SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-30-2011, 20:24   #7441
sawgrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemeinschaft View Post
My battle hardened uncle gave me a great tidbit of advice before I was deployed. In his words -

"The only thing that typically makes the difference between bravery and stupidity, is the Outcome." - Uncle Tom N.

After some experience of my own, that statement has made a lot of sense and many times has helped me accept the outcome off many things.

That being said, I hope you are feeling better. Tell Hadji I said hi.
Giving LW an opening like that...oh boy. LW Greg knew what he was doing, and he died a very honorable American Soldier at war death. You would have done the same for him.
Old 05-30-2011, 20:39   #7442
gemeinschaft
AKA Fluffy316

Send a message via AIM to gemeinschaft Send a message via Yahoo to gemeinschaft Send a message via Skype™ to gemeinschaft
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawgrass View Post
Giving LW an opening like that...oh boy. LW Greg knew what he was doing, and he died a very honorable American Soldier at war death. You would have done the same for him.
LW knows exactly where I am coming from and I mean no disrespect towards Greg.

I have lost quite a few of my close brothers to combat (one is enough) and had to deal with it. It took me a long time to settle some of the demons that I brought back as a result.

What is my point? I am sure Greg fully knew that what he was doing would likely lead to his own death, but he was not about to leave his coffee drinking comrade on the battlefield alone.

I think one of the best things that could come from this is for LW to come home and find Greg's family and tell them what happened. It will help heal their wounds and help LW with her own wounds.

LW, I look forward to hearing back from you one of these days when you have time to write.
Old 05-31-2011, 19:23   #7443
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
My battle hardened uncle gave me a great tidbit of advice before I was deployed. In his words -

"The only thing that typically makes the difference between bravery and stupidity, is the Outcome." - Uncle Tom N.

After some experience of my own, that statement has made a lot of sense and many times has helped me accept the outcome off many things.

That being said, I hope you are feeling better. Tell Hadji I said hi.
I've hear that one before, and trust me, I've called Greg and his actions stupid many times. I tend to do it more often when I'm really down or hurting so bad I don't want to still be alive.

Sure, I'll wave Hi to the hajjis around here, but I won't promise to use more than one finger.

Quote:
sawgrass, when I read that first part I'll admit I laughed so hard I had to reach for another pain pill.

Yeah, what Greg did was honorable. Stupid, but honorable. I like to think I'd have done the same thing for him, but in the heat of the battle I might have cowered my chicken**** ass behind the rocks and done nothing. I hop not, but I don't know.

Quote:
LW knows exactly where I am coming from and I mean no disrespect towards Greg.

I have lost quite a few of my close brothers to combat (one is enough) and had to deal with it. It took me a long time to settle some of the demons that I brought back as a result.

What is my point? I am sure Greg fully knew that what he was doing would likely lead to his own death, but he was not about to leave his coffee drinking comrade on the battlefield alone.

I think one of the best things that could come from this is for LW to come home and find Greg's family and tell them what happened. It will help heal their wounds and help LW with her own wounds.

LW, I look forward to hearing back from you one of these days when you have time to write.
He had to know he'd most likely get shot, because that last Afghani was so close to me he about couldn't miss from what I was told. If I could talk to him I think the first thing I'd ask would be "What the hell were you thinking?!?"

I couldn't imagine meeting his family or them wanting to meet me. After all, if not for me he'd still be alive. No telling how they might react to me.

I'll write back when I can. I've actually got several messages I need ro respond to, some I've had for a while. Some of the longer or more intense ones I have a hard time responding to because I don't do well with the emotional overload.

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

RIP my friends Greg and Florence, see you again on the other side.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

RIP Jeff (23Skidoo) - 1962-2012 and Gloria (Silent_Runner) - 1964-2013
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Lone_Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 20:26   #7444
BobInTX

"I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me". Philippians 4:13.
BobInTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 00:01   #7445
gemeinschaft
AKA Fluffy316

Send a message via AIM to gemeinschaft Send a message via Yahoo to gemeinschaft Send a message via Skype™ to gemeinschaft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe View Post
Sure, I'll wave Hi to the hajjis around here, but I won't promise to use more than one finger.
Yes, please do that for me. Tell them if they don't settle down, I'll come back to the sandbox and bury more of them.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:12   #7446
BobInTX

Quote:
I've hear that one before, and trust me, I've called Greg and his actions stupid many times. I tend to do it more often when I'm really down or hurting so bad I don't want to still be alive.

sawgrass, when I read that first part I'll admit I laughed so hard I had to reach for another pain pill.

Yeah, what Greg did was honorable. Stupid, but honorable. I like to think I'd have done the same thing for him, but in the heat of the battle I might have cowered my chicken**** ass behind the rocks and done nothing. I hop not, but I don't know.

He had to know he'd most likely get shot, because that last Afghani was so close to me he about couldn't miss from what I was told. If I could talk to him I think the first thing I'd ask would be "What the hell were you thinking?!?"

I couldn't imagine meeting his family or them wanting to meet me. After all, if not for me he'd still be alive. No telling how they might react to me.
Well, if it was me I'd say "I was saving your ass!"

How are you feeling? Can you tell any difference from the surgery they did?
Old 06-01-2011, 11:00   #7447
Silent_Runner
Can you hear me

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobInTX View Post

I like that answer.

Quote:
Yes, please do that for me. Tell them if they don't settle down, I'll come back to the sandbox and bury more of them.
Feel free to go and do that anyway.

Quote:
Wolfe I think if you could do it Greg's family would be glad to meet you. You said before that they know he died a hero so why would they not want to meet the person he saved? I think they would be very happy to know that his death was not in vain and the person he saved had survived her injuries and had even gone on to save someone else's life. If it were one of my children who had died saving the life of another I would want to someday meet that person.

How is your chest feeling?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe
I mean, Iím mentally ill, not mentally deficient! There's a difference between psycho and stupid.
Rest in Peace Jeff Abshire-1962-2012-aka 23Skidoo
Silent_Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 18:55   #7448
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
"What the hell were you thinking?!?"
Quote:
"Are you out of your mind?!?! You were OK, look at the condition I was in. I almost died anyway, and you could have been fine!!!"

Quote:
Want me to go to billeting and get you a room?

Quote:
I'm still hurting like hell. I can't tell any real difference yet because I've had to stay as immobile as possible in the shoulders, arms, etc. My terrorist only started back working a little on range of motion today, and he's still keeping that real limited. I haven't been able to stretch of lift anything at all yet. The anti-inflammatories seem to be helping that problem some, but thrashing around in my sleep isn't helping that or the repair at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Runner View Post
Wolfe I think if you could do it Greg's family would be glad to meet you. You said before that they know he died a hero so why would they not want to meet the person he saved? I think they would be very happy to know that his death was not in vain and the person he saved had survived her injuries and had even gone on to save someone else's life. If it were one of my children who had died saving the life of another I would want to someday meet that person.

How is your chest feeling?
Yes, they know he was a hero and the basic details. How do you know seeing me wouldn't just be a painful reminder to them? What if they blamed me in spite of the fact that I was dirt napping when Greg came out? After all, I shouldn't have been on that convoy i first place.

You already know how my chest feels.

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 06-01-2011, 19:36   #7449
gemeinschaft
AKA Fluffy316

Quote:

Want me to go to billeting and get you a room?
Can you book that room for two? I promised my son I would take him shooting, might as well be for a good cause.
Old 06-02-2011, 18:45   #7450
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Can you book that room for two? I promised my son I would take him shooting, might as well be for a good cause.
One room for 2, ready and waiting! Beds turned back and mints on pillows.

My doc seems happy with the results of my arthroscopy, at least so far. He's not having me stretch and pull yet, but he says my rib is staying in place better. It still hurts like hell, but I'm not getting quite the spasms I was before. They're far from gone completely, but I'll take any relief I can get.

My shrink seemed pretty happy about our session today too, he made the comment that I seemed to have dumped most of the crap out of me head, and not it's time to start putting it all back in. **** that, why would I want to put it back in?

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 06-02-2011, 20:09   #7451
BobInTX

Quote:
One room for 2, ready and waiting! Beds turned back and mints on pillows.

My doc seems happy with the results of my arthroscopy, at least so far. He's not having me stretch and pull yet, but he says my rib is staying in place better. It still hurts like hell, but I'm not getting quite the spasms I was before. They're far from gone completely, but I'll take any relief I can get.

My shrink seemed pretty happy about our session today too, he made the comment that I seemed to have dumped most of the crap out of me head, and not it's time to start putting it all back in. **** that, why would I want to put it back in?
Well, I guess he wants you to put it back in in a more orderly fashion. Does he still want you to do the writings?

I'm glad the surgery was successful.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:15   #7452
sawgrass

LW good to hear that your chest is improving.
I agree that Greg's family would likely benefit from meeting you.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:22   #7453
BobInTX

Nice sigline, sawgrass. I must admit I've been guilty of both.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:40   #7454
Silent_Runner
Can you hear me

Quote:
Make that a room for three. I need a good shooting session myself.

Quote:
Nice sigline, sawgrass. I must admit I've been guilty of both.
You are not the only one.

Quote:
LW good to hear that your chest is improving.
Wolfe I think enough of us agree that you should give this some thought.

Quote:

That is excellent news that your chest is recovering well. Your doctor is being honest with you when he says you will never be free of pain but you can get a lot better than you are now.

I think the reason your shrink wants you to put it back in is much like what BobInTX said. You have to find a place to put it and accept it. Discarding those memories is not an option and you have already said that. You would not ever want to forget what Greg did for you and neither should you. We should all remember and honor him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe
I mean, Iím mentally ill, not mentally deficient! There's a difference between psycho and stupid.
Rest in Peace Jeff Abshire-1962-2012-aka 23Skidoo
Silent_Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 15:40   #7455
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Well, I guess he wants you to put it back in in a more orderly fashion. Does he still want you to do the writings?

I'm glad the surgery was successful.
Friends, I'll have to write more tomorrow. I've been having a breathing attack for several hours that's getting worse all of a sudden and I've got a ride coming. Hopefully they'll get it to quit soon.

Bob, Yes, my shrink wants me to do the writing. Grrrrrrr

Nite all

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 06-03-2011, 15:53   #7456
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

Quote:
I agree. Just as if you were the recipient of a donor organ. In fact, you WERE the recipient of a donation. Greg donated his life for you to have one.

Personally, I believe that it is not the donor giving an organ to keep the recipient alive; it is the recipient using their body to keep the donated organ alive.

Therefore, rather than thinking of Greg giving his life for yours; you are giving your body to keep his life (and memory) alive.
Old 06-03-2011, 16:24   #7457
gemeinschaft
AKA Fluffy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyJacket View Post
I agree. Just as if you were the recipient of a donor organ. In fact, you WERE the recipient of a donation. Greg donated his life for you to have one.

Personally, I believe that it is not the donor giving an organ to keep the recipient alive; it is the recipient using their body to keep the donated organ alive.

Therefore, rather than thinking of Greg giving his life for yours; you are giving your body to keep his life (and memory) alive.

EXCELLENT POST!!!

LW, the next time you are having difficulty breathing, it is ok to put down the keyboard and just sit back and relax.

Personally, I hope when you get back, you are able to take a week in a cabin in Estes Park, CO with someone that you care about and you can spend your mornings waking up early just to watch the sun coming up over the mountains in the cool morning breeze.

I did just that when I cam back from a deployment it was good medicine.
Old 06-03-2011, 17:07   #7458
BobInTX

^^^ providing it's summertime, of course.

That sounds wonderful.
Old 06-03-2011, 18:39   #7459
23skidoo
Deceased

Quote:
Friends, I'll have to write more tomorrow. I've been having a breathing attack for several hours that's getting worse all of a sudden and I've got a ride coming. Hopefully they'll get it to quit soon.

Bob, Yes, my shrink wants me to do the writing. Grrrrrrr

Nite all
Feel better soon Sweetheart.
Old 06-03-2011, 18:43   #7460
okie
GT Mayor

Keep your chin up sweetheart. Love ya honey
okie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
angel soldier, breast cancer, chemotherapy, coming home, gtds, kicking cancer's ass, one giant leap!, rip jeff and gloria, whip those demons!