Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-09-2011, 19:30   #1
TrueGunNut

osprey and tirant: understanding the value of a 45 suppressor

I have this Hk45C and have been thinking about how "neat" it might be to have a quality suppressor and maybe laser light combo and make it all tacticool looking.

I have spent the past 2 hours researching Osprey 45 vs. TiRant 45 cans. I like the fact you can safely shoot them dry because I think I would get annoyed carrying around some liquid to fill it up all the time to make it hearing safe. That just sounds like an inconvenience. I want to be able to hook it up and rock.

After those 2 hours of researching, I realized, I have never heard a .45 cal suppressor on a pistol. It would be stupid to want to buy something and never have heard it in person. I've seen youtube and that is all.

So...shooting one of these cans DRY, how awesome is it? Seems like a lot of trouble and cost if I end up disappointed. I see that you can get to ~134db with these cans. What is that equivalent to? I have no idea what the sound would be similar to. Would it be quieter than someone slamming a door, for instance?

Long winded...but I have been obsessed with suppressors today and just need to get this all straight...so i can put my O.C.D. to rest or buy one of these damn novelties.

Thanks
TrueGunNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 14:01   #2
Zak Smith
3Gunner

134 dB is close to the same as a suppressed .308 (measured 1 meter to the side of the muzzle).

For my own money, I'd buy a 9mm suppressor and shoot subsonic 9 through it. That will be quieter than a .45. It's only recently that anyone has made .45 pistol suppressors that weren't damn loud (dry).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Zak Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 16:19   #3
TrueGunNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak Smith View Post
It's only recently that anyone has made .45 pistol suppressors that weren't damn loud (dry).

Right. Which brings us to the osprey and tirant 45. If I have never heard a suppressed 45, how would you explain the sound. And, is it worth it? Could I shoot in my backyard in the suburbs with it and no one would know? (I wouldn't break the law, I'm just using an example) Or would only a .22lr suppressor fit that bill?

Thanks
TrueGunNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 18:17   #4
Zak Smith
3Gunner

I'm sorry, I answered as if you had heard a modern .308 suppressor, which is right where 134 dB is. 130 dB is equivalent to a jet plane at 100 feet. Obviously the gun shot is near instantaneous. I don't know the origin of the 134 dB number.

The sound is sort of like a pressurized air hose being disconnected, but muffled.

A suppressed .22LR pistol shooting subsonic ammunition sounds kind of similar to a staple gun (the manual Arrow type), maybe a little bit louder.

You'll get more suppression from a 9mm model, but I think both of these are much better than just novelties.

Zak Smith is offline   Reply With Quote