SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:52   #1
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

8 tips on contacts with 'open carry' citizens (policeone.com)

http://www.policeone.com/off-duty/ar...arry-citizens/
Open carry is gaining momentum in areas of the country that wonít allow concealed carry permits, or where those permits are so highly restricted as to be all but impossible to obtain. Debates and arguments for and against open carry are fueling increasing concerns and outright alarm on both sides.
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:12   #2
coondog22554
Lifetime Membership

" Understand that ó as with any belief that people feel strongly about ó open carry is a form of political protest."

Old 04-25-2011, 11:16   #3
RussP

Some quotes from the article:
Quote:
It is always the intent of the person, not the firearm, that matters.

A side note to the citizen carrying openly: You should expect to be contacted law enforcement. You should expect to be feared by some, and considered to be a person of interest to many. Understand that by wearing a weapon in the open, you raise the perceived threat level in the eyes of law enforcement and other citizens. Friendly behavior goes a long way. People key on behavior rather than the weapon. Most folks respond well to a smile, polite behavior or a warm hello rather than a cold stare. I recommend that approach. You will be surprised how many people respond in a positive manner when you do that. Actually, this holds true on both sides of an open carry discussion, contact, or encounter...

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 13:10   #4
Steve in Az
Glock 26

The reason there is "increasing concerns and outright alarm on both sides" is because the liberal agenda has tried to make gun ownership a "shameful" thing---and largely succeeded. It's your RIGHT, exercise it. The mamby-pambys will come around in time.

In the words of Uncle Ted "the second amendment is my concealed carry permit."

Last edited by Steve in Az; 04-25-2011 at 13:13..
Steve in Az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 13:18   #5
WHEC724

"6.) It still takes time to draw and load the firearm. It can be done in around two seconds for well trained individuals. As with any contact, watch the hands and body language. "

'Very naive statement here. I'm also surprised by the author's assumption that all open-carry is a political statement. I found the article to be very poor and mis-informed advice.
WHEC724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:48   #6
Thorazine

Send a message via AIM to Thorazine
Quote:
3.) Targeting open carry by finding ways to charge people with other violations and then ticketing or arresting them may backfire and could be very expensive in the long run. One of the universities in Utah apparently tried this approach and it was leaked to the press. Now we run into civil liberties violations, etc.
Ahh shucks! =(
Thorazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:01   #7
A6Gator

I thought it was a thoughtful, well-written article.
Old 04-27-2011, 18:56   #8
glock75

Good article. I liked it.
glock75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 19:32   #9
kensteele

I don't do sigs but if I did, this would be mine:

"In the end, we have to look at what the law allows and be able to deal with a legal activity, regardless of our personal feelings on the matter."

I personally think the article is pretty good.

Last edited by kensteele; 04-27-2011 at 19:38..
kensteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 19:42   #10
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Az View Post
The reason there is "increasing concerns and outright alarm on both sides" is because the liberal agenda has tried to make gun ownership a "shameful" thing---and largely succeeded. It's your RIGHT, exercise it. The mamby-pambys will come around in time.

In the words of Uncle Ted "the second amendment is my concealed carry permit."
Really?

I've carried guns since before I was old enough to vote and everybody in my family, young, old, male or female, owns and carries guns. But when I see some stranger walking around a store with a gun, my first thought is not a warm fuzzy feeling that he's a potential shooting buddy. If that's your first reaction, you'll need a lot more than a gun to protect yourself in the real world.

I'm just getting tired of minivan commandos who got their first gun last year, acting like they are saviors of gun ownership who are going to liberate everybody's minds with open carry. They're the worst enemies gun owners have right now.

Last edited by Bren; 04-27-2011 at 19:43..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 19:50   #11
kensteele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Really?

I've carried guns since before I was old enough to vote and everybody in my family, young, old, male or female, owns and carries guns. But when I see some stranger walking around a store with a gun, my first thought is not a warm fuzzy feeling that he's a potential shooting buddy. If that's your first reaction, you'll need a lot more than a gun to protect yourself in the real world.

I'm just getting tired of minivan commandos who got their first gun last year, acting like they are saviors of gun ownership who are going to liberate everybody's minds with open carry. They're the worst enemies gun owners have right now.
"Even if you donít agree with open carry, stay objective and keep your feelings to yourself."
Old 04-27-2011, 20:16   #12
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensteele View Post
"Even if you donít agree with open carry, stay objective and keep your feelings to yourself."
Pot meet kettle! you don't own this site!
Old 04-27-2011, 21:47   #13
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensteele View Post

Do you actually understand the concept of an open forum?

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 22:12   #14
kensteele

8 tips on contacts with 'open carry' citizens

The PoliceOne Firearms Corner
with Ron Avery

Here are some thoughts to ponder as well as tips to go by.

"5.Even if you donít agree with open carry, stay objective and keep your feelings to yourself."

http://www.policeone.com/off-duty/ar...arry-citizens/

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatbwana View Post
Pot meet kettle! you don't own this site!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post

Jack
It's a quote from the article, did you even read it?

If you would spend more time listening to good advice.....
Old 04-28-2011, 07:51   #15
PEC-Memphis
Scottish Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post

Jack
Jack - you always make me chuckle.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:05   #16
Gunnut 45/454

Quote:
3.) Targeting open carry by finding ways to charge people with other violations and then ticketing or arresting them may backfire and could be very expensive in the long run. One of the universities in Utah apparently tried this approach and it was leaked to the press. Now we run into civil liberties violations, etc.

Wow! Can't charge someone for exersising there right to carry so lets trump up any charge we can!! I think this is one cop that needs to loose his job! This is exactly the type we don't need enforcing the laws!
Old 04-28-2011, 11:20   #17
GeorgiaRedfish

Let the cop bashing begin!
Old 04-28-2011, 13:08   #18
Steve in Az
Glock 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
First gun? Commando? Look at your avatar there, junior.

The partially-committed, such as yourself, "behaving" for the rest of the public are the worst threat to our rights--In my opinion.

BTW, I'm 49, have owned guns since I can remember, and an Army war veteran. Maybe get your facts straight before running your mouth.

...oh, and I've never owned a mini van.

Is that "Bren" as in Bren-Ten? And I'm the commando...

Last edited by Steve in Az; 04-28-2011 at 13:13..
Steve in Az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 13:14   #19
eracer
Where's my EBT?

The fear of open carry is just that - FEAR.

A criminal with the intent to commit a crime using a firearm is a criminal whether that firearm is concealed or not.

Likewise, a law-abiding citizen is not more likely to use a weapon when he or she carries it openly.

These are simple truths.

My 'feeling' is that open carry tends to alarm police, and criminals alike. Criminals should NEVER be allowed to feel comfortable around me, and police have nothing to fear.

Last edited by eracer; 04-28-2011 at 13:15..
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 19:42   #20
Toorop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnut 45/454 View Post
Quote:

Wow! Can't charge someone for exersising there right to carry so lets trump up any charge we can!! I think this is one cop that needs to loose his job! This is exactly the type we don't need enforcing the laws!
Well if they didn't break the law they could not "trump up any charge they can" could they. I am sorry but it is not the fault of the officer that the open carry ccw warrior was breaking the law while open carrying. Do you think officers are at fault when they arrest a murderer who just shot someone with a handgun and is now openly carrying a weapon around? Should the officer be fired because they trumped up charges for someone who broke the law?
Toorop is offline   Reply With Quote