SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:05   #1
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

This is getting a bit worrisome.

As my daughter drove me back up the mountain from the hospital yesterday I noticed something in the sky that is not a welcome sight for mountain dwellers;
an air tanker dropping fire retardant and a helicopter with a water bucket.

Turns out we have a forest fire blazing within two miles of the house. Although several mountain homes were evacuated late yesterday afternoon the winds are coming from the west, southwest and the fire is basically to the east, northeast of me.

Although it has calmed in the last hour or so the winds were a steady 20 mph with gusts of 30 mph. That may not be a blessing since it might be more likely that embers could drift back toward the west. If you've never been near a forest fire suffice it to say that you will not save your home by standing on the roof with a garden hose and if it's within a couple of miles and the wind is blowing in your direction you may have enough time to swing open pasture gates to let the livestock fend for themselves, climb in your vehicle and get the hell out.

Over the years I've been evacuated several times but the warning was always early enough to at least throw stuff on the trailers, in the motor home and in the trucks and head in the opposite direction. The worst was during the Hayman fire, it got within six miles, had burned 130,000 acres and was headed straight for us. Had several friends who lost absolutely everything. You don't stop a fire like that... even with a 10 mm.

Unfortunately we had no winter around here this year, we're around 70 inches behind average snowfall and it's as dry as a case of popcorn flatulence. Last month there were 64 fires and the fire season doesn't even start until May 1st. This could be a real long summer... or a real short one, depending on how the wind blows.

Now I gotta decide what to take with me if I have to evacuate, the guns, 1050's, powder and primers... or the grandkids?

I'm really gettin' too old for this... or maybe it's just the excitement I need. Either way, life goes on... there'll always be someone I can piss off.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:12   #2
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
As my daughter drove me back up the mountain from the hospital yesterday I noticed something in the sky that is not a welcome sight for mountain dwellers;
an air tanker dropping fire retardant and a helicopter with a water bucket.

Turns out we have a forest fire blazing within two miles of the house. Although several mountain homes were evacuated late yesterday afternoon the winds are coming from the west, southwest and the fire is basically to the east, northeast of me.

Although it has calmed in the last hour or so the winds were a steady 20 mph with gusts of 30 mph. That may not be a blessing since it might be more likely that embers could drift back toward the west. If you've never been near a forest fire suffice it to say that you will not save your home by standing on the roof with a garden hose and if it's within a couple of miles and the wind is blowing in your direction you may have enough time to swing open pasture gates to let the livestock fend for themselves, climb in your vehicle and get the hell out.

Over the years I've been evacuated several times but the warning was always early enough to at least throw stuff on the trailers, in the motor home and in the trucks and head in the opposite direction. The worst was during the Hayman fire, it got within six miles, had burned 130,000 acres and was headed straight for us. Had several friends who lost absolutely everything. You don't stop a fire like that... even with a 10 mm.

Unfortunately we had no winter around here this year, we're around 70 inches behind average snowfall and it's as dry as a case of popcorn flatulence. Last month there were 64 fires and the fire season doesn't even start until May 1st. This could be a real long summer... or a real short one, depending on how the wind blows.

Now I gotta decide what to take with me if I have to evacuate, the guns, 1050's, powder and primers... or the grandkids?

I'm really gettin' too old for this... or maybe it's just the excitement I need. Either way, life goes on... there'll always be someone I can piss off.

Jack
Well, maybe the grandkids can hold the 1050's, guns, etc..?

Hopefully the winds stay in your favor

IGF
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:32   #3
PCJim

Quote:

Jack
Jack, you lived in Florida long enough to know that one needs to take precautions and to begin preparing WELL IN ADVANCE of any of the sanity checks that Mother Nature occasionally throws at us. That said, I'd be more than willing to send my address so that you can prepare in advance.

With that problem solved, you'd best grab the grandkids...
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:56   #4
Colorado4Wheel

I will be happy to evac those 1050's for you tonight.
Old 04-22-2011, 13:00   #5
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Save the primers!!!!

You should have let me log up there last fall.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 13:01   #6
fredj338

Where is that big water tank & fire hose Jack?
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 13:03   #7
6StringGeek
full-time n00b

We had a big fire near our house (luckily the winds changed) and the insurance co. told us to take photos of everything in and outside of the house for our claim. She said that there was no way we could provide a complete inventory off the top of our heads...good advice.
6StringGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 13:07   #8
sellersm
disciplinare

Plenty of room at my house for storing your stuff, plus I'm closer than Steve.

Stay safe.....

I do expect more and more of this to happen as summer comes along. It's just so dry around here!

Prosecute criminals, not guns!
sellersm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 13:10   #9
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Been raining here in the springs every afternoon. Just starting to turn green.

