Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-15-2011, 19:49   #1
Old Junes

Uncle Mike's IWB?

Picked up an Uncle Mike's IWB holster today for $13.99. I am using it to conceal my G19. I looked at a bunch of holsters and for the money could not find anything that concealed quite as well with shorts and a t-shirt.

That said, I am a big believer that you get what you pay for and I am concerned about quality, reliability, etc.

What are your thoughts on this holster?
Old 06-15-2011, 20:09   #2
1canvas

i have a lot of holsters for my 23 but i sometimes use an uncle mikes. its light, super thin, and waterproof. i sometimes use it in the summer when i will be sweating a lot. it is my shorts and t shirt holster also.
1canvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 23:36   #3
NickC50310

Send a message via AIM to NickC50310
I have had one for several years. I just got my CWP so decided to get serious. My supertuck arrived this week and there is no comparison between them. The uncle mikes made my full size fnx feel bulky, large, and uncomfortable. The supertuck literally makes the gun disappear and it is SUPER comfortable. Seriously, its night and day. Im a big time cheapskate and thought all the expensive holster hoopla was just that. ITS NOT. Best $90 I have spent in a LONG time. I will still use my uncle mikes for carrying in sweats and gym shorts but for daily attire like jeans and a shirt, super tuck with an uncle mikes instructor belt is where its at!
NickC50310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:29   #4
ranburr1

Anything with the name Uncle Mike associated with it is going to be of low quality. They are price point products not known for quality. If money is an issue, look at some of the offerings from Safariland.
ranburr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:57   #5
Old Junes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickC50310 View Post
I have had one for several years. I just got my CWP so decided to get serious. My supertuck arrived this week and there is no comparison between them. The uncle mikes made my full size fnx feel bulky, large, and uncomfortable. The supertuck literally makes the gun disappear and it is SUPER comfortable. Seriously, its night and day. Im a big time cheapskate and thought all the expensive holster hoopla was just that. ITS NOT. Best $90 I have spent in a LONG time. I will still use my uncle mikes for carrying in sweats and gym shorts but for daily attire like jeans and a shirt, super tuck with an uncle mikes instructor belt is where its at!
That's the other holster I've been seriously looking at! I hate to spend the $90 bucks without being to try one on first. But you are about the 1,000,000th person to tell me how much they love it so I may just need to give it a shot

This is potentially a dumb question, but how does it secure to your pants? It seems to lack some of the traditional clips, snaps, etc...

Last edited by Old Junes; 06-16-2011 at 06:59..
Old Junes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:58   #6
Old Junes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranburr1 View Post
Anything with the name Uncle Mike associated with it is going to be of low quality. They are price point products not known for quality. If money is an issue, look at some of the offerings from Safariland.
Thank you for that recommendation. I haven't looked at their stuff... will definitely check em' out!
Old 06-16-2011, 07:12   #7
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

Safariland is good quality, but I found their holsters to be terrible for concealment. Most of their holsters are also suede lined inside, which picks up dirt and moisture which can damage your gun.

Try the Comp-tac Infidel. Milt-Sparks is good if you want leather. In holsters, you get what you pay for.
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:33   #8
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

Safariland holsters and their lining don't cause damage, not to glocks anyway. But they're overkill for ccw'ers. Uncle Mikes is horrible quality, and their one-size-fits-most felt holsters with one clip are downright unsafe. There's plenty to choose from in between.
Old 06-16-2011, 18:02   #9
NickC50310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Junes View Post
That's the other holster I've been seriously looking at! I hate to spend the $90 bucks without being to try one on first. But you are about the 1,000,000th person to tell me how much they love it so I may just need to give it a shot

This is potentially a dumb question, but how does it secure to your pants? It seems to lack some of the traditional clips, snaps, etc...
They secure with these clips
Carry Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
Safariland holsters and their lining don't cause damage, not to glocks anyway. But they're overkill for ccw'ers. Uncle Mikes is horrible quality, and their one-size-fits-most felt holsters with one clip are downright unsafe. There's plenty to choose from in between.
What makes it unsafe? It covers the trigger. I still wear mine when going gym shorts or sweats. The only thing bad that I have experienced is on my fnx the safety gets turned off when adjusting it. I just check to make sure my safety is on periodically. I carry an FNX, cocked and locked safety on.
Old 06-16-2011, 19:12   #10
rfb45colt
safe-cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Junes View Post
But you are about the 1,000,000th person to tell me how much they love it so I may just need to give it a shot
Then let me be 1,000,001. Before getting the Crossbreed Supertuck for my G19, I gave up on IWB carry. Nothing I tried (including uncle mikes) worked... after a few hours, it became so uncomfortable, I'd just take it off and "Mexican carry" in small-of-the-back. The Supertuck just seems to "disappear" when I wear it. I heard about it right here too, about 3-4 yrs ago. Been very pleased, worth every cent.
Old 06-16-2011, 19:17   #11
NickC50310

