Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:26   #61
NMPOPS

Send a message via ICQ to NMPOPS
I've carried one every day for over 5 years with the lock. 1000+ rounds, no problems. I also have a 638 w/ lock and almost as many rounds. When I retired I pretty much qit carrying square guns in favor of my two S&Ws with no worries whatsoever.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:57   #62
Mail Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx04 View Post
I just picked up my first 642 after trading in my p22. It's a nice little gun, but the only problem is it has the ILS. Even though the chance of the lock ever becoming a problem is small, something about it bugs me. Do any of you carry one with the lock?
I have one but never activate the lock. No kids in my house and with the lock activate it won't go boom when the assailant is about to stab you.

Mail Clerk
Old 06-08-2011, 04:32   #63
fowler

Grind the flag off. I had one early and it locked up shooting hot 125gr.hp,s. I picked up a 642-1 no lock about 5years ago and never looked back. Won,t buy a SW with a lock,no thankyou. A favorite with the late Steven Camp . A great 24/7 ccw weapon.
fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 13:38   #64
captcurly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaledriver View Post
I have for a couple of years. Every time I go shooting, I draw it from my pocket holster and fire five shots.....it always go bang. Personally it does not bother me. There are plenty of internet stories saying otherwise. Until it fails me I will continue to use it.
What you said, whaledriver. There is a lot of crap on the internet about a lot of things. We use to have urban legends now we have internet legends.
captcurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 16:45   #65
fowler

Twice a 642 -2 locked up once for me and another at the range. Shooting 125gr. plus-p. Maybe they will not lock up with standard mild factory ammo,but it did for me shooting Cor-bon and my pal shooting ww110+P+. No lock for me thankyou!!!! Cyl. locked up solid ,could not pull trigger.

Last edited by fowler; 06-12-2011 at 16:45..
fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 22:19   #66
fastbolt

Hey, the thread came back online ...

FWIW, the J-frame I decided to take with me during an out-of-state trip (just got back) under LEOSA was my M&P 340. The one with the ILS. Not either of my 642-1's, my 649-4 or my 37-2, none of which have ILS's.

Why? Because the front night sight & U-shaped rear notch on the M&P give me a noticeable edge in aimed fire when I take time to catch a sight. Handy.

I have another M&P 340 on order, coincidentally enough, this time the new model variation made without a ILS.

Why? Because they finally made one without the ILS and I liked my first one so well I was waiting for an excuse to buy a second one. Why not one without the ILS?

I'll keep my original one for use in a backup role to the new one (once the new one proves itself functional) and to use as a "range beater", to see if I can ever wear it out. While I do occasionally use .357 Magnum loads for practice & quals, I mostly use a mix of various +P (at least 4 loads I can think of off the top of my head) and standard pressure loads (budget practice).

BTW, I've experienced ... and had other folks bring to me ... revolvers, including S&W J-frames (with & without the ILS) which have had the hammer, trigger or cylinder "lock up", seize, etc. There are other mechanical (and owner-induced) things that can happen with a revolver which can cause such a problem, even in models without a ILS.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote