SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:38   #1
johns9761
New Glock Fan!!

Attended My First IDPA Match

I just attended the IDPA shoot held by the Indiana County Bow and Gun Club (in Indiana, PA) on May 07th. WHAT A BLAST! General Competition I have to say that I learned a lot about how my gun and I perform under dynamic shooting conditions. My gun ran great. I, on the other hand, did not. Although, I can say that I had a consistent sight picture...consistently terrible. For the first few stages I was so focused on speed that my technique went right down the crapper. It wasn't until after the 3rd of 5 stages that I began to slow down and make my hits count. And guess what, my time actually improved a little. Now how 'bout that?!?! I guess "smooth is fast" after all!

I was running my Remington 1911R1 (slightly modified). Although taking my Glock 17 would have probably been better, and cheaper, my 1911 is my carry gun so I wanted to get some good "real-world" simulation with it. She ran like a total champ. We only had one FTF and that was 100% operator error. I didn't properly seat the magazine prior to starting the stage. Nothing a quick tap-rack-bang didn't fix.

If anybody is interested, the ICBGC does an IDPA match the first Saturday of every month from March through October (registration starts promptly at 0900). Rumor has it, the Oct match is going to be a 3-gun shoot. If you want directions or more info, feel free to PM me. The matches are well laid out and the "old-timers" really try to help out the new guys.

Here is a link to the club website: http://icbgc.com/index.php/8-schedul...schedules.html
Old 05-11-2011, 06:34   #2
Keyhole

Glad you had fun. I really enjoy my local IDPA group. And if you haven't heard it already, focus on accuracy and let the speed come later.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:08   #3
November Sunrise

great

I began last spring my self and haven't looked back. I shoot 1-2 times a week on the range and go to every match i can.
How do you like your Remington 1911? I am looking very closely at one myself.
I Love my LCT AND MY DILLON 550
And I Vote !
November Sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:11   #4
ronin.45

Congrats on your first match. It sounds like you are ahead of the game in knowing what you need to work on. Keep it up, it really is a blast.

Make sure you hit up the 3-gun match. IDPA with all the toys is even better.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:06   #5
DustyDawg48

That is great that you started doing that. Showing up for the first match is the most difficult thing you'll do. And you are right that nothing shines a light on what skills need work more than operating under stress. Just keep at it and post when you have a match!
Glock 21 Club member #1109
NRA Life Member
IDPA Member
WSSC of Indiana Member
DustyDawg48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:21   #6
Huber
G1 Niner Rockin

Congrats now its in your blood
Huber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 23:27   #7
Alaskapopo
NRA ENDOWMENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns9761 View Post
I just attended the IDPA shoot held by the Indiana County Bow and Gun Club (in Indiana, PA) on May 07th. WHAT A BLAST! General Competition I have to say that I learned a lot about how my gun and I perform under dynamic shooting conditions. My gun ran great. I, on the other hand, did not. Although, I can say that I had a consistent sight picture...consistently terrible. For the first few stages I was so focused on speed that my technique went right down the crapper. It wasn't until after the 3rd of 5 stages that I began to slow down and make my hits count. And guess what, my time actually improved a little. Now how 'bout that?!?! I guess "smooth is fast" after all!

I was running my Remington 1911R1 (slightly modified). Although taking my Glock 17 would have probably been better, and cheaper, my 1911 is my carry gun so I wanted to get some good "real-world" simulation with it. She ran like a total champ. We only had one FTF and that was 100% operator error. I didn't properly seat the magazine prior to starting the stage. Nothing a quick tap-rack-bang didn't fix.

If anybody is interested, the ICBGC does an IDPA match the first Saturday of every month from March through October (registration starts promptly at 0900). Rumor has it, the Oct match is going to be a 3-gun shoot. If you want directions or more info, feel free to PM me. The matches are well laid out and the "old-timers" really try to help out the new guys.

Here is a link to the club website: http://icbgc.com/index.php/8-schedul...schedules.html
Shooting competition is addicting. I started with IDPA then tried USPSA then three gun. I love shooting all of it.
Pat
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA B class
Alaskapopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:32   #8
johns9761
New Glock Fan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyhole View Post
Glad you had fun. I really enjoy my local IDPA group. And if you haven't heard it already, focus on accuracy and let the speed come later.
If I had a nickle for every time somebody said that too me, the match would have been paid for. I knew to watch my sights, but something about that buzzer just scrambled my brain and erased years of training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by November Sunrise View Post
How do you like your Remington 1911? I am looking very closely at one myself.
After shooting it, I realized that a mil-spec 1911 isn't an ideal gun for personal defense or competition unless you're planning on adding accessories as you go. I've already installed a Chip McCormick beavertail, and I'm planning on adding an extended safety, and possibly a Wilson Combat mag well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDawg48 View Post
That is great that you started doing that. Showing up for the first match is the most difficult thing you'll do. And you are right that nothing shines a light on what skills need work more than operating under stress. Just keep at it and post when you have a match!
Yeah, I'm hooked now. Our club does a match the first Saturday of every month. Hopefully, if my budget holds out, I'll be attending a match next month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huber View Post
Congrats now its in your blood
No doubt! I think it was the most intense shooting experience I've ever had in my life. I'm not quite sure if IDPA tops getting to shoot the .50BMG M2 machine gun...but it's pretty darn close.

Tags
competition, idpa