GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 20:24   #1
Smashy
Senior Member
 
Smashy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southwestern Oregon
Posts: 14,668
The foolishness of Civil War reenactors

http://www.salon.com/news/politics/w...squicentennial
Smashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 20:41   #2
PBCounty
Senior Member
 
PBCounty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Palm Beach County, FL
Posts: 16,574
Send a message via AIM to PBCounty
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2XlSXcwJ3o
__________________
Fleece it out, dinkin' flicka.
PBCounty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 20:42   #3
G33
CLM Number 296
Re-Assigned
 
G33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: With G29
Posts: 57,772


What gave it away...the cell phones?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


"I'd wager G would waterboard a salmon."--tous

"...those without swords can still die upon them." --Eowyn
G33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 20:47   #4
Kasinefect
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Central Alabama
Posts: 2,057
Send a message via AIM to Kasinefect
I saw this discussed on another forum. It turned into the usual north vs. south argument that we see here on GlockTalk for the most part.
Kasinefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 21:03   #5
arnold ziffle
aka dingle
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: sacramento ca
Posts: 1,686
The Furball Forum
__________________
training to be a catastrophic failure of the victim selection process.

as told to me by an inmate "you can't touch me there you're not my uncle"
arnold ziffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 21:05   #6
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA
 
RWBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 27,824
Why is is foolishness?

History should be remembered. If someone wants to dress up and remember history, so be it.

I remember going to living history museums as a kid. There was one out west that had a mountain man. There was one in the smokies that has pioneers. There was one in a plain state that had different pioneers. I got a kick out of all of them. I probably learned as much from the play actors as the books.
__________________
One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
RWBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 21:18   #7
Spike 7.62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 138
I dislike the tone and language of the article. Because the author is tired of the civil war, he is detracting reenactors? I don't really understand his overall point here. Reenactors are doing the leg work of teaching the average American about the civil war. I am fresh out of school (kind of) and I can tell you that students learn nothing from class. Going to reenactments and talking to the guys is how people learn. Some of what the author said is just plain incorrect. I've been reenacting for about 13 years in 2 states with probably 5 different units, confederate and union, and there have never been lotteries or any pre-planning of "who dies first" or when or how. I've also never heard a reenacter try to correct someone by saying they are a "living historian". I've heard people use that term before, but no reenactor I have ever met would be against being called a "reenactor". Also I dont know what spectators have "paid a hefty fee" to gain entry, but every reenactment I've been to has been on public land.

I also dislike how the author brings up slavery. Maybe he forgets that free blacks serving in the confederate army were paid the same as whites, and that blacks in the union army were paid 1/3 the salary of whites and that the famous "buffalo soldiers" weren't paid at all. Or that the north had slavery until the 13th amendment AFTER the war was over.

Like most authors about most things, this guy needs to get his facts straight. Also he should appreciate the efforts of those who share his passion for history and who put their time and effort into this hobby, which includes educating people. This guy gets paid to talk to scholars about things they probably already know on some level. Reenactors are volunteers who take time and money away from their lives to talk to average joe blow from the street about the Civil War.

This article is an opinionated joke.
__________________
"When yer wounded an' left on Afghanistan's plains,
An' the women come out to cut up yer remains,
Just roll to yer rifle, an' blow out yer brains,
An' go to yer Gawd like a soldier."
- Rudyard Kipling, in the Korengal Valley

Last edited by Spike 7.62; 06-27-2011 at 21:19..
Spike 7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 21:29   #8
bowbender7
Silly
 
bowbender7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: S.W. MO
Posts: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCounty View Post
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bowbender7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 22:25   #9
goldenlight
Senior Member
 
goldenlight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike 7.62 View Post
I dislike the tone and language of the article. Because the author is tired of the civil war, he is detracting reenactors? I don't really understand his overall point here. Reenactors are doing the leg work of teaching the average American about the civil war. I am fresh out of school (kind of) and I can tell you that students learn nothing from class. Going to reenactments and talking to the guys is how people learn. Some of what the author said is just plain incorrect. I've been reenacting for about 13 years in 2 states with probably 5 different units, confederate and union, and there have never been lotteries or any pre-planning of "who dies first" or when or how. I've also never heard a reenacter try to correct someone by saying they are a "living historian". I've heard people use that term before, but no reenactor I have ever met would be against being called a "reenactor". Also I dont know what spectators have "paid a hefty fee" to gain entry, but every reenactment I've been to has been on public land.

I also dislike how the author brings up slavery. Maybe he forgets that free blacks serving in the confederate army were paid the same as whites, and that blacks in the union army were paid 1/3 the salary of whites and that the famous "buffalo soldiers" weren't paid at all. Or that the north had slavery until the 13th amendment AFTER the war was over.