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb45colt View Post
Then let me be 1,000,001. Before getting the Crossbreed Supertuck for my G19, I gave up on IWB carry. Nothing I tried (including uncle mikes) worked... after a few hours, it became so uncomfortable, I'd just take it off and "Mexican carry" in small-of-the-back. The Supertuck just seems to "disappear" when I wear it. I heard about it right here too, about 3-4 yrs ago. Been very pleased, worth every cent.
NOW THATS DANGEROUS! LOL! Be careful man!
Old 06-16-2011, 19:23   #12
rfb45colt
safe-cracker

Quote:
NOW THATS DANGEROUS! LOL! Be careful man!
What? But I saw it in the movies hundreds of times!!!

Seriously.... thanks to my Supertuck, I haven't done it in years. It was disconcerting feeling the muzzle settle into the top of my buttcrack.
Old 06-16-2011, 19:24   #13
John Galt
Anti-Federalist

Uncle Mikes quality is not the greatest, but I like the way it holds my J-frame. I like a very low riding IWB and every other holster I've tried just rides to high. They're cheap so I usually go through one or two a year.

The only person that makes slavery possible... is the slave.
John Galt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:12   #14
Old Junes

Quote:
What? But I saw it in the movies hundreds of times!!!

Seriously.... thanks to my Supertuck, I haven't done it in years. It was disconcerting feeling the muzzle settle into the top of my buttcrack.
Oh. My. Gosh. I actually laughed out loud... haha!
Old 06-17-2011, 07:19   #15
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

They don't secure adequately to the belt, much less to a pair of sweat pants, they aren't made to fit the specific gun, and don't hold it securely, and the fabric is too thin to ensure nothing enters the trigger guard. One of the first holsters I owned decades ago before I knew any better.

Quote:
What makes it unsafe? It covers the trigger. I still wear mine when going gym shorts or sweats. The only thing bad that I have experienced is on my fnx the safety gets turned off when adjusting it. I just check to make sure my safety is on periodically. I carry an FNX, cocked and locked safety on.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:19   #16
Old Junes

Quote:
Ok ok ok... you got me! Just ordered the Crossbreed SuperTuck Deluxe in Horsehide. I've got a long 4-6 week wait ahead of me, but it sounds like it will be well worth the wait. Thank you all for the advice...

P.S. The folks at Crossbreed must absolutely LOVE GlockTalk!
Old 06-17-2011, 10:48   #17
Steel Head
Tactical Cat

I carried my g23 in a uncle mikes while I was waiting for my M-TAC.
For $12 it's not a bad holster for the money not super secure but simewhat comfy-for another 68 bucks you can get a holster that's a 1000 times better.
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:04   #18
gilfo

If they would put a better clip even if it cost a little more they would be great. Thin, lightweight and comfortable.
gilfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:23   #19
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranburr1 View Post
*Some* of their Duty gear is pretty good... but for the most part, all uncle mikes CCW stuff is crap.

I've also never heard of using a Crossbreed, etc.. w/o a belt. You might have some issues there since you want to know how it secures "to your pants".

Might as well start shopping for a gun belt, that will be your next thread.

Really for shorts and shirt, easy concealment, etc.. Smart carry is pretty simple.
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 06-17-2011 at 11:25..
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:28   #20
Old Junes

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
*Some* of their Duty gear is pretty good... but for the most part, all uncle mikes CCW stuff is crap.

I've also never heard of using a Crossbreed, etc.. w/o a belt. You might have some issues there since you want to know how it secures "to your pants".

Might as well start shopping for a gun belt, that will be your next thread.

Really for shorts and shirt, easy concealment, etc.. Smart carry is pretty simple.
Oh, sorry if I wasn't more clear... belt... pants... same thing, right?

I actually have a great gun belt that I use with a Blackhawk Serpa, just needed a better alternative for CC during the summer months when layering clothing isn't a practical option. It looks like the Crossbreed Supertuck will be the solution I've been looking for.

After looking at the pictures it is pretty obvious how it attaches to the belt... no idea how I didn't see it!

Oh well... thanks for the response!

Tags
concealed carry, glock 19, holster, uncle mike's