Hope you guys get a little relief.
Old 04-22-2011, 13:21   #10
Colorado4Wheel

Check your phone messages you Lee Loving Ford guy.
Old 04-22-2011, 13:24   #11
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Argh! Didn't see that.
Old 04-22-2011, 13:27   #12
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6StringGeek View Post
We had a big fire near our house (luckily the winds changed) and the insurance co. told us to take photos of everything in and outside of the house for our claim. She said that there was no way we could provide a complete inventory off the top of our heads...good advice.
Jack is not one of us mere mortals.. You forget that Jack is a trained investigator, with the memory of a cat, and the reflexes of an elephant... er..

IGF
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
Old 04-22-2011, 13:34   #13
PCJim

I think you fellas in Colorado should all send your equipment and arms to Florida for safe storage, at least until the fire season is over. No need to be sending it from one house to another, only to have to move it again as you run from yet another fire fury.

I'm sure if I don't have the room, that UncleBob would also be more than willing to show some southern hospitality and devote some room, too.
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 13:36   #14
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

It warms the cockles of my heart to see how concerned you all are about my guns and loading equipment. Such compassion is a rare thing in today's society.

The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis.

Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.

Jack

Old 04-22-2011, 13:45   #15
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCJim View Post
I think you fellas in Colorado should all send your equipment and arms to Florida for safe storage, at least until the fire season is over. No need to be sending it from one house to another, only to have to move it again as you run from yet another fire fury.

I'm sure if I don't have the room, that UncleBob would also be more than willing to show some southern hospitality and devote some room, too.
Are you nuts? There's moisture down there!
Old 04-22-2011, 13:55   #16
Colorado4Wheel

Nascar Sucks!
Old 04-22-2011, 15:32   #17
leeward419

Send a message via ICQ to leeward419
No one asked if you were ok, ie the HOSPITAL visit?
You ok?
Hope all is well
Old 04-22-2011, 15:33   #18
WiskyT
Malcontent

Updates? Two miles could have been covered by now. Good luck Jack.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 15:38   #19
themighty9mm

Kill it with fire jack.
Maybe not the whole thing but around your property. Seems like you have 5 options.
Take out the fuel, take out the oxygen, water, wait n hope, or run for the lowlands. I will go out on a limb and guess you dont have a giant BBQ lid, or a hose that can pump enough water. A controlled burn around your property might be enough depending on how much property you have.

Last edited by themighty9mm; 04-22-2011 at 15:45..
themighty9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 15:58   #20
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeward419 View Post
No one asked if you were ok, ie the HOSPITAL visit?
You ok?
Hope all is well
Had to go in for a CT scan and MRI. It's alway good for a few grins when the radiologist sees how many times I've broken my back... then they tell me there's no way I can still be walking, as I turn and walk away. (They're use to dealing with lesser men... flatlanders mostly. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by themighty9mm View Post
Kill it with fire jack.
Maybe not the whole thing but around your property. Seems like you have 5 options.
Take out the fuel, take out the oxygen, water, wait n hope, or run for the lowlands. I will go out on a limb and guess you dont have a giant BBQ lid, or a hose that can pump enough water. A controlled burn around your property might be enough depending on how much property you have.

If I set a backfire I'm pretty much gonna have to burn 6 to 7 thousand trees. I'm guessing the fire department is gonna frown on that. Besides, where would I hold our paintball wars?

Jack

Old 04-22-2011, 16:04   #21
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
Updates? Two miles could have been covered by now. Good luck Jack.
I hope this isn't him...

Reloading

(seriously Jack... you stay safe.. it's all just stuff and can be replaced)..

IGF
RIP Jack
Old 04-22-2011, 16:11   #22
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
I hope this isn't him...

Reloading

IGF
This is the way I looked until I figured out what you did there

Reloading

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 16:15   #23
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

It's raining like crazy here.. (just saw on the news there's a flash flood warning).. maybe some of this will work its way west.
RIP Jack

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 04-22-2011 at 16:15..
Old 04-22-2011, 16:17   #24
joker42179

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
I hope this isn't him...

Reloading

IGF
Sig Sauer Club Member #553
Tactical Shotgun Club Member #1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
I don't have any out of the way places big enough for my ego.
joker42179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 16:40   #25
themighty9mm

Quote:

If I set a backfire I'm pretty much gonna have to burn 6 to 7 thousand trees. I'm guessing the fire department is gonna frown on that. Besides, where would I hold our paintball wars?

Jack
Yea that might be a problem. Other than news coverage and the movie bambi, I have never really seen how intense a wildfire is. Would it be plausable to just burn back a half a acre or just a acre in any direction? Would that be enough? Or would that still be several thousand trees?
As far as your paintball feild. Pallets are free for the most part

If thats not an option. Pop the top on a cold one and sit back n watch. Untill its time to run to the flatlanders. However it happens, good luck n stay safe
themighty9mm is offline   Reply With Quote