Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:29   #1
mbwilli

1911 mag issue, question

Well I have been experiencing some consistent issues with a new Dan Wesson CCO and was hoping I could get some guidance.

The last round in almost every magazine jumps out, does not chamber and sits loose on top of the magazine, slide is locked back. Sometimes the last round gets jammed nose up. Now more then 500 round through the gun.

The gun has been back to Dan Wesson and they could not reproduce the problem. I have had constant communication with them about the continuing issue. The latest advice is to squeeze the top of the magazines in a vice a bit to apply extra pressure to the last round so it doesnt jump out of the magazine. This is happening with 6 factory magazines that were said to be tested with the gun for me as well as numerous other magazines including new and well proven.

This is my 5th 1911 not a novice...and before you say buy a Glock I already have 7, I carry one every day.

Advice welcome as well as anyone who can give me more detail on "squeezing the top of the magazine, process"....

Thanks
mbwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:10   #2
knedrgr

that sucks that the issue can't be duplicated at DW. I haven't had any issue with my DW CCO. But it has only seen about 250 rounds thru it. The Check Mate mags has been flawless in both the CCO and SA Ultra Compact.

What other mags have you tried with it?
COTEFT #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

knedrgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:16   #3
mbwilli

I have used Wilson 47D's, Kimbers, Chip McCormicks all work flawlessly with my other 1911's.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:17   #4
rallyrs01

I have had a similar issue with my RIA. With a colt mag with the little dimple in the top of the follower everything works fine but with Wilson Combat mags with the smooth follower sometimes the last round slides about one half and inch locking the slide. The only thing I can say it to try it with "dimpled" mags and see if that helps.
rallyrs01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 14:28   #5
TSAX
USAF Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbwilli View Post
I have used Wilson 47D's, Chip McCormicks all work flawlessly with my other 1911's.
Chip Power 10's and Wilson's

GSSF Member

NRA Member
TSAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 15:47   #6
RH45

Quote:
Well I have been experiencing some consistent issues with a new Dan Wesson CCO and was hoping I could get some guidance.

The last round in almost every magazine jumps out, does not chamber and sits loose on top of the magazine, slide is locked back. Sometimes the last round gets jammed nose up. Now more then 500 round through the gun.

The gun has been back to Dan Wesson and they could not reproduce the problem. I have had constant communication with them about the continuing issue. The latest advice is to squeeze the top of the magazines in a vice a bit to apply extra pressure to the last round so it doesnt jump out of the magazine. This is happening with 6 factory magazines that were said to be tested with the gun for me as well as numerous other magazines including new and well proven.

This is my 5th 1911 not a novice...and before you say buy a Glock I already have 7, I carry one every day.

Advice welcome as well as anyone who can give me more detail on "squeezing the top of the magazine, process"....

Thanks
When you say that the last round is jammed, "nose up", do you mean the round is straight up, or, that it has partially entered the barrel?
RH45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 16:51   #7
1911Tuner

Two malfunctions from the same magazine...both caused by the same problem. Weak spring.

One is known as jumping the lips. Weak spring is the most likely culprit. The lack of a speed bump on the follower is a player. Most often happens on the last round, but can happen on the next to last round...jumping clear of the gun...with the last round chambering normally. If you've ever found live rounds among your brass...Heeeere's yer sign.

The other is called Bolt-Over Base misfeed. Same problem. Overspringing the slide is often a contributor, but rarely the sole cause if the mag spring is up to snuff. What happens is that the slide literally outruns the magazine and the cartridge isn't fully seated in the feeding position. Breechface rail catches the case in the extractor groove. Base goes down...Nose goes up.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:52   #8
kid168

Anyone try Act-Mag?-these are made in Italy. Ive got several and they work flawlessly. I tried it with different 1911s (Colt, Kimber, Norinco, Para, Caspian). I was amazed with there reliability, im guessing is due to the "anti-tilt" plastic follower. My 2 cents worth
kid168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 19:58   #9
mbwilli

Thanks for the input after consulting the dealer again it is going back to Dan Wesson. I will let you guys know the outcome, hopefully soon.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:39   #10
m814

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyrs01 View Post
I have had a similar issue with my RIA. With a colt mag with the little dimple in the top of the follower everything works fine but with Wilson Combat mags with the smooth follower sometimes the last round slides about one half and inch locking the slide. The only thing I can say it to try it with "dimpled" mags and see if that helps.
Had this same issue on an old SA Champion I owned a while back. Changed to dimpled mags and Tripp mags and never had the issue again. My current Champion, Colt, and Baer do not have an issue with slick top followers. Guess it depends on recoil impulse and the gun.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:50   #11
Eagle22

Quote:
I have used Wilson 47D's, Kimbers, Chip McCormicks all work flawlessly with my other 1911's.
These look like good options. Any others ?

NC Glockers #139
Eagle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:18   #12
ArmoryDoc

Hold the gun tighter when you fire. The round is jumping out of the mag nose first because of the recoil. Because the mag is nearly empty there is less spring tension. Hold it tighter to reduce the nose flip of the gun. In addition, definitely get the dimpled followers.
ArmoryDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 17:14   #13
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

I had a weird instance last year with a .45 and a Wilson magazine.
It was a 47D mag and would constantly malfunction. One of the dirty little tricks it liked to play, was tossing live rounds out on the ground.

I think this was a combination of the magazine, and the unknown but extra power recoil spring. A switch over to a Metalform magazine solved the round tossing problem, but produced another one. The gun would not lock back after the last round was fired.

I don't think the slide was making it fully to the rear.
A live fire function test with my Gold Cup's hardball spring solved all issues, though it wasn't the Gold Cup that was messing up. I just used the extra spring.

I installed a new variable power recoil spring.

For what it's worth this gun I am talking about is the High Standard Camp Perry model I have written about here before. The one that had taken to dropping to half cock when the slide was released.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 20:33   #14
mbwilli

Good input again. I thought about the weak wrist on the last round and focused on a firm grip and had another shooter do the same with the same results. Hopefully I will have it back this week. I'll let u know what Dan Wesson says.

Tags
cco, dan wesson, magazine, problem