently they should also use full power realistic explosions according to the author.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:47   #15
jlh2600
Game Master

I hate it when people get picky about "historical accuracy" in reinactments!

http://video.soha.vn/watch/2/video/456058
jlh2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:20   #16
Highspeedlane
NRA Life Member

Even worse are irrelevant writers who reenact journalism and fail miserably at it.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:51   #17
USMCSergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highspeedlane View Post
Even worse are irrelevant writers who reenact journalism and fail miserably at it.
Good post
USMCSergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:53   #18
G26S239
NRA Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highspeedlane View Post
Old 06-28-2011, 03:00   #19
CLM Number 101
Monkeyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnold ziffle View Post
The Furball Forum

Politicians and judges who voted for, and supported, Obamacare are traitors to the country!
Con, the first 3 letters in Congress.
UN, the first 2 letters in UNnecessary.
12131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:58   #20
GLWyandotte
Carbon User

Hey it could be worse- it could be a Renaissance Festival.
Now those people are goofballs.

Formerly Glockerel, 2003
GLWyandotte is offline   Reply With Quote