Like most authors about most things, this guy needs to get his facts straight. Also he should appreciate the efforts of those who share his passion for history and who put their time and effort into this hobby, which includes educating people. This guy gets paid to talk to scholars about things they probably already know on some level. Reenactors are volunteers who take time and money away from their lives to talk to average joe blow from the street about the Civil War.

This article is an opinionated joke.
Outstanding post!

The author of that article is, like most professional journalists, ill informed (at BEST) about what he wrote about.
__________________
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress... but then I repeat myself.
-Mark Twain
goldenlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 22:30   #10
Ruggles
Senior Member
 
Ruggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tejas
Posts: 8,894
I agree the article was short sighted and closed minded about the importance of remembering history for history's sake. I am sure he is in the minority with his views.
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 22:39   #11
G26S239
NRA Patron
 
G26S239's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PRK
Posts: 10,062
Denigrating others because the author doesn't share their interests is bs. I wonder if Lafantasie would have been happy with opening up with real Cannon fire directed at the Fort at 4:30 am.
__________________
Glock 17, 19, 21, 26 X 2, 32 and 36.
Proud member of the PigPen. Embrace the Pignose.
G26S239 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 23:09   #12
Nemesis.
Senior Member
 
Nemesis.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
History should be remembered. If someone wants to dress up and remember history, so be it.
Yeah. I just read about a living history wild west re-enactment where one of the participants decided to use live ammo. Shot some tourists.

How's that for realism?
Nemesis. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 23:17   #13
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.
 
kirgi08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Acme proving grounds.
Posts: 27,518
Blog Entries: 1


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
I agree the article was short sighted and closed minded about the importance of remembering history for history's sake. I am sure he is in the minority with his views.
Don't be.'08.
__________________
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 00:17   #14
captainstormy
Senior Member
 
captainstormy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 4,367
Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
Quote:
In fact, the "living historians" at Charleston fudged the history more than a little by firing their first shot at the fort at 6:45 in the morning rather than at the very famous historical time of 4:30 a.m.
Quote:
Then, when the mortar shot was finally fired to begin the reenactment, it barely sailed up 40 yards or so into the sky, although the noise it made was, according to the Charleston Post and Courier, "thunderous." But the newspaper also reported that the pyrotechnics left something to be desired: Rather than the "star shell" of a century and a half ago, the explosion seemed more like a "bottle rocket." The fireworks technician in charge of the mortar shot explained that the burst was "intentionally weak, as a safety precaution to the crowds of people on hand to witness the waterfront ceremony." So much for historical accuracy.
I read the link until I came across the above two quoted areas. Then I laughed at the author and closed the tab.

Does this guy honestly think the re enactments should start at 4:30am just because the battle did? How many people do you think would be there to see it? I doubt many were there at 6:45am either.

Apparently they should also use full power realistic explosions according to the author.
__________________
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. - John Bernard Books(John Wayne in The Shootist)
captainstormy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:47   #15
jlh2600
Game Master
 
jlh2600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,707
I hate it when people get picky about "historical accuracy" in reinactments!

http://video.soha.vn/watch/2/video/456058
jlh2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:20   #16
Highspeedlane
NRA Life Member
 
Highspeedlane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: MA and N.C.
Posts: 3,580
Even worse are irrelevant writers who reenact journalism and fail miserably at it.
__________________
I'm a non-paid, non-attorney spokesman.
Highspeedlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:51   #17
USMCSergeant
Senior Member
 
USMCSergeant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highspeedlane View Post
Even worse are irrelevant writers who reenact journalism and fail miserably at it.
Good post
USMCSergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:53   #18
G26S239
NRA Patron
 
G26S239's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PRK
Posts: 10,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highspeedlane View Post
Even worse are irrelevant writers who reenact journalism and fail miserably at it.
__________________
Glock 17, 19, 21, 26 X 2, 32 and 36.
Proud member of the PigPen. Embrace the Pignose.
G26S239 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:00   #19
12131
CLM Number 101
Monkeyboy
 
12131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: God's Country (Texas)
Posts: 11,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnold ziffle View Post
The Furball Forum
__________________
NRA Lifer, GOA Lifer, SAF Lifer
Commie libs, criminals, and sheeple love gun control. It's easier to blame inanimate objects than the killers themselves.
Andrew Cuomo & Michael Bloomberg = Friends of criminals

Politicians and judges who voted for, and supported, Obamacare are traitors to the country!
Con, the first 3 letters in Congress.
UN, the first 2 letters in UNnecessary.
12131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:58   #20
GLWyandotte
Carbon User
 
GLWyandotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell
Posts: 4,177
Hey it could be worse- it could be a Renaissance Festival.
Now those people are goofballs.
__________________
Leather boots are still in style for manly footwear; beads and Roman sandals won't be seen.

Formerly Glockerel, 2003
GLWyandotte is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 15:51.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,222
346 Members
876 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42